Home

Keeping things fresh

This is a discussion on Keeping things fresh within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Keeping things fresh

How do you guys keep your franchises going? I find myself starting off and then I get in a few games and just get tired. Should I switch to quick counts to keep the games moving, if I want to grind out full seasons? Do you play every other game?

Don't take it out on me but I admit, I'm an Astros fan. Yes, I hate what they did too. And, it's sort of the reason this year as to why I don't want to play with them. But, I love the park and all.

I've done things to keep it interesting like release all their players and such and just pick up random guys. I've tried doing drafts but it's just eh. Like, I feel no connection.

In the past, I loved playing as the Stros when they were awful because I could build them up.

Any ideas on what I should do? Or what are some things you guys do to keep it fun?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
MVP

Archie56's Arena

Re: Keeping things fresh

Try using Bacon's Fictional Roster and do a fantasy draft. That way you can keep using the Astros but without their cheaters! That always keeps things fresh for me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Have you looked in the roster section at some of the rosters put together of players from the past seasons? That could be something to do to change it up a bit.

I was going to suggest doing a draft, but you've tried that.

You could also try and choosing a National League team to play thru a season/franchise as a different team. Or you could do 30 team control where you control the roster moves, and play select games on a given day (I have a friend who plays this way)

Myself, because I'm using a carryover save, my franchise is my own separate world where the Orioles are good, the Yankees stink, and I'm trying to win a World Series (10 seasons played and no WS yet )

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-03-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

I'd really like to 'second' the suggestion of using Bacon's roster (I'd recommend doing it WITHOUT a draft though). You can even use your Astros and have a very interesting experience. It's a solid roster with decent pitching, a couple of decent prospects, and some very good power. They lack depth though, and that is their Achilles' Heal. They're also in a solid division as Seattle is the clear top-dog and the Rangers/A's on-par with Houston.

You can dive in, leave all your preconceptions behind, and just play baseball.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

I used Bacon's roster for a bit-enjoyed it very much, but missed the real life guys.

I did an "expansion draft" a month ago, and had a lot of fun. Re-branded the Marlins as the Montreal Expos.

Started out by essentially doing a dispersal draft, and giving away the top 29 players on the roster based on this years 1st round draft order (Tried to use some logic based on teams needs going through it). I kept the farm system, but if I did it again, I'd probably move the top 10 or 15 prospects in a "Second round".

Then, I used MLBTR's expansion draft list that they came up with, and replaced the 29 players with expansion draft picks. If I moved the prospects, I would probably just replace them with another 10-15 expansion picks.

It was a lot of fun, but I ended up accidentally saving over the file with another franchise .
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I'm not using Bacon's roster, but I'm now at the end of 2021 of my 2014 carry over and I have to say the fiction of the universe I've created keeps me going.

Fictional players force you to scout them in game, getting you more invested in "your" team as opposed to viewing it as a team you were just handed. There is no doubt now that the team I'm playing with are my Blue Jays.

Maybe that won't appeal to you, but I know for me, the more I invest into my franchise the more I get out of it. With year to year saves, that investment/reward relationship can continue for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Take the Astros and simulate 7-8 years with them doing only the GM stuff like scouting, signing, etc then play with the team you built.

I did this with the Indians last year and started playing games in 2026. The league was different from what it was but not completely. The team I built had entirely my own stamp on it.

It was the first year I ever played a full 162 and playoffs.

I am not a fan of the full real life rosters. Especially this year's sets with too many high potential guys screwing things up down the road. It's all of them too. Any franchise I start, I use my 2019 roster set that has potentials set up better for a long term league.

But I also couldn't fully get into the full fictional universe as I felt no attachment to it.

It takes a week or two of simming to get to 2026 or 2027, but you will get a half real half fictional universe with a lot of the former top prospects being the new stars of the game.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 08-03-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I'm not using Bacon's roster, but I'm now at the end of 2021 of my 2014 carry over and I have to say the fiction of the universe I've created keeps me going.

Fictional players force you to scout them in game, getting you more invested in "your" team as opposed to viewing it as a team you were just handed. There is no doubt now that the team I'm playing with are my Blue Jays.

Maybe that won't appeal to you, but I know for me, the more I invest into my franchise the more I get out of it. With year to year saves, that investment/reward relationship can continue for the rest of the foreseeable future.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
This is incredibly true. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Speaking for myself, the hardest part for me (and I have a hunch this is the OP's issue) is getting over that initial 'hump'. It's getting to that first point where you're invested into the franchise.

Even using Bacon's roster, I didn't quite settle-in right away. The one thing I did from the outset was commit to myself to get through April (playing every pitch); no starting-over, no waffling on "alternate franchises", just going in full-bore. I knew if I could do that, I'd be sucked-in; because the game is just that good. Sure enough - that's exactly what happened. I had key injuries, guys in slumps, big surprises and I complemented that with a story-arc changing trade. I was totally hooked by that point...and am already into Year 2.

The key is to let the game dictate the story for you. Now, I personally feel that real rosters make it more difficult to do so, there are SO many preconceptions of who's good, what "would/would not" happen, and "how things should play". But, to truly embrace a fictional universe, you HAVE to be able/willing to dive in without that initial "connection" and give it time to grow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »