Home

Franchise Mode is Piece of a Bigger Picture Says San Diego Studios

This is a discussion on Franchise Mode is Piece of a Bigger Picture Says San Diego Studios within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #17
Contributor

TheKnack's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Franchise Mode is Piece of a Bigger Picture Says San Diego Studios

Sent from my SM-G975U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by jeremym480; 03-11-2019 at 04:23 PM. Reason: removing quoted obnoxious font
Old 03-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 24

One of the things that bothers me about this game is they keep throwing in new "modes" and "ways to play," but rarely build on top of them. March to October could easily have been built on top of the current "moments only" mode in Franchise mode, but instead it is an entirely new mode separate from franchise mode (is it confirmed you can go from MtO to Franchise after year one?). I know it was considered as such and they felt it deserved its own section but as a player all these different "ways to play" is just overwhelming at a point when I just want to play as my team and make trades, develop players, etc.

But MtO looks fun! I will absolutely play it and think it can be a great way to play a season, especially for those of us who have limited time for playing and can't get through more than maybe a couple games a week.

But the difference is Diamond Dynasty gets improvement after improvement year after year, which - fine, no big deal, its popular and a money-maker long after release. But there's huge potential here to implement MtO improvements into Franchise mode in MLB20, and I'm not really expecting them to do so considering how many Franchise mode "features" are installed and then forgotten, like scouting, training, coaching staffs and morale. The way SDS developers talk to the community is also a big turn-off; this interview has some big contradictions in it (people sim in franchise mode, which apparently is an issue, but this mode is simming a lot!) and last year's Phases was a total joke.

They're dead-on when they tell us that players want the game to feel like a narrative. March to October is a great way to scratch that itch. But next year I want to be able to make roster moves and have a rookie's debut a game I can play. And let us tweak injuries - sure, a lot of players hate it when their favorite player gets hurt, but if you just allow manual injury management in the mode, then everyone wins. March to October is wasted if it's dropped in this year and then left alone. The next 2-3 years should feature improvements to the mode AND franchise mode. SDS used to be a trailblazer in the sports video game space and I'm not alone in thinking that they've kind of stalled the last few years. NBA2K and Madden both have robust franchise modes & RTTS-type modes despite also having Ultimate Team-type modes as well. Everyone can win here. The gameplay is excellent so I understand they aren't going to have a ton of huge developments there.

March to October is a really impressive-looking mode and I'm excited to play it, but the key thing is if they continue to support it and implement it into franchise mode because the two are extremely intertwined already. Want to just play one season and see if you can get the Red Sox to the World Series? Go ahead! But if I want to go through multiple years, March to October is just the start. Say I want to rebuild the Marlins - that first season, a March to October isn't really realistic for me because I don't have the stick skills to win enough with a worse roster. BUT if March to October flows into Franchise mode, it's perfect. The first season I try to win as much as I can, with the big moments being rookie debuts, breakout performances, big trades (do I sell off this player, or try to re-sign him?), etc. Then in subsequent years franchise mode has March to October playing-style. With "phases," this seems like a logical development. I would be 100% more attached to my team if I have those big moments like they've show in March to October. Especially if there's a way to have them saved and stored in the mode, similar to NCAA Football's Vault where you could play highlights in the background. That was awesome!

I have no idea what this will all look like in MLB19. I think it's a great idea and think franchise mode needs a lot of help, but it's overall solid regardless, though it is stale. They key is to build upon this first iteration; baseball is all about the process of building upon building until you win. Dropping in a new mode like this is like signing a good free agent closer but ignoring the crumbling bullpen for 3-4 years. Sure, you get a shiny toy that is awesome when it has a chance to be, but pieces around it aren't always getting the job done.

Anyways, tl;dr March to October is cool, franchise mode has a chance to be great if SDS can be the trailblazer they once were when they developed RttS and their great gameplay.

Last edited by tyler289; 03-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #19
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

I just get a lot of contradictory messages from this interview...the dev says that simulating some or all of Franchise Mode takes control away from the user, yet March to October is supposed to "put the control totally in the player’s hands [where] their play is going to decide the outcome of their season." - despite simulating a large chunk of the year? And including just 1 trade you can only slightly make to your liking? And it has no injuries, which can allow the user to make tough decisions about their roster?

I don't know...like someone said, this does seem to be a total damage control thing. But I guess it least it does show that they are listening and do see that people are invested in Franchise Mode. Now I just want to see some of that translate into updates that put it on par with other Franchise-type modes that exist in other sports games. Real-life contracts, contract extensions, and back/front loading of them is a start, but there is still work to do.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 0

Franchise is great and I'm not upset with Nick or any of the developers but...

Livingston believes that franchise mode can be a very cumbersome experience and overwhelming for the casual gamer.

...I would assert DD and RTTS are already shallow modes which appeal to the casual gamer. I don't see how adding another mode designed to appeal to the casual gamer adds to the game.

No offense to anybody - I'll still buy the game - they missed a chance to fix and upgrade franchise.

Last edited by tessl; 03-11-2019 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:16 PM   #21
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

The only thing he said that I really have a problem with, he said (I am paraphrasing) franchise mode can be a daunting experience and we really wanted to add something for the casual gamer. THIS GAME IS FILLED WITH NOTHING BUT MODES THAT CATER TO THE CASUAL GAMER!!!! Literally every game mode outside of franchise mode is casual friendly. I can even say RTTS the mode they claim is the most played can be a casual friendly experience.

I understand the casual gamer is more likely to drive up sales numbers IF (that's a big if) you are able to attract them but you are doing it at the expense of a fanbase that is loyal and has continued to support the product despite your constant lip service and refusals to throw us the most miniscule of improvements. Shoot we're not even asking you to reinvent the wheel, we are just asking for a refinement or better implementation of features that are already in the mode. Had they just tuned a few simple things such as scouting, training, progression/regression I guarantee their would have been a lot less bitching. These are things that are already in the game!!! We just want them refined so they work better.

Like most of you said this just came off as lip service. On the positive side I think SDS felt the need to speak up becaus they finally realized that the franchise crowd has finally had enough of their crap. I think they realize they are at risk of losing a huge chunk of what might be their most loyal and consistent customer base.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
Bring back season mode.
Only mode I play , like the fact you can shorten the season, never bought 18 hoped they would put it back in 19 but dosen't look like it , still playing 17

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #23
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
I really hope they are being honest. Part of the reason I support the game even when they ignore the mode I actually care about is I like the team. But they really need to do better and stop giving excuses for why Franchise isn't getting the attention it deserves.*
Like I said, I still plan on buying but next year they really need to focus on Franchise before creating anymore new modes.*
Old 03-11-2019, 04:28 PM   #24
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

I want to further my point if I may:

Chasing extra sales or trying to attract new customers can be a dangerous game. I manage a team of 11 outside sales guys b2b sales. We have a monthly dollar quota as well as a new customer (company that has never bought before) quota that they have to meat every month. We hired a new guy on about a year ago and he just came up for review. He was consistently beating every other salesman last year in his new customer numbers by almost 50% a month. I mean he was seriously breaking company records for new customers brought on.

Although he was absolutely killing it in this category his total dollar amount sold for the year was far below every other salesman. The next closest guy he was $80,000 under. During his review we discovered that he was able to consistently get new prospects to buy from us because he was neglecting the accounts that were already established customers in his territory. We are in a very competitive industry and during the year he wasn't doing his quarterly check ups or sales calls. These established consistent customers were going with other companies because we were essentially out of site out of mind. So for every dollar this sales person was bringing in he was also losing a dollar due to neglect of already established customers.

This is essentially what SDS is doing in my opinion.

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 03-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »