Home

When did rocket bunts start?

This is a discussion on When did rocket bunts start? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2020, 05:29 AM   #9
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: When did rocket bunts start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Exactly.

What's sad is they programmed the CPU to acknowledge this and essentially make a house rule where they don't throw to 2B most of the time even if they can get them out. Sadly, they still sacrifice with their guys and I don't play with that house rule, so I get a lot of fielder's choice plays on those.

Fix this **** offline. If you need to have "rocket bunts" to prevent a game exploit, and if you need to remove your first baseman from the bag on base hits to prevent a game exploit, and if you need corner outfielders to shade the lines and all outfielders to play further from the wall to prevent a game exploit, then something is wrong with your game.

I'm fine with that for the PS4 era, but it's reasons like this why I'm really hoping the PS5 version is built from the ground up.
A majority of those who take issue with rocket bunts have a significantly different experience than you because the biggest issue for that majority is that they cannot sacrifice bunt runners over because the CPU almost always goes to second base to get the lead runner.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-08-2020, 05:57 AM   #10
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
A majority of those who take issue with rocket bunts have a significantly different experience than you because the biggest issue for that majority is that they cannot sacrifice bunt runners over because the CPU almost always goes to second base to get the lead runner.
Strange, I wish I've filmed more of my games to show the exact opposite. I mean they'll go there time to time to keep me in check, but there are other times where they're like: "We know what's in place here. We'll cut you some slack."

Interesting that I haven't noticed this as much.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 08-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #11
Rookie

wizfan2's Arena

OVR: 3

My work around for this in the last couple years has been to go to manage mode and sim in sacrafice bunt situations but this year it hasn't seemed to bad.

"A wise man never knows all, only a fool knows everything"

"If you were making a list of people you trusted, would you put your name down"
-NF "Only"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #12
Pro

jrnlgrn's Arena

OVR: 0

I've found letting go of triangle to pull back and deaden it has been a good tactic for me. Sometime the game is just going to decide to rocket bunt regardless but it works enough for me to call it a useful tactic. I'd have to load up the game to give you specific numbers.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
Rookie

It honestly sucks trying to play small ball especially in franchise. Even with a faster than average players gets forced out at 2nd almost everytime. If you arent getting it right on the line good luck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
Pro

JHodges57's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnlgrn
I've found letting go of triangle to pull back and deaden it has been a good tactic for me. Sometime the game is just going to decide to rocket bunt regardless but it works enough for me to call it a useful tactic. I'd have to load up the game to give you specific numbers.

Unfortunately, in MoM mode we don't control the stick so the AI rockets it 100% of the time no matter how good the bunt rating.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:35 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 20

I set all my pitchers, lead off men and 8 hole hitters to 100 on bunt slider. Seems to help a good amount of the time
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

so they have sliders for contact and power, I'm surprised there isn't a bunting slider by now.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »