Home

Franchise-please need help

This is a discussion on Franchise-please need help within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2018, 05:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Franchise-please need help

Hello folks,
I am from Austria, native language is German so I would need a little help from you guys.
I want to set up a Franchise in the right way, but do not want to use 30-team control as it seems too difficult for me.
I have my user profile created and all set to manual.
So now Is my question what is the difference between a 25-man and a 40-man roster. If I choose the new OSFMv2.2 I know this is a 25-man roster. Waht settings I have to choose in the franchise mode in the window where I can select CPU Roster Control. Do I have to choose On or OFF? What are the differences? I know so many questions, but any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

Re: Franchise-please need help

25 man is what your regular season will start with roster wise.
40 man is essentially for people who like to go through spring training and decide which player/players will stay on their 25 man roster when regular season starts.

If you prefer to sim to reg season or just start at reg season then 25 man roster is what you will need.
Toronto Maple Leafs
Old 05-10-2018, 07:54 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syce
25 man is what your regular season will start with roster wise.
40 man is essentially for people who like to go through spring training and decide which player/players will stay on their 25 man roster when regular season starts.

If you prefer to sim to reg season or just start at reg season then 25 man roster is what you will need.
Thanks man, and what about CPU Roster Control? Will there be Trades, Call-Ups and -Downs if I start with 25-man?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasedToMeetMe
Thanks man, and what about CPU Roster Control? Will there be Trades, Call-Ups and -Downs if I start with 25-man?
Create another profile and set everything you want the CPU to handle with the other 29 teams to auto, and set what you want to handle to Manual. I personally have everything set to manual except lineups and the 40 man roster (which I like to control and set).

If you turn on CPU Roster Control there will be no injuries or trades etc. So don’t turn that on in a proper franchise. (I do turn that on when I use classic rosters and want to simply replay a season with no trades or injuries due to roster sizes being too tight).
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Create another profile and set everything you want the CPU to handle with the other 29 teams to auto, and set what you want to handle to Manual. I personally have everything set to manual except lineups and the 40 man roster (which I like to control and set).

If you turn on CPU Roster Control there will be no injuries or trades etc. So don’t turn that on in a proper franchise. (I do turn that on when I use classic rosters and want to simply replay a season with no trades or injuries due to roster sizes being too tight).
Thanks, I think you meant everything on Auto except lineups and 40 man roster, right?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #6
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Having someone on the 25 man roster means they are on your MLB team.

Being on the 40 man roster means that it is possible for a player to be on the MLB team. A player cannot possibly be on your MLB team without being on the 40 man.

Having a player on the 40 man has benefits and drawbacks. Obviously the first benefit is that it is possible for them to play in the MLB. The second is that they are protected from the rule 5 draft, a draft that happens in the off season where teams get a chance to take other teams players. Only players who have been playing professional baseball for a set amount of time without being on the 40 man qualify to be drafted. You can find a player's rule 5 draft qualification status on their player card, and the new phases feature will warn you if one or more of your players qualify before the draft happens. Players that are drafted in the rule 5 draft must spend the entire next season on the MLB (25 man) roster or else they are returned to the team that they got drafted away from.

The drawback is that once a player is on the 40 man roster, they get three options. Options allow a manager to send a player to the minors without consequence. Once an option is used, a player can be sent down and called up an infinite number of times that season without consequence. So three options basically means three years of free movement between MLB and the minors. Once all three options are used, a player must clear waivers before they can play in the minors (and not count towards your 25 man). This basically means that every other team has a chance to claim that player for a few days. Once a player has cleared waivers they can be called up or sent down until the next waiver reset, which happens a few times a season.

So in essence, you want to populate your 25 man with who you think are your best players, and your 40 man with people you think have a chance at playing in the MLB. You want to keep everyone else off the 40 man for as long as possible, until they either qualify for the rule 5 draft (if you want to keep them) or you feel they are MLB ready.

Sorry for the essay, I know English isn't your first language, let me know if it's too much and I'll try to edit it and simplify the wording.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-10-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Having someone on the 25 man roster means they are on your MLB team.

Being on the 40 man roster means that it is possible for a player to be on the MLB team. A player cannot possibly be on your MLB team without being on the 40 man.

Having a player on the 40 man has benefits and drawbacks. Obviously the first benefit is that it is possible for them to play in the MLB. The second is that they are protected from the rule 5 draft, a draft that happens in the off season where teams get a chance to take other teams players. Only players who have been playing professional baseball for a set amount of time without being on the 40 man qualify to be drafted. You can find a player's rule 5 draft qualification status on their player card, and the new phases feature will warn you if one or more of your players qualify before the draft happens. Players that are drafted in the rule 5 draft must spend the entire next season on the MLB (25 man) roster or else they are returned to the team that they got drafted away from.

The drawback is that once a player is on the 40 man roster, they get three options. Options allow a manager to send a player to the minors without consequence. Once an option is used, a player can be sent down and called up an infinite number of times that season without consequence. So three options basically means three years of free movement between MLB and the minors. Once all three options are used, a player must clear waivers before they can play in the minors (and not count towards your 25 man). This basically means that every other team has a chance to claim that player for a few days. Once a player has cleared waivers they can be called up or sent down until the next waiver reset, which happens a few times a season.

So in essence, you want to populate your 25 man with who you think are your best players, and your 40 man with people you think have a chance at playing in the MLB. You want to keep everyone else off the 40 man for as long as possible, until they either qualify for the rule 5 draft (if you want to keep them) or you feel they are MLB ready.

Sorry for the essay, I know English isn't your first language, let me know if it's too much and I'll try to edit it and simplify the wording.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Operation Sports mobile app
After reading it three times it seems I understand it. As I really only want to play one or two seasons with my franchise (not so much time, work and other games) I think the best is to use 25-man roster with 2 profiles.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Hate to hijack thread but I have a quick question. If I start with 25 man rosters will the computer be smart enough to populate their 40 man if I don’t use 30 team control? Or if I start with 40 man rosters will the computer eventually change up the 40 man to protect the correct players?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »