Home

Stand-up tips??

This is a discussion on Stand-up tips?? within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Stand-up tips??

Anyone have any tips for the standup game? I am very good at the ground game, but I get owned sometimes when I'm standing up with some people. Do you guys use combinations or something?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 9
Re: Stand-up tips??

Put combos together, counter attack and also keep them guessing. Don't be too predictable. If you do head kick, make sure you land otherwise they will counter back and potentially put you in a bad spot.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Countering is always effective, use counter combos, mix it up, work the body with both kicks and counter-punches, dont be afraid to use jabs and straights instead of just relying on hooks, mix in straight kicks as they can really throw people off, change levels, remember leg kicks cant be blocked and if you throw a lot of leg kicks, you can sneak a head kick in there with devastating effects
Old 07-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
MVP

judgejudy's Arena

OVR: 13

leg kicks are blocked with low block.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
All Star

mikenoob's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgejudy
leg kicks are blocked with low block.
Yup, everyone says leg kicks can't be blocked for some reason. Also, holding R1 doesn't protect your whole body.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2009, 03:39 PM   #6
Livin' the dream

Stumbleweed's Arena

OVR: 39

Learn some of the combos for your striking style. I used to hate boxers but now that I know most of the combos, they're much more useful. Not all moves can be strung together, but the combo list for all 3 styles is HUGE, so it encompasses almost everything you would think to string together. For the boxer example, they have a triple jab combo that is useful and can be strung together with other combos such as the left hook-uppercut. Getting the combos to activate (combo strikes are much faster than normal ones) is mostly about the timing of button presses, but if you're getting blocked on all the strikes it does generally break your combo.

One of my favorites with kickboxers/MT guys is the low kick followed by a high kick with the same leg.. if you time it right, the high kick comes much quicker than it would otherwise. Boxers can string signature LB strikes together as well -- so something I like to do is use a stepping jab to get into range, immediately go to the body for 2-3 blows, then quick LB uppercuts when I push into clinch range.

And yeah, stepping strikes rule. I try not to overuse them because they're not terribly realistic (aside from stepping leg kicks), but they're incredibly useful for keeping your opponent guessing and keeping the fight ranged (which is the best strategy if you're a kickboxer). If you're a boxer or MT fighter, they're useful for getting in quickly where you can do your real damage... a quick step jab will get you nearly into clinch range, as will the powerful body step strikes. For a MT guy, the step strikes are a great setup for the MT clinch, as you generally need to be getting them when they're not in the middle of a strike and when they're close (both conditions are generally met shortly after a stepping strike).

Also, it sounds amateurish, but KEEP YOUR HANDS UP! People who aren't blocking constantly get caught with flying knees to the face, ducking hooks, spinning backfists, etc, and all kinds of other Flash KO material. Just keep your hands up at your face at all times, especially when you're at distance (and especially with a kickboxer, as they cover a lot of ground quickly). I rarely block the body... I will generally catch their punches with RS instead of blocking low because it puts you at too much risk for a big head kick, quick Superman punch, etc. I HATE losing by Flash KO, so this is Item #1 for me in every fight.

Remember that you can block your head (or body if you wanted) and catch punches at the same time... that's my main defensive strategy when standing up. Always cover the head, and if they start getting through (either to the body or if you get caught when you're trying to attack), I always go for the catch, which often results in a takedown and control.

Last edited by Stumbleweed; 07-02-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Great reply Stumbleweed. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Learn some of the combos for your striking style....

Remember that you can block your head (or body if you wanted) and catch punches at the same time... that's my main defensive strategy when standing up. Always cover the head, and if they start getting through (either to the body or if you get caught when you're trying to attack), I always go for the catch, which often results in a takedown and control.
This is something I'm working on now. Good post homie.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »