Home

How do I get better at stealing bases?

This is a discussion on How do I get better at stealing bases? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: How do I get better at stealing bases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTideRoll0929
So what does the L1 do? I see a few people posted to hit L1 after L2.......L1 as far as I know makes your runner lead off, but if you already hit L2 to cue to steal, what is the purpose of hitting L1?
It can help you get a better jump. You should try to time it for when the pitcher starts going into his delivery.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:33 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunopuntzjones
It can help you get a better jump. You should try to time it for when the pitcher starts going into his delivery.
So I should hit L2+ left analog stick towards my runner and then let go, then tap L1 as soon as the pitcher starts his delivery as opposed to holding L2+left analog stick towards runner and releasing as soon as the pitcher starts his delivery ?? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna get this figured out
Old 08-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
So I should hit L2+ left analog stick towards my runner and then let go, then tap L1 as soon as the pitcher starts his delivery as opposed to holding L2+left analog stick towards runner and releasing as soon as the pitcher starts his delivery ?? Sorry for all the questions, I just wanna get this figured out
Press L2 + the analog stick to highlight the runner you want to steal (just press L2 if only one runner on or you want everyone to steal) and let go.

Then when the pitcher starts home or you think he's about to throw home, press L1 and let go. This will get that extra jump/head start.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

Another thing to consider as well is having awareness of the count and the pitcher's previous pitches. I have Harrison Bader on my team and he can steal on anybody in any count. But, most players can't obviously.

I try to only steal when I think the pitcher will throw an off-speed pitch. 0-1 count after a fastball, 0-2/1-1 count after 2 fastballs for example, are great times to steal.

Much easier to steal on an 82 MPH changeup down in the zone compared to a mid-90's fastball up in the zone.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Rookie

RockPowderDownLoL's Arena

fake a bunt

swing if its a fastball

if you can afford it then swing at a bad pitch and try not to hit it.

the L1 works well too
Old 09-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5

These tips have certainly helped me. I don't know why, but I always thought you had to hold down the steal button and release it when the pitcher began his movement to steal. That thought lasted for the longest time lol

But one thing that didn't help me today: I was thrown out easily with one of my best base stealers in a move that completely caught me by surprise. Ahead in the count 2-0, I know the pitcher has a rather slow delivery, and I don't expect a slide-step or pitchout to make the count 3-0, so I cue up the steal.
What do you know? A 2-0 pitchout. Just...ugh. I could only stare at the screen in disbelief and think: Well, I just got played
Old 09-08-2019, 01:38 AM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
I just cant get the hang of it.......either the CPU tries to pick me off every other pitch of an at bat, and if they dont go for the pick off they pitch out. If I hit the L1 once to extend my lead off, I get picked off a good bit. My lead off hitter on my team in franchise mode has a 93 speed rating with an 88 stealing rating, I'm 8 games into my franchise and he has 1 steal and 7 times hes either been picked off or thrown out. Sometimes I feel like I get a great jump but my runner doesnt always take off the second I let go of the L2 button, almost like a quarter second delay and my speedy layoff hitter gets gunned down. I dont really see any sliders that can help me other than CPU pickoff, I can tune that down but I'll still get gunned down by the catcher or fall victim to the pitchout.
Hey rolltide, if your still frustrated by stealing you should try changing both of the Base steal sliders.

I use Armour & Swords slider set(both of the stealing sliders are at 6).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2019, 08:28 PM   #16
Pro

Hellquist's Arena

Press L2 and hold L1 right before the pitcher throws the ball. Don't take a lead to steal 2nd base.

I always do this at 2-0 or 2-1 counts. If you do it 0-0 or at 0-1, you will be picked off.

When they pitch out on the first pitch, I do it the pitch after.

I also steal 3rd base. I do take one lead, so you take the lead and then do the same thing you did for stealing 2nd base.

I steal bases with Bellinger, Griffey Jr and Taylor. Their steal rating sucks, but they're fast enough to steal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »