Home

UFC 140 - Jones v. Machida- Dec. 10

This is a discussion on UFC 140 - Jones v. Machida- Dec. 10 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #41
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: UFC 140 - Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Title fights should always be about records and streaks. The belt is the reason most UFC fighters are in the business. A person who gets a title shot should have a better record than 1-2 in the last 2 yrs to justify a title shot.
Quote:
When have we ever seen someone with a losing record in the last 2 yrs get a title shot?
Title fights "should be" but sometimes it just can't happen like that. Unless they give it to Hendo for beating a few relatively unknown guys in SF. He beat Fedor, but at HW, and Fedor was coming off two straight losses looking as vulnerable and predictable as ever.

Like I said, Machida really doesn't deserve the shot, but it goes back to my original point to where you shouldn't just be idle in a division ripe with that kind of talent. Either give the shot to Machida or Hendo.

I think you meant a losing record in the past year, not past two years, and I agree with you, you probably won't find too many if any. That's just the nature of the business.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Title fights should always be about records and streaks.
I disagree.

You have the title contender injured, and you've got arguably the 2nd best LHW in the world ready to fight. Who else do you propose gets the shot, someone who doesn't post a threat at all?
Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #43
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by st67
I disagree.

You have the title contender injured, and you've got arguably the 2nd best LHW in the world ready to fight. Who else do you propose gets the shot, someone who doesn't post a threat at all?
The argument for Dan Henderson could easily be made, though I wouldn't make it because I prefer Machida.

But I agree, you need to replace Evans.

Evans may be ready for a FEB bout, but I'm assuming that's late FEB and that's without any hiccups with the injuries. That's too big a risk IMO especially when you have two contenders in Machida and Hendo ready and able right now.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
The argument for Dan Henderson could easily be made, though I wouldn't make it because I prefer Machida.

But I agree, you need to replace Evans.

Evans may be ready for a FEB bout, but I'm assuming that's late FEB and that's without any hiccups with the injuries. That's too big a risk IMO especially when you have two contenders in Machida and Hendo ready and able right now.
Dan Henderson is coming back out of Strikeforce; Machida has at least earned a recent victory in the UFC; and had a win taken away from him against Rampage - everyone, including Rampage, knows Machida won that fight. Henderson's also already booked for UFC 139 against Rua.

Who else is there in the UFC LHW division who deserves a title shot right now and poses a real threat to Jones?

Machida is the only viable option for a real fight here. I don't really see how anyone can say he doesn't deserve this shot; and on top of that, it's the best matchup they could have made, since Machida is one of only two people in the UFC LHW division right now who really has the style and technique to beat a guy like Jones.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #45
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Quote:
Dan Henderson is coming back out of Strikeforce; Machida has at least earned a recent victory in the UFC; and had a win taken away from him against Rampage - everyone, including Rampage, knows Machida won that fight. Henderson also already booked for UFC 139 against Rua.

Who else is there in the UFC LHW division who deserves a title shot right now and poses a real threat to Jones?
Bro you're repeating yourself. Clearly there is nobody in the division worthy outside of Henderson and Machida. I was simply saying that Hendo has a case as well.

Machida lost against Rua twice let's not forget that. Henderson could have been pulled from that fight against Rua, but would have been a headache.

Machida is clearly the choice and the best of all possible options.

Rashad Evans himself said he would have done what Dana did. So I'm all for this fight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #46
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
I disagree.

I dont know who would argue Machida is the #2 LHW in the world? The guy is 1-2 since 2009. He's arguably lost 3 of his last 4 fights. Evans is only out for 3 weeks. The ONLY reason Machida is getting a shot is because Dana needed a main event for 140 and wasnt happy with Mir/Nog 2.

Machida/Davis was going to headline 140 but Davis is still out. Dana could have made Nog/Mir 2 the main event (sucks for Toronto but its not like they didnt have a huge card in April) pushed Evans/Jones back to the Super Bowl weekend show and maybe co headlined that with Machida/Davis.

**** forget Hendo, I'd argue Rua deserves a shot over Machida. Rua fought Jones on short notice, destroyed Forrest and has arguably 2 wins over Machida.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #47
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Bro you're repeating yourself. Clearly there is nobody in the division worthy outside of Henderson and Machida. I was simply saying that Hendo has a case as well.

Machida lost against Rua twice let's not forget that. Henderson could have been pulled from that fight against Rua, but would have been a headache.

Machida is clearly the choice and the best of all possible options.

Rashad Evans himself said he would have done what Dana did. So I'm all for this fight.
What about Rua?
Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Fans want to see new matchups also. People have already seen Jones dominate Shogun. Sure Shogun may have not been in the best shape and was hurt, but the dude is always hurt. There's a greater than 50% chance he's going to be fighting with some sort of injury or something.

A lot of people on this forum and other sites felt like Machida gave the best matchup to Jones, just because its so tough to see how the fight plays out. And I wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't deserve the shot, sure he controversially has gone 2-2 in his last 4, but he's still a top 5 LHW.

I'd say he deserves it more than Henderson. Henderson wasn't exactly a world beater while in the UFC. He goes to SF and then gets beat up by a welterweight and then beats up 2 over the hill fighters and Feijao. Not exactly the most quality wins. I'd like to see him win at least 1 in the UFC before he gets a title shot. If he can beat Shogun, then sure give him the next title shot after Evans.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »