Home

Batting stances- aesthetic or substance?

This is a discussion on Batting stances- aesthetic or substance? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Batting stances- aesthetic or substance?

Do batting stances/effects(and pitching motions) actually have an effect on results in-game or are they solely for looks?

I updated my RTTS 2B’s batting stance in spring training going into the new season. I raised his hands a bit and switched to a two-handed followthrough and I’ve been launching everything a mile in the air. I don’t think I’ve hit a groundball yet over about 30 at-bats, with only a couple line drives. I hit more fly balls/popups than groundballs in general, but it was more like a 60/40 split with my one handed swing before. I’m not that good at hitting on a technical level as far as knowing how to get on top/underneath the ball, directional hitting, etc, but I haven’t changed my approach at all so I don’t know if this is just some random statistical abberation or if the 2 hand uppercut launch angle swing actually has an effect in game.

I also have a problem picking up the ball from sidearmers/submariners. Even when I guess the pitch it seems to take a split second longer to flash than one from an overhand pitcher, especially in lefty-on-lefty matchups. So are sidearmers/submariners/samehanded pitchers inherently harder to hit, like a hidden stat/effect on the game? Or do I just suck and need to get better at hitting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #2
Ride on Kentucky Kid

doubledeuceR6's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Batting stances- aesthetic or substance?

There are certain batting stances that I don't care for. I don't like Nomar Mazzara's stance, his bat wiggle and stance just don't suit my eye. I can't help but see the bat flailing around while I'm trying to concentrate on the pitchers release and it upsets my timing a bit. Love Shin Soo Choo's stance though!
Twitter: @CQRDeuce @CQRclub
www.cqrclub.co.uk
Old 04-19-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I hated Alphonso Sorianos stance from years ago. Couldn't hit a lick with that closed and crowded stance. I hated going against Darren O'Day. Glad I have him on my Orioles team now

It might be a mental block with guys like that but I opened Nolan Arenados stance and maybe it's a placebo but I can hit like he should now

A Work in Progress
Old 04-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #4
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

I don't think that batting stances have any effect on ratings or anything, but certain pitching styles do make the ball harder to locate. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
Banned

I seem to hit better with closed stances, bat not flailing away say Dante Bichette, Robin Yount or Ozzie Smith. Submariners are especially tough for me to pick up the ball, but that's as it should be. Faced one in real life and it was tough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drty_Windshield
I don't think that batting stances have any effect on ratings or anything, but certain pitching styles do make the ball harder to locate. That's my opinion anyway.
Ratings wise, I think you are very correct. Where certain batting stances seem to have an effect, though, is timing. More so the actual swing, rather than the batting stance.

Example from my Detroit Tiger's franchise.

Victor Martinez. I LOVE his swing. Part of it is, because in years past, I have used his batting stance for my RTTS player. But anyways.

Now, as we all know, Victor Martinez is on the tail end of his career. He cannot run a lick (0 speed) so he doesn't get any cheap hits. He is still pretty good, at 74 overall, but ratings are declining.

In my Tigers franchise, I play every pitch of every single game.

In 251 plate appearances (so no small sample size) 224 at bats, .290 average, 18 HR, 60 RBI, 16 doubles, 19 walks.

I see these numbers as WAY over performing based on his ratings, and lack of speed. Especially the power numbers. There is just something about that swing, that I can seem to time it perfectly almost every single time. Very rarely do I not square up a ball with him.

This is on All Star hitting difficulty for the first month of the season, then Hall Of Fame the rest of the way. Though, the numbers are pretty consistent before and after the switch.

That swing though......
Old 04-19-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

I totally agree that batting stances likely have no effect on how the game is simmed, or the outcome when the CPU handles things. However, with the human player, it very much does effect timing and how well you may be able to hit certain pitches, and where those hits go. Moreso, its the player's height + stance.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I totally agree that batting stances likely have no effect on how the game is simmed, or the outcome when the CPU handles things. However, with the human player, it very much does effect timing and how well you may be able to hit certain pitches, and where those hits go. Moreso, its the player's height + stance.
Well said. Guys with awkward leg movements in their stance can definitely distract me. Brad Miller has a huge knee lift in his stride and it definitely throws me (as the one operating the controller) off quite a bit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »