Home

Does XP matter in "pure" Franchise?

This is a discussion on Does XP matter in "pure" Franchise? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2021, 01:31 AM   #1
Rookie

furball321's Arena

OVR: 0
Does XP matter in "pure" Franchise?

History:

1) Since 2013, I've played The Show only in Franchise.
2) I only bought the game after OSFM rosters came out.
3) As a result, I learned nothing about other modes and paid no attention to any particular ways to gain XP.
4) I have played almost every franchise game in "real time," pitching and batting each pitch.

So, this year I bought the game on release day. I could be wrong, but there seem to be lots of issues I never used to worry about:

1) Although I didn't "worry" about XP in prior years, I bought "Sponsorships," And I think XP helped me earn those. (?)
2) The game seems offline a lot. Am I earning XP when I finish a Franchise game when SDS servers are offline?
3) I see no place to see how much culmulative XP I have earned, or how to "spend" that XP for Franchise benefits.

Ultimately, I guess my question is, what does earning XP gain me in pitch-by pitch Franchise mode? And how do I monitor XP gains and see where and how to spend it for Franchise benefits?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by furball321; 05-03-2021 at 01:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2021, 01:44 AM   #2
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

Re: Does XP matter in "pure" Franchise?

For franchise, the only thing you might want is sponsorships or stubs to increase your budget , if that's still a thing this year.

xp: as you increase xp you level up, when you level up you earn things that can be sold for stubs or get free stubs. Stubs is the games currency. Sponsorships can be bought with stubs. One caveat, this year if you alter the sliders in any way you no longer earn xp.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
Rookie

Just like the previous poster said, for pure franchise XP matters only as a way to get stubs so you can purchase diamond sponsorships.

As you level up XP, go over the inning program to see if you can unlock anything -- stubs, cards to sell for stubs, etc.

Since they took away purchasing budgets with stubs this year, it's all about sponsorships.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #4
MVP

Unless they changed it for 21 the cpu teams do not use the sponsorships and therefore I never used it because I considered it a cheat.

Maybe someone could weigh in on whether they changed it for this year's version.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
Rookie

That's a fair house rule.

I've never bought more budget, so I won't miss that.

I don't think budgets ever go up, though, do they? Because of this, I use sponsorships. Small market teams that crush should receive boosts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2021, 09:25 AM   #6
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I think people are mad for two reasons. At least I know I am.

1. The current budget system has severe limits that can cause problems. Not only do you have situations where the league wide budget isn't keeping pace with player salaries, resulting in really good players languishing in free agency down the line, but you can also never turn the Cleveland Indians into the New York Yankees, no matter how well you do. People might argue that the city of Cleveland could just never support the fanbase that New York can, and I'd counter that by saying everyone thought Detroit was going to be one of America's biggest cities in the 60s. Population is a dynamic thing. Both of these things can be dealt with by using stubs, which require XP or money to get.

2. It's the insult on top of the injury of the fact that franchise, for the millionth time in a row, had gotten no meaningful update, and at this point it desperately needs it. It's even more insulting that there was a very obvious solution to prevent people from farming XP that most people would have been fine with (make XP gain based on innings played alone) and yet SDS still gave us the shaft. We're being treated like third rate consumers, being spit on and told we should like it.

Add that on top of the removal of year to year without any reason given, and I think us franchise players have plenty of reason to be pissed off.

It's cool you're ok with it. Everyone's got their own things they like/dislike or care about. I'm just fed up. It's a small thing, but after years of very clear issues needing to be delt with in franchise and getting nothing but lip service and the run around, it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-03-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball321
...this year I bought the game on release day. I could be wrong, but there seem to be lots of issues I never used to worry about:

Although I didn't "worry" about XP in prior years, I bought "Sponsorships," And I think XP helped me earn those...
this is my single biggest issue, nay, my biggest disappointment w/21 because even though I play on dynamic difficulty I still cannot (and refuse to) use the default sliders. huge misstep on the Studios part imo to turn xp off when using adjusted sliders. this screwup has me on the verge of shelving 21 for the time being (I'm hopeful they'll decide to change this decision with a patch) while I dust off a previous years version where I can gain xp w/adjusted sliders in Franchise

A Work in Progress
Old 05-03-2021, 10:25 AM   #8
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I think people are mad for two reasons. At least I know I am.

1. The current budget system has severe limits that can cause problems. Not only do you have situations where the league wide budget isn't keeping pace with player salaries, resulting in really good players languishing in free agency down the line, but you can also never turn the Cleveland Indians into the New York Yankees, no matter how well you do. People might argue that the city of Cleveland could just never support the fanbase that New York can, and I'd counter that by saying everyone thought Detroit was going to be one of America's biggest cities in the 60s. Population is a dynamic thing. Both of these things can be dealt with by using stubs, which require XP or money to get.

2. It's the insult on top of the injury of the fact that franchise, for the millionth time in a row, had gotten no meaningful update, and at this point it desperately needs it. It's even more insulting that there was a very obvious solution to prevent people from farming XP that most people would have been fine with (make XP gain based on innings played alone) and yet SDS still gave us the shaft. We're being treated like third rate consumers, being spit on and told we should like it.

Add that on top of the removal of year to year without any reason given, and I think us franchise players have plenty of reason to be pissed off.

It's cool you're ok with it. Everyone's got their own things they like/dislike or care about. I'm just fed up. It's a small thing, but after years of very clear issues needing to be delt with in franchise and getting nothing but lip service and the run around, it's the straw that broke the camel's back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
I don't agree with that. I've done multiple tests with 10 years out. Franchise budgets explode and many teams have well north of 150-200 million in budgets some have over 300. The only unsigned are players 79 rated or lower and over 34.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »