Home

Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #17
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Morale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
If I could turn it off, I probably would, which is a shame as franchise is shallow enough as it is, but I just don't think it's implemented well enough at present to be a positive. It had potential, but they never went back and added to it or fixing it, so instead it's just an awkward hoop jumping exercise to avoid players overall going down.

I don't actually even know how it affects players, beyond saying their overall has gone down or up? Does it lower/raise in game ratings? If so how much? It's not particularly clear
I’ve never noticed a difference in players production when they’re angry or unhappy. I really don’t think it effects the in game performance all that much. As for what it does effect, your guess is as good as mine.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 02-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
All the morale screen tells us is whether a player is unhappy. It doesn't say who he's pissed at, nor does it say whether he's angry or depressed or whatever.
How do you know he is?

That is the problem with the morale system.

It doesn't say anything. People might be irrational but if he was asked, he'd probably have an answer.

Right now, we have dead space and guessing/making our own stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Yeah. On top of that people can be irrational and be angry over things other might deem something not worth getting upset over.

Ootp captures this well. I'd like mlb the show to model their morale systen after them. I agree the morale system current is kinda crap.

Then let them express that irrational behavior. Then, they'd show their personality and we wouldn't be here saying "but what if he is mad at X, you don't know".

The point about "other might deem something not worth getting upset over" is the other problem with the morale system. Again, we're abstracting "maybe he's irrational" but are there 'irrational' players in The Show? They all sure seem to behave and think the same.

OOTP does capture this well, and there's no "guessing" why someone doesn't like the team chemistry or if a hot prospect was brought in as direction competition, etc. Players will even demand trades and so on if mad enough.

Outspoken players might take to the media or have it out with a coach or teammate. There's leadership dynamics, etc. Players have differing personalities and it helps drive the storylines, on and off the field.

I agree - The Show should move in this direction with the more intangible/human resources side of the game.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

No doubt a more complex system (which we all know isn't likely to happen) would be better.

The system as it exists is limited at best. It's not really entertaining and adds little to the experience IMO other than as motivation not to lock up high-potential players for 15 years when they'll accept cheap contracts.

Still doesn't mean the limited system as it exists is totally illogical.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #20
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
No doubt a more complex system (which we all know isn't likely to happen) would be better.

The system as it exists is limited at best. It's not really entertaining and adds little to the experience IMO other than as motivation not to lock up high-potential players for 15 years when they'll accept cheap contracts.

Still doesn't mean the limited system as it exists is totally illogical.
It distracts from the experience, because it is illogical.

Omar Vizquel is my shortstop, from Venezuela.... he's upset because he's not "close to home".. which is the absolute height of silliness. Good luck making millions playing pro baseball in your home country!

.. I just wish this only factored into contract negotiations, or hold outs, things along those lines. Its dumb and unrealistic to take these issues onto the field, because you will only decrease your value if you give less than 100%.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Rookie

Yeah I don't get it either. Player is unhappy with the location of the team, signed with the team anyway.

Like...what?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2019, 02:25 PM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL375
Yeah I don't get it either. Player is unhappy with the location of the team, signed with the team anyway.

Like...what?
-No other team interested that would allow you to start or compete for the starting job
-Homesick
-Parent has taken ill, difficulty getting home to see/take care of them
-People don't understand you when you order a hoagie or ask for jimmies on your ice cream so you're constantly hungry
-The media hounds you every where you go, wants answers when you push a photographer following you down the street, wants to know what is wrong with you since you have now lost two games in a row or are hitting .167 in your last 10 games, questioning if you should even be playing in Metropolis
Old 02-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach422001
-No other team interested that would allow you to start or compete for the starting job

-Homesick

-Parent has taken ill, difficulty getting home to see/take care of them

-People don't understand you when you order a hoagie or ask for jimmies on your ice cream so you're constantly hungry

-The media hounds you every where you go, wants answers when you push a photographer following you down the street, wants to know what is wrong with you since you have now lost two games in a row or are hitting .167 in your last 10 games, questioning if you should even be playing in Metropolis

These are cool scenarios and would be entertaining backstories. Wouldn’t it be cool if they actually used the Twitter section for off the wall stories that lined up with these? ...a one liner or a quote from an article that looks like an MLB.com story and a non-working hyper link.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-19-2019, 02:59 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
It distracts from the experience, because it is illogical.

Omar Vizquel is my shortstop, from Venezuela.... he's upset because he's not "close to home".. which is the absolute height of silliness. Good luck making millions playing pro baseball in your home country!

.. I just wish this only factored into contract negotiations, or hold outs, things along those lines. Its dumb and unrealistic to take these issues onto the field, because you will only decrease your value if you give less than 100%.
You're worried about realistic morale while using a 51-year-old short stop who's been retired for close to a decade?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »