Home

OS Official UFC Undisputed Strategy and Help Thread

This is a discussion on OS Official UFC Undisputed Strategy and Help Thread within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #57
LP
Johnny Canuck

LP's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: OS Official UFC Undisputed Strategy and Help Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
What is the best way to set up the Thai clinch? I can't seem to get it going even when Liddell is covering up.
It is easy if you can sidestep one of his punches.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 AM   #58
MVP

VanillaGorilla's Arena

OVR: 9

Only problem I am having is getting Rua off the mount on Advanced. Nothing I do gets him off of me, the only way I can shake him is if he goes for a sub, I can power out of it.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:33 AM   #59
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Wooo, I think I'm finally getting the submissions down. I got Chuck twice in a row with armbars on Advanced, one from open guard (2nd round) and the other from mount (1st round). The key to the early one is the transition from rubber guard to mount -- that is absolutely killer. I just held him down in mount and hit him with a few hammerfists and body blows. After about 8 struggles to escape, I grabbed his arm and finished him off -- so satisfying to win that way.

EDIT: 3 in a row!! Feeling great... got him shortly after the beginning of the 2nd with a triangle choke out of rubber guard. Rua is deadly with those big transitions and his very tough transition defense... it doesn't matter if I'm in dominant position or on the bottom, I'll be in good position soon enough and stay there until he's worn out. The only time he sneaks out is when he gets a reversal or I get anxious and strike as soon as I get the new position.

Last edited by Stumbleweed; 04-28-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 AM   #60
Rookie

oChaos_Nine's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Wooo, I think I'm finally getting the submissions down. I got Chuck twice in a row with armbars on Advanced, one from open guard (2nd round) and the other from mount (1st round). The key to the early one is the transition from rubber guard to mount -- that is absolutely killer. I just held him down in mount and hit him with a few hammerfists and body blows. After about 8 struggles to escape, I grabbed his arm and finished him off -- so satisfying to win that way.
Button mashing or rotating? I turned on the stamina bar just to see how low I could get Rua before I could submit him with Chuck. I know Chuck isn't good at subs but w/e. Anyway I had Rua down to 1/4 life by the end of the first round. I would keep powerbombing him when in his guard, throw a punch or two when in standing gaurd then get back down and powerbomb him again. By the end of the 2nd round he was about 1/8 stamina. When the 3rd started he could barely stand up and I'd leg kick him still stunned. I tried subbing him 3 times in the 3rd and I still have 90% of my health but he kept breaking out of it.

Also, how do you go from rubber to full mount with Rua? And if I'm on my back with Chuck how do I reverse to get on top. Doesn't matter if I minor or major transition w/ or w/o holding LB he either cliches or tries to kick him off.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 AM   #61
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by oChaos_Nine
Button mashing or rotating? I turned on the stamina bar just to see how low I could get Rua before I could submit him with Chuck. I know Chuck isn't good at subs but w/e. Anyway I had Rua down to 1/4 life by the end of the first round. I would keep powerbombing him when in his guard, throw a punch or two when in standing gaurd then get back down and powerbomb him again. By the end of the 2nd round he was about 1/8 stamina. When the 3rd started he could barely stand up and I'd leg kick him still stunned. I tried subbing him 3 times in the 3rd and I still have 90% of my health but he kept breaking out of it.

Also, how do you go from rubber to full mount with Rua? And if I'm on my back with Chuck how do I reverse to get on top. Doesn't matter if I minor or major transition w/ or w/o holding LB he either cliches or tries to kick him off.
I've been doing the rotate with Rua. I'll try the same strategy with the buttons and report back.. it might not make a difference, but I'm still suspicious because the only submission I got with buttons was with Chuck.

The transition from rubber guard to mount is the major transition motion. You can also transition into back side guard, which is pretty useful for LB knees.

If you're on your back, you have to flick RS with good timing when he's trying to transition. I seem to do it best out of side control with Rua -- he'll flip him right over most of the time. Remember that it's easier to transition/sweep when you're in an advantageous position -- so if you're in side control on defense, that's slightly better off than being mounted. With Rua on Expert, he's VERY tough to get off you once he's there (especially mount), so you basically have to try your hardest to make sure he doesn't get there with transition blocking and being very careful not to get swept when transitioning. And if he does get mount or another dominant position, you just have to try and pull him down to your chest and hold him there and pray for a bell to ring.

Honestly, when I'm Chuck, I'm trying to stand if Rua gets me on my back, so I'm trying for major transitions to stand up and blocking him if he's getting close to mount or back control. Gotta defend the rubber guard like mad, because that's how he normally gets dominant position (unless he takes you down).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #62
Rookie

oChaos_Nine's Arena

OVR: 11

Ok I just did the same strategy with Rua. I leg kicked Chuck to death and by the 3rd he was heavy breathing walking to the center as the round started. I went rubber, major to mount and tried to get an armbar and he pulled out. Got back up, clinched, took him down to guard then moved to rubber guard. Let him tire out trying to out then went for the submission. Had him in it for the longest, he repositioned twice then pulled out. Grrr....

Whats your GT? I might just have to get you in a party or something, lol.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 AM   #63
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

I'm finally beginning to work the ground better with Rua.

I think I can transition better if I know what I am doing. I probably am just hitting the stick the wrong way or maybe going for majors unintentionally.

I have yet to get a submission though. You say wait until Chuck tries to push you off about 7-8 times?
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 04-28-2009, 04:27 AM   #64
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

Okay, after testing this for about 2 and a half hours too long (supposed to go to sleep for work hah), I was able to submit Chuck on Advanced about 15 times (5 first round, 6 second, 4 third). All but 1 were done by rotating the stick -- I was trying to get him with the buttons but he kept slipping out. The one time I did get him with buttons, he was rocked after a hammerfist and I got an armbar from mount... he was extremely vulerable on that one.

So my amatuer conclusion after all that is that the stick is better for Rua at least (I'll try to a similar setup with Chuck tomorrow to see if it's a power vs. finesse fighter thing)... maybe it's me being good at moving the stick or the stick being "curved" to do more with less movement compared to the buttons... I dunno, because I push them fast as hell (mash it) and it's very tough to submit Chuck but I can get him quickly with the stick.

Anyone else (DaKKon, Phobia, LP?) have any thoughts on that? It was pretty conclusive in my testing with Rua -- I was absolutely killing Chuck with the stick and he only escaped a few times when I tried that method, usually when I was trying to get it in the first round. The technical moves especially seemed quick with the stick -- the sig triangle choke from mount, and the triangle from rubber guard were very fast.

Baumy, yeah, I let about a minute go off the clock with me holding Chuck down as he struggles before I try a submission... that's normally about 7 or 8 struggle attempts, sometimes more. I also try to work the body to avoid KOing him, because I did that plenty of times by accident with a well-placed hammerfist ha. I wait until he's attempted two quick transitions in a row (he panics when he's mounted) and then click it on.

I also noticed that it helps if you push LS in a direction while you try to submit them -- it helps your leverage and you'll see animations where they adjust themselves or slide the opponent across the mat to get a better grip (not the normal cinch animation).

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »