Home

Major Global Lighting Bug (Fenway)

This is a discussion on Major Global Lighting Bug (Fenway) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 AM   #9
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Major Global Lighting Bug (Fenway)

Nice insightful post that added absolutely nothing.

Stop thread whining. Do what yo momma told you.

People who know me, from the devs, to here, know I don’t nitpick. I thought there was an issue that I seemingly been corrected on. The devs themselves helped curate this culture, from the community events, to feedback on uniform, mannerism authenticity, “the little things”, etc.. I used to be one of the CE guys that had to “pay attention to the details” in stadiums and uniforms to go back and forth with select devs for improvements and adjustments.

It’s called feedback. Otherwise, you can still be playing your Atari games and, “not complain”.

As for the lighting where I thought was an issue, I finally got a clear sky game in my franchise and it did not do above. So I just learned, that it is a mechanic off the clouds, even if I personally feel it could be dialed back a hair as far as intensity on how jarring it can be per batter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 05-26-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #10
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Major Global Lighting Bug (Fenway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Are you saying it is the result of the sun reflecting light off of the clouds? So when those clouds reach the sun's direct light path, it brightens due to the clouds reflecting it more?

What confused me was the other person's comment about the sun going behind the clouds... when at Fenway, it would not be behind those clouds that are super bright.

So they are super bright due to reflecting the sun's direct light path? Then out of the light path, then later in the game again in the light path to reflect based on the suns positioning?

I don't know that the game has light reflecting off the clouds, so I don't want to guess too far on that; but a lot of your pics are definitely the cloud obstructing the sun. The faded shadows, the "cooler" blue look to everything, etc.

I think (emphasis on think, because clearly I know as much as anyone else) that the super bright is due to the camera angle when playing, it's placing more importance on the field/players and making sure the lighting there is balanced. The light reflecting off the clouds gets blown out in the background as an effect of that. Again, that's just what I think is happening - obviously if any Sony guys are lurking around they can pop in and clear this all up, haha.

As for it happening too suddenly between batters...I can see that point, but it's not something that bothers me. I just chalk it up to something video gamey because it's not running a real-time sky simulation.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:37 AM   #11
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
I don't know that the game has light reflecting off the clouds, so I don't want to guess too far on that; but a lot of your pics are definitely the cloud obstructing the sun. The faded shadows, the "cooler" blue look to everything, etc.

I think (emphasis on think, because clearly I know as much as anyone else) that the super bright is due to the camera angle when playing, it's placing more importance on the field/players and making sure the lighting there is balanced. The light reflecting off the clouds gets blown out in the background as an effect of that. Again, that's just what I think is happening - obviously if any Sony guys are lurking around they can pop in and clear this all up, haha.

As for it happening too suddenly between batters...I can see that point, but it's not something that bothers me. I just chalk it up to something video gamey because it's not running a real-time sky simulation.
I thought it was the clouds obstructing too since that is what it looks like, but the only thing is, the sun is behind home plate/third baseline at Fenway (around that time, you can tell by the lightpoles and behind home plate shadows). It would not be out in right CF for the clouds to obstruct... then it is seemingly in RF later on if it's the clouds obstructing. That is where my confusion is.

It only seems to happen in 4:00pm games. The 1:00pm game I played it was consistent every single batter, albeit clear skies and normal shadow progression.

Sent from Tatooine using Tapatalk

Last edited by EnigmaNemesis; 05-25-2018 at 01:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2018, 02:53 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 0

You are overthinking this way too much.

The difference is, as I stated before, when the sun is unobstructed and shining on the field, versus when it is literally behind a cloud and you are seeing the dimmed lighting.

The clouds in your pictures are not the ones in which the sun is behind. As you have already stated, the sun is behind home plate and heading towards the third base side of Fenway during this time. The clouds that the sun are going behind are literally right on that side of the stadium, as well.

As in real life, when this occurs, the camera will adjust to take in more light and gives an appearance of a cool (or blueish) hue. When the sun comes back out from behind the clouds the camera will become "hot" and take in more lighting and things will have a warmer hue to them.

But as you are already sort of deducing if you were to select the weather with clear skies you would not see these transitions, as there would not be virtual clouds for the sun to go behind. When the screen darkens like you're describing, the virtual sun has gone behind a virtual cloud (which do move in the game) and your point of view from inside of the ballpark is casked in a virtual shadow.

See the crude diagram below:

0> [_____i______] >>>

Legend:
0=sun >=cloud [____]=fenway i=plyers
>>>=clouds in the outfield that you are seeing that aren't obstructing the sun
Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 AM   #13
All Star

SmashMan's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
I thought it was the clouds obstructing too since that is what it looks like, but the only thing is, the sun is behind home plate/third baseline at Fenway (around that time, you can tell by the lightpoles and behind home plate shadows). It would not be out in right CF for the clouds to obstruct... then it is seemingly in RF later on if it's the clouds obstructing. That is where my confusion is.
Sorry man, you lose me any time you reference the sun being in right-center. Any cloud obstruction is happening behind home plate, obviously you know this because we can look at the shadows and see the light source coming from that direction.

The sky's appearance that happens with the different degrees of cloud coverage (which I think is what you're talking about on the darkest screens) is I think just a result of how they're handling light exposure to the in-game camera.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #14
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Sorry man, you lose me any time you reference the sun being in right-center. Any cloud obstruction is happening behind home plate, obviously you know this because we can look at the shadows and see the light source coming from that direction.

The sky's appearance that happens with the different degrees of cloud coverage (which I think is what you're talking about on the darkest screens) is I think just a result of how they're handling light exposure to the in-game camera.
Aren't you saying the reason the clouds are getting overexposed, are due to them obstructing the sun?

So how can those RC field clouds get super bright from "obstruction", when the sun is not positioned there to obstruct?

Or are you saying it is properly positioned behind home plate, and when the clouds are not in that overexposed state, it is due to clouds (we don't see) passing by behind home plate?

That would make sense. I am getting lost on the "obstruction" part.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #15
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBlue
You are overthinking this way too much.

The difference is, as I stated before, when the sun is unobstructed and shining on the field, versus when it is literally behind a cloud and you are seeing the dimmed lighting.

The clouds in your pictures are not the ones in which the sun is behind. As you have already stated, the sun is behind home plate and heading towards the third base side of Fenway during this time. The clouds that the sun are going behind are literally right on that side of the stadium, as well.

As in real life, when this occurs, the camera will adjust to take in more light and gives an appearance of a cool (or blueish) hue. When the sun comes back out from behind the clouds the camera will become "hot" and take in more lighting and things will have a warmer hue to them.

But as you are already sort of deducing if you were to select the weather with clear skies you would not see these transitions, as there would not be virtual clouds for the sun to go behind. When the screen darkens like you're describing, the virtual sun has gone behind a virtual cloud (which do move in the game) and your point of view from inside of the ballpark is casked in a virtual shadow.

See the crude diagram below:

0> [_____i______] >>>

Legend:
0=sun >=cloud [____]=fenway i=plyers
>>>=clouds in the outfield that you are seeing that aren't obstructing the sun
There we go, now that makes sense. Now it is becoming more clear (pun intended), and why it does not happen on clear days.

Thank you.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
There we go, now that makes sense. Now it is becoming more clear (pun intended), and why it does not happen on clear days.

Thank you.

It doesn't happen on clear days because there are no clouds to obstruct the sun and cast shadows.

Quit worrying about the clouds that are lit up in the OF. They are brighter because of 2 things:

One, the cloud that is right in front of the sun (remember the crappy diagram) is not covering the sun up enough to cast shadows beyond the outfield of the stadium, where the other clouds are. So they are being hit with direct sunlight, while where the camera is located (near home plate) is in a shadow from the cloud that is behind that point of view.

And two, from that vantage point the camera is in that aforementioned shadow of the cloud obstructing the sun that is positioned behind home plate/3rd base and therefor it needs to adjust the aperture of the camera, which opens up the lens more to allow more light in so that other objects in the shadows don't appear too dark. Thus overexposing the distant clouds in the outfield and past the stadium and downtown areas. Those clouds appear extra lit up as a result of these two factors.

Just know that everything is working as it should be. And honestly, with the upgraded colors this year, the game looks better than ever. The sun is where you think it is during your games at Fenway and the differences you are seeing is a result of real time animated clouds passing in front of it and casting shadows on certain parts of the field and areas around it. Just remember, not every part of what you are seeing is in a shadow at the same time, you can see where is still brighter and lit up when it shades like that. And look for those light pole shadows and players shadows that are stretched out towards the outfield, they are indicators of when the sun is out and where it is positioned. When they start to disappear the light from the sun is lessened because of clouds, or the sun dropping behind the horizon of the stadium.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »