Home

MLB The Show 20 Livestream - March to October (Archive Included)

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 20 Livestream - March to October (Archive Included) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-06-2020, 07:59 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 20 Livestream - March to October (Archive Included)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGaming44
Where in tbe stream did they say they cut the 2 themes from previous years ? From how I understood it there was a new one added onto the already existing themes so wouldnt that make it 4 in total now ? Unless i completely missed the part where they said they cut the themes but if so please tell me at what point in time of the stream did they say this ? Because that would be a big disappointment
Around 40 minutes into the stream.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #90
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture Rot
I can speak from experience as someone who regularly plays with a group of teens, younger players love watching back sick highlights, slowing them down, etc. As did I, when I was a younger player. Not all of them are in a rush, any more than all older players are in a rush.

The decision making here is just clueless. Its not a generational preference thing, I hope we can kill that narrative. It's like when they talk about how younger players dont care about franchise mode, then they are on YouTube losing their mind when they play old sports games at the amount of depth. They "dont care" about it because they've never played a game where it was made a priority.
I an speak from experience as I coach high school baseball.

95% of the the players I have been coaching.....play DD not franchise mode. Most young teens who play sports games are not interested in franchise mode. And I was also making a general statement as today attention spans are no doubt far shorter than when I was growing up.

And you know.....a big reason for that is the sheer amount of choices people have today in terms of what to do.

When I was growing up.....3 channels on TV. One MLB game of the week. It was simply a totally different time.

MNF is when we got game highlights from Sunday.

Just totally different.

Anyway. My son....raising him as old school as I can. And he is into a lot of things most kids his age aren’t. But he is also in the You-Tube/tick tock generation. Devices have taken over for TV’s and even console video gaming. Kids are addicted to their phones.

Anyway getting off topic here and I do not want to derail the thread. But whomever your hanging with teen wise.....it is a minority. Trust me.

The narrative is real.
Madden 21 (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #91
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

Many are looking for instant gratification today. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #92
All Star

OVR: 8

I have no doubt that part of it is a generational gap, but I also have to wonder how much of it is a complete abandonment of things like Franchise modes. A senior in high school has likely never played Madden 05 with its deepest franchise mode of the series. That same senior hasn't seen a meaningful update to MLB the Show since they were in middle school.

Whatever the generational gap may be, if I as a life long baseball fan who bought at least 1 baseball game every year since the late 90's (until 2017) have stopped buying the game due to lack of franchise attention, then how can I expect the "instant gratification" generation to care about the things you can enjoy in a franchise mode.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #93
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
I have no doubt that part of it is a generational gap, but I also have to wonder how much of it is a complete abandonment of things like Franchise modes. A senior in high school has likely never played Madden 05 with its deepest franchise mode of the series. That same senior hasn't seen a meaningful update to MLB the Show since they were in middle school.

Whatever the generational gap may be, if I as a life long baseball fan who bought at least 1 baseball game every year since the late 90's (until 2017) have stopped buying the game due to lack of franchise attention, then how can I expect the "instant gratification" generation to care about the things you can enjoy in a franchise mode.
I don’t expect it personally.

I have come to grips with it. I did a few iterations ago. Card modes and more streamlined “career” modes and also be a player modes are the preference based on the telemetrics the game companies see.

I use what the game has and have a blast. I just have lowered my expectations for “franchise” modes in sports games today. It is reality. The whole “don’t keep supporting” argument is nonsense. The game developers are going to focus on what sells the game and also generates the most revenue. It is easy to see that.

Before online play all you had was offline franchise. Online play changed everything for the solo offline sports gamer. Once online became a thing....it started this long trend of focusing on online play and then eventually ultimate team modes.

And that is ok. I get it.

But it dissapointed me one of broadcast themes was removed. I took great joy in MLB 19 having three distinct themes for me to use SOTS to the fullest. It really is a major thing for me personally as that is how I get the most out of franchise mode. TO me presentation is as big a part of franchise mode as....deeper stats, better scouting etc.

Because I spend 95% of my time actually playing the actual game vs hanging out in menus.

So it was a huge letdown seeing they removed a really important presentation feature.

However....I am looking forward to the game big time. I can’t wait to see all the new drop downs and stat wipes this time out. I will figure out a good way to implement SOTS (JoshC1977 had a great suggestion for me).
Madden 21 (PS5)
Dragons Dogma 2 (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 03-06-2020, 10:25 PM   #94
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls

The good news is high school kids grow up and their tastes and preference evolve as they age. There will always be a demand for franchise mode.
Old 03-07-2020, 12:43 AM   #95
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
It is reality. The whole “don’t keep supporting” argument is nonsense. The game developers are going to focus on what sells the game and also generates the most revenue. It is easy to see that.
Well, you're half right. You said revenue drives development paths which is true. Ironically though franchise players a part of that yearly revenue. If enough of those franchise players decided that they finally couldn't support lack of development attention then it would force the studio to re-think their strategy.

That being said. I'm not suggesting to, nor do I have the expectation that the entire franchise player base will suddenly quit buying the game. It is kind of silly though to suggest that a general boycott won't work 2 seconds before admitting that revenue drives decisions. Also, maybe I read too much into it, but you also kind of indirectly implied that people should support a product that does not satisfy them, or at least not bother criticizing it.

I realize the above is perhaps arguing semantics, but imo the fatalistic attitude, that many of us have been driven to think that we have to accept, probably doesn't help in getting the changes that we want.

Last edited by KSUowls; 03-07-2020 at 12:46 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2020, 12:57 AM   #96
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I an speak from experience as I coach high school baseball.

95% of the the players I have been coaching.....play DD not franchise mode. Most young teens who play sports games are not interested in franchise mode. And I was also making a general statement as today attention spans are no doubt far shorter than when I was growing up.

And you know.....a big reason for that is the sheer amount of choices people have today in terms of what to do.

When I was growing up.....3 channels on TV. One MLB game of the week. It was simply a totally different time.

MNF is when we got game highlights from Sunday.

Just totally different.

Anyway. My son....raising him as old school as I can. And he is into a lot of things most kids his age aren’t. But he is also in the You-Tube/tick tock generation. Devices have taken over for TV’s and even console video gaming. Kids are addicted to their phones.

Anyway getting off topic here and I do not want to derail the thread. But whomever your hanging with teen wise.....it is a minority. Trust me.

The narrative is real.

As a high school teacher/coach myself I can agree with this sentiment.

First off, most ballplayers these days barely know MLB players or know some of the basics of the MLB game. It was quite shocking when I started 2 years ago.

So many people are about individual players now than teams, and I see that with every sport. Some of it may have been driven by the Sport Card games.

All I know is any under 18 show player I have talked to (And they are rare in this generation) is playing DD. That's all they do, in fact when me and my few students who have played the Show talked about it the 1st time, they were shocked I didnt play DD much. All they wanted to know was what diamonds I pulled.

Its crazy, it is because most people around my age were always franchise guys, but weirdly enough I am noticing people my age even turn to DD/MUT more and more as they have less time to commit to a franchise.

We are shrinking gentleman. The franchise boat is sinking, it's been sinking. It's time to admit we have an unplugged hole that we can not fill. We can go down with the ship with honor. Haha

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »