Home

Pinpoint Pitching doesn't seem to be worth the boost in accuracy

This is a discussion on Pinpoint Pitching doesn't seem to be worth the boost in accuracy within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Pinpoint Pitching doesn't seem to be worth the boost in accuracy

Is the interface easier or harder depending on which level you play on?
Old 04-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
I don't think it's any easier on lower difficulties, but it is more forgiving. I could be wrong but I think you get graded the same for the same input on every difficulty but the PAR (region your pitch ends up) is smaller on lower difficulties.

I have to disagree so far with the original post. I was expecting it to be much harder to learn, but it's actually not that bad. I also find that the gesture part of the pitch is reasonably forgiving. Matching the speed seems to be much more important than the shape of the gesture, also you can get perfect releases with an 80% gesture, which is a pretty low bar.

I've seen tutorial videos saying that the final part of the delivery, hitting the circle at the bottom of the interface, is the part that contributes the most to accuracy. Anecdotal, but this is how it feels so far to me. Could be wrong though.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will I Am
I'm playing on HOF at the moment. Honestly, I can't really tell between the different levels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2021, 12:26 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainOnTim
I don't think it's any easier on lower difficulties, but it is more forgiving. I could be wrong but I think you get graded the same for the same input on every difficulty but the PAR (region your pitch ends up) is smaller on lower difficulties.

I have to disagree so far with the original post. I was expecting it to be much harder to learn, but it's actually not that bad. I also find that the gesture part of the pitch is reasonably forgiving. Matching the speed seems to be much more important than the shape of the gesture, also you can get perfect releases with an 80% gesture, which is a pretty low bar.

I've seen tutorial videos saying that the final part of the delivery, hitting the circle at the bottom of the interface, is the part that contributes the most to accuracy. Anecdotal, but this is how it feels so far to me. Could be wrong though.
I actually detail how pitch location is determined here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-cvivkDXyw

Yeah, the release timing and the end point determine your pitch location. It is the most important part of the mechanic. The release timing (the transition timing from end point of gesture to end point of release) determines how high and low the ball strays from your intended location. Early release goes high, late goes low. The end point match determines left and right, which the feedback actually tells you where you ended.

This is identical to MLB2K8
Old 04-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #13
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvantu
Early release goes high, late goes low. The end point match determines left and right, which the feedback actually tells you where you ended.

This is identical to MLB2K8
What about for sliders and other breaking pitches? I'm pretty sure early release means the ball will end up higher and off to the pitcher's arm side, while late will be lower and to the glove side all things being equal.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:48 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
What about for sliders and other breaking pitches? I'm pretty sure early release means the ball will end up higher and off to the pitcher's arm side, while late will be lower and to the glove side all things being equal.
Possibly, though I haven't noticed that. I've been pinpointing breaking balls as well as other pitches. I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything, just that what I mentioned has the obvious visual effects to pitch location. Really, the most important part, as you said, is the timing from the end point of gesture to end point of release. If people nail that one part down consistently, they'll be pitching like a pro.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvantu
Possibly, though I haven't noticed that. I've been pinpointing breaking balls as well as other pitches. I'm not saying that you're wrong or anything, just that what I mentioned has the obvious visual effects to pitch location. Really, the most important part, as you said, is the timing from the end point of gesture to end point of release. If people nail that one part down consistently, they'll be pitching like a pro.
I could be wrong about this, but it always felt to me like that's how early/late release worked for breaking balls using meter. I'm assuming it's the same here. I'm assuming it's simulating the effect an early/late release has on breaking pitches in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #16
Banned

Quote:
I could be wrong about this, but it always felt to me like that's how early/late release worked for breaking balls using meter. I'm assuming it's the same here. I'm assuming it's simulating the effect an early/late release has on breaking pitches in real life.
I guess the main thing is that we know early/high and late/low no matter the pitch. I do think you can be right that it would affect the veering of the pitch on breaking balls. It's hard for me to tell. I think the biggest problem for people will be the affect of early release because..well...when you're trying to throw a breaking ball down, and you end up throwing in the wheelhouse, it is frustrating. My first few games I played, I couldn't understand what was causing that to happen. Get that release timing down and really...it doesn't even matter if the theory is true or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »