Home

Classic pitching question.

This is a discussion on Classic pitching question. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
Rookie

JasonIsGod's Arena

OVR: 0
Classic pitching question.

When is the best time to release the button to pitch?

Am I wrong in thinking it's right when I feel the vibration or is that too late?

Can someone also explain when it vibrates sometimes it's more intense than other times?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Classic pitching question.

I think the vibration is max effort? So you'll be tired real quick if you use it every time?

Also, not to hijack, but a branching question for the Classic users:

What effort do you use? I have to use very low effort pitches or my guys are gassed at 65 pitches.

- Rick Wise

Last edited by Bunselpower32; 06-02-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

OVR: 0

I release the X button when the leg comes up. I don’t use a ball marker, nor do I have the pitch selection on the screen. I will take a look at what pitches the pitcher throws, memorize the correspondig button,
and then just feel what is working. Been playing long enough now that I can tell when a pitch is becoming ineffective. Works for me.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:57 PM   #4
Itsy Bitsy Spider

kodiak's Arena

OVR: 18

It’s probably al in my head but I tap the button on all pitches until the following scenarios. 2-0, 3-0, 3-1 and 3-2 counts or if cpu has a runner on 2nd or 3rd. Then I use max effort every time. I do this to “replicate” stressful pitches or on 2-0 and 3-1 strikes to help make sure I have more effort since I’m more likely to put it over more of the plate.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonIsGod
When is the best time to release the button to pitch?

Am I wrong in thinking it's right when I feel the vibration or is that too late?

Can someone also explain when it vibrates sometimes it's more intense than other times?

There is no right or wrong answer.

Until vibration is max effort. Fastballs will get more velocity. Change-ups tend to lose velocity, and pitches of all types will attempt to move more (yes, even fastballs). The pitch will have a better chance to fool the hitter and cause a swing and miss or poor contact.

The disadvantage is that your pitcher is more likely to fail to execute the pitch correctly, causing you to lose command and/or leave it in a dangerous spot.

A tap basically reverses all of the above. Fastball might lose velocity, change-ups might gain velocity, and movement of all pitches may decrease. The hitters have more chance to make contact and may be fooled less often.

The advantage is you'll gain command and be more likely to hit your spot.

Anything in between those two options will have a mix effects. There's some debate about the "in-between", but if it's there, it will blend the two "pure" options.

Depending on your needs and goals as a pitcher, all approaches are viable and probably should be in your comfort zone so you can add-subtract as your stuff (pitch confidence) and count varies and hitters adjust to what you have.

"Best" is whatever works for the situation you are in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #6
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

This is great question Jason! I have been playing this game with classic pitching forever and I don't think I have ever realized the elements of which all of you are explaining. Hmm!!!
Old 06-03-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

When I used to play the game I would to pick certain points in the pitcher’s motion as reference for a button press to get varying degrees of effort behind the pitch established. First I would see where max effort (vibration) in the motion and break it down from there.

Also, I felt it was necessary to throw the warm up pitches with this mechanic so you could get a feel for how much effort was needed to finess their pitch types.

At face value people think it’s just press the button and pitch but there is more to it if you pay attention to the details.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
Pro

agentlaw13's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
When I used to play the game I would to pick certain points in the pitcher’s motion as reference for a button press to get varying degrees of effort behind the pitch established. First I would see where max effort (vibration) in the motion and break it down from there.

Also, I felt it was necessary to throw the warm up pitches with this mechanic so you could get a feel for how much effort was needed to finess their pitch types.

At face value people think it’s just press the button and pitch but there is more to it if you pay attention to the details.

I switched from meter to classic this year and this is what I do to get a feel for each individual pitcher. The majority of time I try to time the release right before the vibration. On legend, I sometimes catch myself tapping the button instead of concentrating on the release...those pitches usually end up as meatballs and deposited over the fence by the batter!

Classic definitely isn’t just tapping the button to throw the ball. Gotta learn where to spot pitches and when to hold down longer or release early. I’ve enjoyed learning and playing this interface again...Legend classic pitching this year is definitely rewarding and challenging. Loving it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »