Home

hitting has become totally impossible against decent players

This is a discussion on hitting has become totally impossible against decent players within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: hitting has become totally impossible against decent players

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave117
I could give a **** less about playing against the computer on any difficulty level. I can play against the computer on legend and still win every game 5-0 because you'll get plenty of fastballs that you can demolish

play against good, money tournament real players and you'll be getting nothing but sinkers, changeups, sliders, curveballs, splitters in the corners of the plate or starting in middle and ending half an inch below the plate. There is no waiting for your pitch. There is hardly any fastballs except maybe 1 in 10 to make sure your time is still completely jacked up. You have to cover the entire zone and be able to read between 5 different pitches every single time or you'll be down 0-2 in the count every single time
that legend mode, is that default sliders, or do you dominate with human contact & power at zero?

A Work in Progress
Old 07-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #10
Rookie

Vanilla_Gorilla's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
Those 'nonsense tricks' are exactly what makes zone hitting the closest to replicating real baseball. Not necessarily keeping it dead middle, but picking a spot in the zone, and waiting on a pitch to be thrown there. This is exactly how the majority of MLB plsyers approach at-bats. They do not attempt to cover the entire zone, because they can't. Most look for a fastball for the first two pitches. There is nothing at all cheesy about this. Zone is hard if you are trying to move your pci to the pitch all the time and you will struggle, just like an MLB player in "react" mode. It sounds like you are trying to take a "two strike approach" on every pitch.

I play Franchise on Legend Zone hitting. They know how to pitch and paint. I look for a pitch exactly where i want it with zero strikes. Or on 3-1. I usually even do this until i have two strikes. Then its protect mode, which, yes should be hard, which is why MLB batting averages drop a lot with 2 strikes. Yours will too. Until then, make the pitcher come to you. YOU dictate how the AB goes, not him. Take the first two strikes, even if in the zone, if they are not good pitches to hit. If he beats you he beats you. Tip your cap.

Welcome to the pro's. Fastball/changeup is the most effective combo in real baseball for the very reasons you stated. It takes time to learn to recognize and get your timing down, but it should always be difficult. If this gets easy its time to change something. Watch some YouTube videos on the fastball/changeup combo and see how MLB hitters are in between a lot. They struggle with it too.

One thing you could try is to bump up the Offspeed Pitch Speed slider a notch from wherever your Fastball Speed sliders is (if its at 5, put the offspeed slider at 6). Some people believe that the difference is slightly exaggerated in the game, so this brings it closer to what the difference should be.

Zone is - and should be - difficult (that is kind of the point of it - they say hitting a baseball in MLB is the hardest thing to do in sports). It takes being mentally tuned in to every pitch. And patience. BUT - with the right approach and patience (these make up The KEY to hitting), it is VERY rewarding and reminds me so much of playing real ball. It is so realistic and Its actually how i still get my fix. Lol.
I'm gonna start trying Zone hitting.

I've been using Flick-analog(stride is just too uncomfortable for me, and often creates some really garbage swing motions that look silly) and my players can literally hit nothing below the middle of the zone. Even if it's good timing they'll whiff badly.

On the other hand, the AI will crank pitches anywhere. I guess the problem with analog is it doesn't allow you to turn on pitches as much as zone does, as zone allows the player to determine the vision and not the player's rating.

So far using flick analog, unless I'm using a 90+ player or someone with outstanding hitting ability, really anything inside or low is a whiff.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Seriously. The guy gives you a great response/post discussing how it is for real on a real field, playing real baseball and you start your first reply to someone trying to help you with “I could give a rats ass”.

Grow up man. You are playing online. You are trying to compete and win games at all costs against like minded people......and you are complaining?

LOL seriously.

And nobody gives a rats *** how great you are online. Pure cheese 1 out of 10 pitches are fast balls. Pure cheese and not baseball.

This is why most of us in this forum.....play offline or each other to have a simulation style game. So we can avoid the likes of players like you.

So the point of this thread was?? Looking for a magic bullet to combat the very same cheesy tactics you deal to other players when you pitch?

Wow man. Hilarious and ironic at the same time.

I'm talking about playing money tournament players - the true best in the world

regular online players are mostly garbage too. I demolish even the super high rated online players too. I think my record last time I played against high rated online players was like 45-14, I scored 4 runs a game and usually had like a 0.80 era

Same cheesy tactics? I can throw just about every pitch right in the corners of the 4 zones with perfect timing and mix locations, speeds, etc.... very well. How is that cheesy?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #12
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:

regular online players are mostly garbage too. I demolish even the super high rated online players too. I think my record last time I played against high rated online players was like 45-14, I scored 4 runs a game and usually had like a 0.80 era

Same cheesy tactics? I can throw just about every pitch right in the corners of the 4 zones with perfect timing and mix locations, speeds, etc.... very well. How is that cheesy?
You are making yourself look really bad right now...
Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:

lol, this will be good
Old 07-10-2018, 12:39 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
lol, this will be good

go on gamersaloon.com and play against people on there

even the worst players there will destroy top 100 ranked online players. I've played people on GS who were 30% winning percentage who were much better than regular online 90% winners
Old 07-10-2018, 01:14 AM   #15
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
go on gamersaloon.com and play against people on there

even the worst players there will destroy top 100 ranked online players. I've played people on GS who were 30% winning percentage who were much better than regular online 90% winners
You do realize you are talking to a group of people in which the vast majority cares absolutely nothing about this right? That is not even remotely interesting or impressive to most people here. You might as well be bragging about Tournament Knitting against the best knitters in the world. Because that is just about as close to how we play as online cheese tourneys. The people you are talking to don't care.

Quote:
You should probably just change your user name to Maverick. Because i didn't realize you were in the Top Gun of the Show community.

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 07-10-2018 at 02:49 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #16
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

So what is the point of this thread? Seriously?

It started off that he can't hit against decent players to touting how awesome he is and destroys even highly ranked online players...

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »