Home

MLB The Show 22 Technical Test Available Now

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 22 Technical Test Available Now within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2022, 01:36 PM   #193
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 22 Technical Test Available Now

I do like some of the new animations. A couple of times I seen a off balance swing on a foul ball and the batter almost loses his balance on the follow through.

https://twitch.tv/bryanm1982

Braves Franchise

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 02-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #194
Pro

Any Indy playing it on Series S? I’m curious how it looks vs X
Old 02-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #195
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrnlgrn
Win probability popping up during an actual game makes more sense IRL because it seems like people who enjoy sports betting might find value in it.

In The Show it doesn't make much sense to me because we're the ones playing the game. I don't see the value it gives for a video game. IRL a player isn't thinking of win probability.

Given how touchy some online players are when losing, they might see they have a low % chance of winning and be more likely to rage quit. Of all the available stats they could have on screen they decided to add a probability meter. I just don't see the need for it.

If they are going to have it in the game it should be something you'd see at the start of a game, on the schedule screen or when the commentary team is discussing an upcoming series.

Sent from Operation Sports Xtreme Mobile App
Win Probability isn't a betting line. It's not something that's set before a game based on the match-up. It's determined by comparing the game state to historical data. So every game starts off with the same Win Probability.

Here's a brief explaination:

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/advance...win-expectancy

Also, it's used quite often by sites like Fangraphs who very much don't have a interest in betting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-19-2022, 08:41 PM   #196
Rookie

Out of all these years … I’m so UNEXCITED for this years game … it bums me out

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-19-2022, 08:43 PM   #197
Pro

Played a 5 innings at default HOF with Timing hitting and Classic pitching.

Max Fried (me) couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The CPU seemed to have better pitch accuracy/control with fewer pitches left out over the plate. I was lucky to keep the game close (1-0) going into the bottom of the 4th where I was finally able to put a couple runs on the board and take a 2-1 lead. Win probability was 87% going into the 5th inning. Top of the 5th for the CPU saw a lead off double > sacrifice bunt > a walk > a strike out > a seeing eye single between SS and 3rd to tie the game > a routine grounder to 3rd that the 1st baseman dropped > a grand slam.

MLB then declared the game a forfeit claiming the Astros cheated by using a comeback code.

Overall, pitch speed felt better at HOF than All-Star. User pitch accuracy/control felt much worse at HOF than All-Star. CPU pitching felt about the same. Hitting, especially gap/power, was better at HOF than All-Star for both myself and the CPU. Not sure if that was because of playing on HOF or the use of Timing instead of Directional swing, but it was noticeable.

Going to play another game at default All-Star with Timing and classic pitching. May give Meter pitching a try to at both All-Star and HOF to compare pitch accuracy/control.

Not a fan of the win percentage display. I hope there's an option to turn it off.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:06 PM   #198
MVP

bronxbombers21325's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Osprey
Played a 5 innings at default HOF with Timing hitting and Classic pitching.

Max Fried (me) couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. The CPU seemed to have better pitch accuracy/control with fewer pitches left out over the plate. I was lucky to keep the game close (1-0) going into the bottom of the 4th where I was finally able to put a couple runs on the board and take a 2-1 lead. Win probability was 87% going into the 5th inning. Top of the 5th for the CPU saw a lead off double > sacrifice bunt > a walk > a strike out > a seeing eye single between SS and 3rd to tie the game > a routine grounder to 3rd that the 1st baseman dropped > a grand slam.

MLB then declared the game a forfeit claiming the Astros cheated by using a comeback code.

Overall, pitch speed felt better at HOF than All-Star. User pitch accuracy/control felt much worse at HOF than All-Star. CPU pitching felt about the same. Hitting, especially gap/power, was better at HOF than All-Star for both myself and the CPU. Not sure if that was because of playing on HOF or the use of Timing instead of Directional swing, but it was noticeable.

Going to play another game at default All-Star with Timing and classic pitching. May give Meter pitching a try to at both All-Star and HOF to compare pitch accuracy/control.

Not a fan of the win percentage display. I hope there's an option to turn it off.
What’s your opinion on timing hitting? To me it seems harder to get hits than using directional without picking a direction, which has acted as timing for the last several years. Maybe it’s all in my head though.
New York Yankees, Pittsburgh Steelers, Kentucky Wildcats, #18 Kyle Busch, #4B Jackie Boggs, #0 Scott Bloomquist
Old 02-19-2022, 09:18 PM   #199
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

I just noticed there is a difference in the settings between timing and directional. Wasn’t it always combined?

https://twitch.tv/bryanm1982

Braves Franchise

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 02-19-2022, 09:21 PM   #200
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
What’s your opinion on timing hitting? To me it seems harder to get hits than using directional without picking a direction, which has acted as timing for the last several years. Maybe it’s all in my head though.
This was my 1st time using Timing. It felt easier to hit at HOF with timing hitting than at All-Star directional hitting. With HOF timing hitting, both myself and the CPU had noticeably better hitting than All-Star directional. More contact, more harder hit/line drives, less strikeouts (especially for the cpu). edit: Now whether Timing hitting has anything to do with that or it's because of HOF difficulty, I'm not sure.

Keep in mind, I've only played a handful of games to this point, so it could just be I swung at the right pitches and got lucky keeping the game close as long as I did. I normally play to Veteran+/All-Star hitting and All-Star to All-Star+ pitching (using directional/classic), so HOF is a big challenge for me.

Last edited by Grey_Osprey; 02-19-2022 at 09:28 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »