Home

UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs Guillard

This is a discussion on UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs Guillard within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-24-2009, 01:38 AM   #105
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: UFC Fight Night: Diaz vs Guillard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop_Brady
All I have to say is when you only have a 3 round fight you damn well better make sure that a 10-8 is justified because that's putting too much weight on potentially 1 total minute of the fight. All I'm saying is I don't want a 10-8 awarded when the guy getting the 8 actually did some work in the round. I don't care if he gets dropped 2 times if he works through it and gets into a dominant position in the same round.

You know a round I'd be curious to see how it was judged would be the first round of the Griffin/Franca fight. In that first round Tyson worked his combos and definitely controlled the round while Hermes basically did nothing. He circled but didn't throw anything or try any type of takedown. To me that should be a 10-8 round. Or when Caleb Starnes ran away from Quarry that's a 10-8.

I understand why you guys think more 10-8 rounds are needed in MMA, you think that will result in better results. I disagree with that assessment. I think it will lead to more draws.

Curious how you guys scored the Velasquez/Kongo fight. Velasquez was damn near finished off 3 times in that fight so going by what you guys are saying those rounds should have been 10-8 Kongo because he rocked him. If I recall correctly Cain was rocked 3 times in 2 different rounds. That would be 29-26 if you award 2 rounds to Kongo 10-8 and one round to Velasquez 10-9. If you only award a 10-8 on the round he rocked him twice I'm assuming you'd have to give him the other round 10-9 resulting in a 29-27 win for Kongo. I just don't see that.

More 10-8 rounds would ruin MMA IMO as there's only 3 rounds to score. That's why I think 10-8's should be really earned or in the case of Starnes/Quarry given.
We should probably stop arguing since we agree to disagree, but you can't assume how I would score that fight you brought up. Cain beat the piss out of kongo on the ground, he really effed him up on the ground, so he more than made up for being stunned. He was also not dropped like Condit was, condit was actually out at least once and collapsed and it was like watching a firecracker go off in someone's fist and seeing it explode. You keep saying he was only losing for 1minute too, but that's actually not true...watch the fight again...in the 2nd round also condit lost 3.5min to 1.5min.
Cain really beat the hell out of kongo on the ground...that's a really bad example and it makes me realize you're missing my point or at least what I consider valuable in judging a fight.

To me it's all about remembering this is a FIGHT. if someone is squirming on their back and has a somewhat active guard - so what? to me a submission attempt is something you have to excape, not just setting up for one - to me you have to try to end your opponent throughout the fight, you have to try to beat him up, make him bleed, break his limb - it's a FIGHT reward those who are winning the whole FIGHT aspect of it.

Like I said I think Condit probably could have won a 5 rounder, but he lost 2 rounds and one of them pretty effing badly. There is a pecking order that should exist in points...like that first mount condit got, the dude pushed him off with one arm onto his back. It's not that condit didn't do anything, it's that he was getting obliterated.

Maybe there would be more draws..who knows, but they might be deserved as well...if you lit someone up the 1st round badly and the next two he controlled with tackdowns but didn't do damage...it should be a draw. Effective AGRESSION and doing DAMAGE counts more than anything else - that's what a fight is.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »