Home

What is your approach to hitting?

This is a discussion on What is your approach to hitting? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2018, 10:27 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: What is your approach to hitting?

First, I had to find/make a camera angle that just melds with my eye and my mind's eye (the visual perception so I can see the release and "draw a line" from it to the center of the strike zone - then I can also see the "definition" of the pitch to help ID it, which then informs my timing)

Ideally, I take until 2 strikes or until pitch somewhere "near" the middle zone. Doesn't have to be in it and can be in the other zones - hard to explain in text but hopefully you get the idea.

Code:
x = hit me
-----------------------
|                     |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   |
|                     |
-----------------------
Some of those places might not look hittable but they are, especially if my player likes it there and I swing with a timing that meshes with his natural timing (JL for Push, JE for Pull, G/P for Balanced/Up-the-Middle).

If it gets to two strikes - I pull down on L-stick (I'm Directional) and focus on being "late". That usually keeps me reading the pitch so I can better judge those narrow misses trying to make me chase and also help lay off high fastballs because the pitch will have started its "rise" and show me it's going out of the zone.

I almost always sit offspeed, and the slower the pitcher's offspeed/breaking stuff, the more adamantly I'll sit on it, even if he's one of those guys with 96-98 fastball and 75-78 curve combos, I'll sit curve all day. That keeps me from getting into "I gotta swing fast" mode. I'll accept JL/L on inside pitches if I must - I'll aim opposite with directional as well to open the window that way.

I have a really hard time with slow pitches that look more floaty wiffle ball than breaking balls with some pace. Henderson Alvarez in earlier games (used to come with a 68 MPH 12-6 curve and 95 MPH sinker...) and that reliever Abad...guys like that...

So this sit off speed and "be late" mindset helps me read it all the way in. If I'm getting late on sliders because I'm thinking curve, I'm doing something right. I just need to refine the eye to look for the curve signature so I can tell which is coming. Of course, if he has a "sweeping" slider or a KNCV or his arm angle + camera angle makes both seem that way...but no method beats all pitchers!

Using the Directional feature - I usually pull down...try to get more line drives (I'm a LD fanatic of sorts, I want my 20-25% line drives!) and, hopefully, decrease lazy fly balls (hate those) or...gasp...pop ups. I'd rather strike out than pop up...

That said, with slugger types, I'll go the opposite - pull up. I DON'T want grounders with those. Liners or low-flies. Of course, I might get the pop-ups but with a 90 Power type, I can justify that more than with a 50 Power type.

Swing type? A lot of X, but I will shift based on the hitter's ratings. High Contact and vision, I'll contact more - blow the PCI up so he has a good chance and more forgiveness in his swing to still get a strong result. Also foul balls off in case I miss read. Power type - power swing. "Let the dog out". Even if he mis-hits (censor pls) the ball, enough power rating and power swing can still do damage...especially to the right part of the yard. I will especially do this at Fenway and Coors. A 304 foot pop fly at Fenway can be a gift triple with enough speed on the batter and Coors is so spacious, hit to the right spot, the fielders won't get there - Comerica and AT&T too.

Everyone else - usually situational if I want a specific batted ball type. Power if I want a fly ball (either avoid DP or try to get a guy like Tony Kemp or Mallex Smith to get a can of corn with some carry for a sac fly). Contact if grounder (move runner up, GB to bring in runner on 3rd), etc.

Last edited by KBLover; 04-22-2018 at 10:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »