Home

Patches just keep ruining this game

This is a discussion on Patches just keep ruining this game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-18-2019, 05:32 PM   #41
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Patches just keep ruining this game

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown
Here’s the link of the only online game reproducing life to perfection

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/

Even then , some sliders need to be tweaked, Chris Sale ratings are way off and Chris Davis should have Vision to 5 and Contact to 10.
Dude those graphics rock!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 PM   #42
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I understand exactly what you're saying. I used to say the same thing.. but, I have never, in any version of the Show, had as realistic simulation type numbers as in 18. Close, but not like this. And i have played hundereds of games. I keep score and track every pitch. It works.

This is where this odd misconception comes in... that The Show is pre-made to pump out extremely accurate simulation type stats when the human factor is left out....Im sorry but it just isnt. (I wish that was the case. It sure would make things easier on me every year.) The Show is pre-made for the masses to enjoy a fun and challenging game of baseball, that seems realistic on a game-to-game basis. And it does a great job at it.

Expecting sim results out of a video game, with "zero" user input will also fail. Especially a video game. If it was a text/numbers game like OOTP the story might be different. But this is a video game. In fact, in all my time trying Classic, Directional, Pulse, etc it didnt happen. Not once. And in some cases very unrealistically off. There are always groups of stats that it has trouble reaching, (stats most prople can just live with) and are going to be off, when the game is left to itself. The game, when it comes to details, even playing against itself, is not perfect, or even close.

So, just because you take out the human factor, it doesn't mean it will produce simulation type numbers. Now, if the game Code was absolutely perfect, i would agree with you. But if the game Code was at the level of, say, Bases Loaded 2, (as fun as that game was), the simulation numbers would be awful - even if you somehow took the human factor out... The Show is somewhere between those two.

Now, The Show is much better than BL2, of course, but it is still far from perfect. The game is ONLY as good as the human developers created it. And it falls short every time. It just doesn't have that capability. It can play a "fair" game, and a "fun" game, but not a super realistic one when the numbers are ran with a large sample size. Thats ok though because thats what sliders and human element are for.

So the idea that the CPU plays a more realistic game is inaccurate. Maybe consistent, but not incredibly realistic. But, when i find sliders that make players play to their ratings, despite my controller ability, i can now play a game that produces MUCH more accurate stats. Ive done it for years. And the one i am playing now is so good i haven't touched a slider since last summer.

In other words, if i want accurate sim stats across the board - to make up for the game's encoded shortcomings, two things are absolutely essential - A) human input, and B) sliders that must match that human's skill level. That way, no matter how proficient i get at hitting my spot on the meter (even if i hit it perfectly 100% of the time - which i can't) my pitcher still misses his spots, and walks guys, and throws meatballs at at least what the CPU would do on its own. Add in human strategy and skill (and my lack thereof) and I now get a much more realistic rate than the game code on it's own allows. - (this is also why i do not believe in a universal slider set to get the same results)

Believe me if this wasn't the case, i would not be playing the Show. I am too "baseball OCD" for that. I am a stat guy and i track everything i can imagine, from first pitch strike% to zone% to line drive%, hit type%, spray charts, foul ball rate, chase rate, and over 100 more items. This way is the only way i can get the Show to work as closely to real baseball as possible. The stats reflect it and i have a blast doing it.

If it's destined to fail, i have already gotten hundreds of games in, without touching another slider, and still going...so it was well worth the ride. But, on the contrary, so far, the longer i play the stats seem to stabilize more.

(I haven't played MOM much, so i can't speak for that. But i have a franchise where i watch games play out, and (using a different slider set) get very realistic basic numbers. I don't track it with nearly as much detail though. So not sure how they will work in MOM.)

I'm not knocking the "plug and play" player. That's a great way to play. It's fun baseball. That's how the majority plays the game. I am just too much of a stat-head and baseball junkie for that. I have to have both stats and great gameplay. Im just glad the Show is versatile enough to accommodate both types!

Can u share your settings? I’m just about done already with 19 and need to breath new life into it to keep playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2019, 09:02 PM   #43
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballguy99
Can u share your settings? I’m just about done already with 19 and need to breath new life into it to keep playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For sure. Only thing is these are from 18. And like i said, these are geared toward my "particular set of skills" so there is no guarantee they will work for you. Although they do work great for one other person i know, because he emails me his stats. But yes if you still want them, PM me and I'll give you my settings when I'm back in front of my PS4.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #44
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown
Here’s the link of the only online game reproducing life to perfection

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/

Even then , some sliders need to be tweaked, Chris Sale ratings are way off and Chris Davis should have Vision to 5 and Contact to 10.
When Gurriel stole home against the Red Sox last week, I heard Alex Cora rage quit and launched his controller at the jumbotron.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
When Gurriel stole home against the Red Sox last week, I heard Alex Cora rage quit and launched his controller at the jumbotron.
Reports are that Cora has now changed Gurriel's speed rating and baserunner sliders to be more realistic.

Spoiler
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #46
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Quote:
Reports are that Cora has now changed Gurriel's speed rating and baserunner sliders to be more realistic.

Spoiler
You can't joke all you want, but I felt the game played better out of the box. I was getting quite a bit more hit variety. Now everything feels floaty and hangs in the air too long. This is my opinion. The beauty of a forum is that if you don't like a thread you are free to move along
Old 04-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #47
MVP

Quote:
I understand exactly what you're saying. I used to say the same thing.. but, I have never, in any version of the Show, had as realistic simulation type numbers as in 18. Close, but not like this. And i have played hundereds of games. I keep score and track every pitch. It works.

This is where this odd misconception comes in... that The Show is pre-made to pump out extremely accurate simulation type stats when the human factor is left out....Im sorry but it just isnt. (I wish that was the case. It sure would make things easier on me every year.) The Show is pre-made for the masses to enjoy a fun and challenging game of baseball, that seems realistic on a game-to-game basis. And it does a great job at it.

Expecting sim results out of a video game, with "zero" user input will also fail. Especially a video game. If it was a text/numbers game like OOTP the story might be different. But this is a video game. In fact, in all my time trying Classic, Directional, Pulse, etc it didnt happen. Not once. And in some cases very unrealistically off. There are always groups of stats that it has trouble reaching, (stats most prople can just live with) and are going to be off, when the game is left to itself. The game, when it comes to details, even playing against itself, is not perfect, or even close.

So, just because you take out the human factor, it doesn't mean it will produce simulation type numbers. Now, if the game Code was absolutely perfect, i would agree with you. But if the game Code was at the level of, say, Bases Loaded 2, (as fun as that game was), the simulation numbers would be awful - even if you somehow took the human factor out... The Show is somewhere between those two.
Now, The Show is much better than BL2, of course, but it is still far from perfect. The game is ONLY as good as the human developers created it. And it falls short every time. It just doesn't have that capability. It can play a "fair" game, and a "fun" game, but not a super realistic one when the numbers are ran with a large sample size. Thats ok though because thats what sliders and human element are for.

So the idea that the CPU plays a more realistic game is inaccurate. Maybe consistent, but not incredibly realistic. But, when i find sliders that make players play to their ratings, despite my controller ability, i can now play a game that produces MUCH more accurate stats. Ive done it for years. And the one i am playing now is so good i haven't touched a slider since last summer.

In other words, if i want accurate sim stats across the board - to make up for the game's encoded shortcomings, two things are absolutely essential - A) human input, and B) sliders that must match that human's skill level. That way, no matter how proficient i get at hitting my spot on the meter (even if i hit it perfectly 100% of the time - which i can't) my pitcher still misses his spots, and walks guys, and throws meatballs at at least what the CPU would do on its own. Add in human strategy and skill (and my lack thereof) and I now get a much more realistic rate than the game code on it's own allows. - (this is also why i do not believe in a universal slider set to get the same results)

Believe me if this wasn't the case, i would not be playing the Show. I am too "baseball OCD" for that. I am a stat guy and i track everything i can imagine, from first pitch strike% to zone% to line drive%, hit type%, spray charts, foul ball rate, chase rate, and over 100 more items. This way is the only way i can get the Show to work as closely to real baseball as possible. The stats reflect it and i have a blast doing it.

If it's destined to fail, i have already gotten hundreds of games in, without touching another slider, and still going...so it was well worth the ride. But, on the contrary, so far, the longer i play the stats seem to stabilize more.

(I haven't played MOM much, so i can't speak for that. But i have a franchise where i watch games play out, and (using a different slider set) get very realistic basic numbers. I don't track it with nearly as much detail though. So not sure how they will work in MOM.)

I'm not knocking the "plug and play" player. That's a great way to play. It's fun baseball. That's how the majority plays the game. I am just too much of a stat-head and baseball junkie for that. I have to have both stats and great gameplay. Im just glad the Show is versatile enough to accommodate both types!
Adjust sliders all you want to match your joystick skills but the thread is about patches and patching a game to match for people who joystick the game is a fool's errand because human input is a variable.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
Adjust sliders all you want to match your joystick skills but the thread is about patches and patching a game to match for people who joystick the game is a fool's errand because human input is a variable.
Most patches have zero to do with joystickers. The latest patch that bred this thread didnt either. And adjusting sliders can combat some of those that do, not all but some.
Peaches are whats ruining this game, or lack thereof. Needs moar crowbar peaches

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »