Home

Official MLB 20 the Show Trade Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on Official MLB 20 the Show Trade Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Will Feature All 134 FBS Schools - Herbstreit, Fowler, Pollack & More in the Game
We Wish MLB Network Presentation Would Return in MLB The Show 24
Sports Game Pet Peeve: Let Us Back Out Before a Game Starts

Old 03-13-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7
Official MLB 20 the Show Trade Discussion Thread

Everyone still kicking from that CoronaVirus? It may have taken down real life baseball, but not our beloved The Show!

With that out of the way...HELLO, everyone! Bard is 100% back here and ready for another year of fun trade discussions! I have done this the last few years, and it has been a blast to discuss trades with you all.

Now, we have had some discussions on our trade tool being a little iffy on some occasions, and spot on with others. So, if you would like to use it, please do! I will still be using it to help everyone out in here

However, there is this awesome site now that you can do trades within it, and if you want to use that I'll even adjust my old ways and help you with that as well!

So, below will be our example and also the site for those trades! If anyone finds the updated prospect values just link in the thread and I'll update the example.

-------------------------------

Player Calculation Example:

You're going to have to find the WAR for the player. We use Baseball Reference as they tend to have the most realistic WAR assessments. We will use Robinson Chirinos of the Texas Rangers for this example.

Link: https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...hiriro01.shtml

DISTINGUISHING AVERAGE WAR

For Position Players, we're going to scroll down to Player Value Batting. You can see that below but keep reading. We need to identify the player's WAR for the past three years. We use a 6 x 3 x 1 method of determining a fair value for the player. Thus we're going to take the 2017 WAR and multiply it by 6. Then we will find the 2016 WAR and multiply it by 3. The 2015 WAR is simply the remaining 10% so there is no need to multiply it. See below.

Okay now we have our WARS. We're going to discern our average WAR for Chirinos now.

2017 WAR: 2.7 x 6 = 16.2
2016 WAR: 0.9 x 3 = 2.7
2015 WAR: 1.8 x 1 = 1.8

Add: 16.2+2.7+1.8= 20.7
Now keep in mind, we were using percentages of each season to create our basis so now we need to divide by 10 (6+3+1). That brings Chirinos to a 2.1 WAR (rounding up from 2.07).

PINPOINTING TOTAL VALUE

Now we're going to create our total value from that WAR number. We've decided among ourselves, using Professional opinions, that the average worth for 1 WAR is 9 Million. So we're going to multiply Chirinos' WAR by 9 and then by the amount of years remaining on his contract. To do that, we're going to scroll down near the bottom where it says Salaries. See below.

Okay, now we know how many years Chirinos has remaining in his contract and how much he will be paid for those years. Lets do our math.

2.1(Player WAR) x 9 (WAR Worth) x 2 (Contracted Years Remaining) = 37.8M Total Value

There we see that Chirinos is worth a total value of 37.8M. But now we have to identify what his surplus value is.

FINALIZING SURPLUS VALUE

Surplus is identified using this method:

Total Value - Remaining Salary = Surplus Value

Using the image above, we can see that Chirinos has approximately $4.63M owed to him in his current contract. We can do our final piece of math now.

37.8 (Total Value) - 4.63 (Remaining Salary) = 33.17M Surplus

We will go ahead and round that fourth digit up or down. As it is a 7, we'll round up to a final 33.2M Surplus.

Prospect value:

Top 100 Hitter:
1-10: $95 surplus
11-25: $75 surplus
26-50: $51 surplus
51-75: $33 surplus
76-100: $18 surplus

Top 100 Pitcher:
1-10: $87 surplus
11-25: $55 surplus
26-50: $44 surplus
51-75: $27 surplus
76-100: $13 surplus

[b]Trade Machine[\b]
https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/
--------------------------------------------------

New Year, new thread!

Do you need help figuring out what to do with your team? Whether it be rebuilding or contending and want to know the values on certain players please come on in here and ask!

If you have a rough draft deal made out and want suggestions to make it realistic or fair we will gladly help with that as well!

Literally all trading needs of any kind are gladly discussed in here, and feedback is always given.

I will do my best to answer as many questions I can this year as this is one of my favorite threads.

Now. Let the trading season of MLB 20 the Show commence!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bard; 03-13-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Official MLB 20 the Show Trade Discussion Thread

I always enjoy reading this thread.

My plan as the Texas Rangers is to trade for Nolan Arenado. What is a realistic trade for him? Thank you!
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 03-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
All Star

Bard's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I always enjoy reading this thread.

My plan as the Texas Rangers is to trade for Nolan Arenado. What is a realistic trade for him? Thank you!
Sweet, first up this year!

Nolan Arenado is roughly worth $172.7 in surplus.

This one is a tough trade assuming you want to keep Gallo, if you want to deal Gallo it is easier. I had to use a mix of my method and the trade machine because WAR wise, this isn't happening, however this deal does make sense for both sides to do.

Rockies land two top 100 prospects in positions of need, and also land MLB ready OF/INF and SP who are young and affordable.

Rangers Receive:
Nolan Arenado

Rockies Receive:
Josh Jung (24.1) *outdated, my better guess would be 45
Sam Huff (24.1) *outdated, my better guess would be 45
Willie Calhoun (17)
Kolby Allard (21.5) *should be higher, possibly 38-40.

With my personal adjustments made, the value is closer to 147 compared to 86.7. Still not quite to the value of Nolan, but then add in his contract is super massive, I think the Rockies would be happy with this deal.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #4
All Star

Bard's Arena

Great thing about just starting this an hour ago.

I'm going to rework the prospect values a little bit. Just reading through that Pittsburgh page again from 2018, they still use $8 million per WAR, and honestly we should be at $10-10.5. so I'm going to do some quick math and adjust that in the base post up top!

Old 03-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 11

Gallo to Oakland? Be willing to give up Chapman if necessary. i know it wouldnt happen being in division but im moving Oakland to Vegas and want him to play for hometown team
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
All Star

Bard's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenp86
Gallo to Oakland? Be willing to give up Chapman if necessary. i know it wouldnt happen being in division but im moving Oakland to Vegas and want him to play for hometown team
Rangers Receive:
Sean Murphy ($51)
AJ Puk ($27)
Lotto ticket

Las Vegas Athletics Receive:
Joey Gallo (~$72.4)

Rangers are gaining two prospects in the top 100, and both are pretty MLB ready. The Rangers are also gaining an extra lotto ticket to seal the in-division trade as they were already getting more value for Gallo with the two prospects, but they needed a cherry on top from Oakland.

With the Rangers trading Gallo, I would assume they would be going into a rebuild, hence the no true MLB talent going back to Texas.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
Rookie

duh1call3dston3s's Arena

OVR: 0

Would love to trade off Stanton, as I have Frazier that I want to play in LF. IRL, I wasn’t a fan of the Stanton trade. I won’t lie, his first game as a Yankee against Toronto had me excited as he smacked two homers. But, he’s played even worse than I thought he would (when he plays). Him and his contract are a waste.

I realize his contract is huge, but what is a “close to the most realistic trade” I could make? Severino and German are both out of my rotation for obvious reasons, so I was thinking to go after an SP for one. What do you think? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #8
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard
Sweet, first up this year!

Nolan Arenado is roughly worth $172.7 in surplus.

This one is a tough trade assuming you want to keep Gallo, if you want to deal Gallo it is easier. I had to use a mix of my method and the trade machine because WAR wise, this isn't happening, however this deal does make sense for both sides to do.

Rockies land two top 100 prospects in positions of need, and also land MLB ready OF/INF and SP who are young and affordable.

Rangers Receive:
Nolan Arenado

Rockies Receive:
Josh Jung (24.1) *outdated, my better guess would be 45
Sam Huff (24.1) *outdated, my better guess would be 45
Willie Calhoun (17)
Kolby Allard (21.5) *should be higher, possibly 38-40.

With my personal adjustments made, the value is closer to 147 compared to 86.7. Still not quite to the value of Nolan, but then add in his contract is super massive, I think the Rockies would be happy with this deal.

Awesome! Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »