Home

Ways to Keep MLB The Show Fresh Throughout the Rest of the Season

This is a discussion on Ways to Keep MLB The Show Fresh Throughout the Rest of the Season within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Ways to Keep MLB The Show Fresh Throughout the Rest of the Season

The MLB postseason is full steam ahead. That means MLB The Show 19 has been on...

Written By: Jeff Botkin

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ways to Keep MLB The Show Fresh Throughout the Rest of the Season

Good article.

And I will add:

Classic and fictional Rosters!!!!! The roster community year in and year out, really out does itself in bringing true baseball junkies an assortment of amazing rosters from years past. MLB 19 is no slouch in that department. Some seriously amazing work done by the OS roster community.

I am about to start playing classic seasons starting with the 1989 season (and using the Texas Rangers for this journey). There are so many to choose from.

Also there are a couple of fantastic fictional rosters available.

Go to the roster forum and check out what is in the vault for you to get incredible replay value out The Show 19.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-10-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Pro

legacyme3's Arena

OVR: 5
I feel a sense of "meh" whenever I go back to the Show now. And I don't know what it is.

Objectively, the game as improved with every installment to some measure. It's a better game than it was when I started playing over a decade ago. But with every passing year, despite my love for baseball, I play less and less. I've tried all kinds of things to keep the experience fresh, but I always get hit with the same sense of "meh" whenever I try anything different, and I'm not sure how to break this rut.

I don't know if it's that I find hitting too hard to get accustomed to, or if I find the gameplay unsatisfying, or if I think it moves too slowly now. I'm genuinely unsure what the issue is, or if there's any issue at all.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Banned

Drty_Windshield's Arena

I'm almost positive that I'm in the minority here, but as someone that plays on both HOF and legend with max pitch speeds, I think that the max speeds for each of the difficulty levels should be the default speeds for the particular levels. A lot of people are going to think that max speeds make the game harder, and technically they would be right about that, but the default speeds especially on the lower difficulty levels aren't even close to being realistic.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyme3
I feel a sense of "meh" whenever I go back to the Show now. And I don't know what it is.

Objectively, the game as improved with every installment to some measure. It's a better game than it was when I started playing over a decade ago. But with every passing year, despite my love for baseball, I play less and less. I've tried all kinds of things to keep the experience fresh, but I always get hit with the same sense of "meh" whenever I try anything different, and I'm not sure how to break this rut.

I don't know if it's that I find hitting too hard to get accustomed to, or if I find the gameplay unsatisfying, or if I think it moves too slowly now. I'm genuinely unsure what the issue is, or if there's any issue at all.

Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.
If you play it yearly, that's part of your problem. I feel the same way about the game even after taking a year or two off. While I believe the overall game improves, the gameplay itself is stagnant.

Other sports titles feel different immediately every year because we have control over our players. They run, dribble, skate, interact with each other, differently (for better or worse) each year. We just don't have that luxury in The Show:

- Pitching is moving a icon and pressing a button or moving a stick.
- Hitting is moving an icon and pressing a button or moving a stick.
- Base running is just button presses or moving a stick to chose your base

The ONLY time we really can [briefly] move around with our players is when fielding and players STILL don't even collide. Collisions were in MLB 2k7 over a decade ago. Madden gets destroyed for not having elements that old 2k games had. The Show users mostly seem to not care.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2019, 06:15 AM   #6
Rookie

The reason why baseball games, the show in particular are feeling stale is due to the fact that there is really no gameplay options outside of fielding the ball once hit... Its the same thing every play: Ball hit, move player to spot, cpu takes it from there. Once upon a time, baseball video games had no training wheels or rails to limit the experience. You controlled everything from the moment the game began. There were some games that you were responsible for getting the ball back to the pitcher to began the next play. It gave you an opportunity to take in the joy of the game. After the play was over, being able to throw the ball around to your team mates gave you a sense of chemistry and also gave you a chance to gain the timing of throws. Throw the ball away and cause runners to advance was an extra layer of strategy to compete with. Now its linear gameplay has sucked the life out of a sports game that once owned the genre. Its just a repetitive motion of pitch, catch, and cpu do the rest. Very stale. besides, they advertise 1000s of new animations that you never get a chance to really see because the cpu takes control of everything once the play is established.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 3

Can anyone tell me how to replicate the camera angle in the picture below?

https://www.operationsports.com/wp-c...howTM-19_3.jpg.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

For me, the combination of my love for the game of baseball and how well SDS simulates the sport, keeps the game fresh for me. Add to that the ability to continue my franchise from one year to the next keeps it from ever feeling "stale" as I'm engrossed in the virtual world that is my franchise.

If the ability to carryover didn't exist, or if I didn't do it, I think there would be times where the game started feeling "meh" because of having to constantly start over. Thankfully, that isn't a concern I need to have with MLB The Show.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »