Home

Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier, Melendez vs. Thomson III - May 19th

This is a discussion on Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier, Melendez vs. Thomson III - May 19th within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #41
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Strikeforce: Barnett vs. Cormier, Melendez vs. Thomson III - May 19th

I don't know, Cain beating an opponent Cormier already made look silly wouldn't warrant a shot to me regardless of his injury during the JDS fight. Plus I'm really not a fan of giving these guys almost rematches right away. Let Cain fight a guy after Bigfoot to earn his way back.

Werdum has a case, but I do like Cormier's better simply due to the fact that Werdum has that recent loss to Reem. A victory over Nelson and Russow is just OK. His wins in SF should not be overlooked but the recent loss sort of dulls his wins before Reem.

If you wanna do a Werdum/Cormier eliminator I'm all for that
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #42
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

I just think you should need more than wins over Barnett and Silva. 3 fights ago, Cormier was fighting on Strikeforce Challengers card. He wins two fights and now he's one away from a UFC title shot? I would be ok with a title eliminator v. Cain but we all know he wont fight Cain because they are in the same camp.

This discussion doesnt matter anyway. Cormier owes one more fight to SF and Showtime is going to hold him to it. Rumor has it that the UFC is going to send Shane Carwin to SF for one fight against Cormier.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #43
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Give Jon Jones the next HW title shot against the winner of JDS/Mir. Then let Wedrum & Cormier battle it out for the next number 1 contender. Throw Overeem in a #1 contenders fight when he comes back in December. He can wait for his title shot since he made us wait.

/wishful thinking.

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cain get a rematch if he beats Big Foot. After seeing Machida get a title shot after only winning one of three fights, nothing would surprise me. The way that Corimer has completely dominated his competition makes me lean towards him, but I don't see it happening just yet.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 05-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #44
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Dana says some truly puzzling things sometimes.

The latest is him saying Cormier might be too small for HW in the UFC

I really don't get it Dana. Besides the fact that Cormier just dismantled two of the bigger and better HW's in the world, his training partner, Cain, is virtually the same damn size.

The only good news about Cormier is that Dana has said Cormier will get an immediate title shot when he enters the UFC. Bad news is that Cormier broke his hand (again) and that he has one more fight in Strikeforce.

Hopefully Cain doesn't beat Dos Santos or else things could get pretty weird when Cormier is ready to fight for the title in the UFC.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #45
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Dana says some truly puzzling things sometimes.

The latest is him saying Cormier might be too small for HW in the UFC

I really don't get it Dana. Besides the fact that Cormier just dismantled two of the bigger and better HW's in the world, his training partner, Cain, is virtually the same damn size.

The only good news about Cormier is that Dana has said Cormier will get an immediate title shot when he enters the UFC. Bad news is that Cormier broke his hand (again) and that he has one more fight in Strikeforce.

Hopefully Cain doesn't beat Dos Santos or else things could get pretty weird when Cormier is ready to fight for the title in the UFC.
I've always thought that about Cormier. He's two inches shorter than Cain and he's doughy as hell. He could dominate at 205.

Also Cain wins....they arent fighting. They both said as much. So Cormier will be forced to go to 205 anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #46
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

His kidney disease is a problem and could prevent him from cutting weight...

That's what I mean, Cormier has said he'd never fight Cain... which would then force his hand to move down. With his ailment, I don't know how easy it would be for him to simply move down in weight and hopefully wouldn't affect his performance in that weight class.

Regardless glad Dana said he'll get a shot. He deserves it.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #47
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
His kidney disease is a problem and could prevent him from cutting weight...

That's what I mean, Cormier has said he'd never fight Cain... which would then force his hand to move down. With his ailment, I don't know how easy it would be for him to simply move down in weight and hopefully wouldn't affect his performance in that weight class.

Regardless glad Dana said he'll get a shot. He deserves it.
I didnt know about his disease. Well then he needs to fight Cain. Cormier/Cain cant turn into another Fitch/Kos situation.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #48
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

I thought he got the kidney problems from trying to cut weight for the Olympics. Maybe he could cut to LHW with a lot of preparation and work, but who knows. If he can't though, there is no way they should refuse to fight each other, especially in a division as shallow as heavyweight is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »