Home

Is the franchise sim broken?

This is a discussion on Is the franchise sim broken? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 4
Is the franchise sim broken?

Is the franchise sim broken or am I just doing something wrong?

I am in year 4 and 5 of a sim rebuild and my whole starting line up is in the 90s and high 80s with my bench players all being mid 80s. 4 of my starting pitchers are in the 90s and the 5th starter in the mid 80s. My bullpen players are all mid 80s to high 70s. The closer is a 97 yet the past two seasons I have simmed I am just above .500. I look at m #1 and #2 starters who are 96 and 93 and they have ERA's in the 4s and a .500 record. How does this even happen? It has happned two seasons in a row.

Do I need to do something for my players to play up to their abilites in sim?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #2
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is the franchise sim broken?

How does your team compare to the rest of the league? Is the issue possibly more related to progression/regression rather than the game sim engine? In other words, even though you have a team full of 80's and 90's rated players, what if every other team in the league has a similarly stacked roster?

Back in MLB 10-12, I remember poorly balanced progression. After a few years advancing in Franchise, either the league would be bloated with 80's and 90's rated pitchers, and not nearly as many highly rated position players (team ERA's in the 2's and team batting averages closer to the Mendoza line). Or the other way around, too many highly rated position players and not many highly rated pitchers (team ERA's would be in the 6.00 range, and team batting averages over .300).
Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
How does your team compare to the rest of the league? Is the issue possibly more related to progression/regression rather than the game sim engine? In other words, even though you have a team full of 80's and 90's rated players, what if every other team in the league has a similarly stacked roster?

Back in MLB 10-12, I remember poorly balanced progression. After a few years advancing in Franchise, either the league would be bloated with 80's and 90's rated pitchers, and not nearly as many highly rated position players (team ERA's in the 2's and team batting averages closer to the Mendoza line). Or the other way around, too many highly rated position players and not many highly rated pitchers (team ERA's would be in the 6.00 range, and team batting averages over .300).
Good idea, I will look into that next time I go on ps4. I still find it weird my top two pitchers are in the 90s and their era is in the mid 4s. Ok I just checked, yeah the main stats like K/9 and BB/9 were in the mid 80s and their fielding ability were high 90s so that is what was inflating their overall rating. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by birthday_massacre; 03-31-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #4
Rookie

StarzNBarz's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't think it's broken... you just kinda gotta know your way around it. For instance I'm a rangers fan and the sim engine isn't too kind to us. 2 players in particular: Joey gallo and jose leclerc. I find that progression for a hitter is mostly tied to batting average while progression for a pitcher is mostly tied to ERA.

So if you look at gallo's overall it's an 87 or 90 I think. But you won't really get "90 rated player statistics" when you sim a season with gallo. The problem is his contact rating is really low (low batting average) and his vision is also extremely low (tons of strikeouts which leads to an even lower batting average.) If you sim a season more than likely you're gonna end up with gallo's rating going down because his average is probably gonna be below .220 and he's only hitting about 25-35 homers every year. A healthy gallo should be hitting 40+ but I digress. His obp is still decent on sim since his discipline is very high, and he can still accumulate 4-5 WAR but it doesn't seem to matter too much to the progression/regression engine. For instance I'm in year 6 or 7 in my mostly simmed franchise and gallo's power vs lefties is a 68. It's taken a complete nosedive.

As for pitchers, I've learned that bb/9 is probably the most important stat if you're planning on mostly simming your franchise. K/9 isn't completely useless, but it's really not that important. That's where leclerc comes in. His bb/9 rating is like an 18 or something while his k/9 is at a 99. His era on sim consistently comes out in the high 4s or even in the 5s. The important thing I think is WHIP. If you have pitchers with a high bb/9 and hits/9 stat their whip is gonna be low which in turn keeps their era low.

Those are just my findings over the years hopefully it helps.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

What roster are you using?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »