Home

Incredibly Repetitive Commentary

This is a discussion on Incredibly Repetitive Commentary within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
Rookie

ElMago9's Arena

OVR: 0

Every single time Kris Bryant is up to bat...How many times do I need to hear “There were billboards around Wrigley while he was in Triple A...” and so on and so forth.

OR

When a player gets a hit to advance a hitting streak - “He’s smiling, he’s smiling.”

And there’s so much more...

I know it’s not everyone’s biggest issue with the Show (and believe me, it’s not mine) - there are numerous improvements to be made before even touching commentary, but it’s just repetitive and it gets annoying after a while when playing a game.

Anyone else think of any repetitive lines I didn’t say? I know I’m evidently missing a ton, I just wanted to put enough to make my point. And also, if it were up to you, and you actually cared enough about it, who would you want as the commentary team for future games?

Last edited by ElMago9; 07-31-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

But the real question is...are kids wearing his jersey?

I admire the new content like saying where a guy was drafted, his contract situation or if he was acquired via trade. A for effort.

The actual commentary is just bad and repetitive. And LONG. Derosa’s stuff will go on for a few pitches sometimes.

Commentary is rough in the The Show. Vasgersian - one of the most energetic PBP guys on TV - is so stale in this game it’s ridiculous. Plesac and Derosa are victims of bad writing and an overall lack of enthusiasm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ace2734; 07-31-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #3
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Incredibly Repetitive Commentary

I totally turned off commentary and it was weird at first, but I can't go back now! Got real tired of Plesac telling me the % of first pitch strikes

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 07-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

I enjoy the commentary but it gets old and repetitive really fast. Thats why only listen to commentary during MLB network games, which is something like 30 games spread out all year i think? So the repetition isn't nearly as noticeable. Plus it gives those games a "nationally televised" feel. And the rest of the games sound more like you are actually in the stadium.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:18 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

After the first couple dozen times I heard about Ian Happ being from Pittsburgh, I turned it off. But I do that with all sports games after the first month or two. I would just rather listen to music anyways. Besides, when I'm at a ballgame I dont need someone to describe to me what I'm seeing with my own eyes. What am I, an idiot?

Thats a rhetorical. Dont answer that, snowmonkey.

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 07-31-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Haven't used the commentary in years "meat" (even though I give it a try when the game is released). Sometimes it seems like it's non-stop and I would rather hear the ambient sounds in the stadium. All three get on my nerves and Matt has to go ALONG TIME AGO. I'll say it again....TWO man booth and less "chatter".
Old 07-31-2018, 02:35 PM   #7
Rookie

CHIBHAWKSRULE's Arena

or how many times in the same at bat do I need to hear something like this..not only is he have a hitting streak going but he is hitting for power with the high slugging... heard it 3 times in one at bat while playing as the Cubs...
Old 07-31-2018, 02:41 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMago9
... And also, if it were up to you, and you actually cared enough about it, who would you want as the commentary team for future games?
put me in the 2-man booth camp too.
if I could have absolutely anybody, Mel Allen & Red Barber. there should be plenty of recorded games to cobble something together. but that would be extremely expensive so realistically Duane Kuiper & Mike Krukow. If SDS was going with voice actors (this is also unrealistic) Morgan Freeman & James Earl Jones.
I wonder if Vin Scully would lay down some lines for the Show, he could even record straight from his house, at his leisure. I even miss Dave Campbell, reunite him up with Scully. I know he isnt popular with Show gamers, but this is my fantasy world, not theirs lol

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »