Home

UFC 168:Weidman v. Silva 2 / Rousey v. Tate 2 - Dec. 28 - Las Vegas

This is a discussion on UFC 168:Weidman v. Silva 2 / Rousey v. Tate 2 - Dec. 28 - Las Vegas within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #73
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: UFC 168:Weidman v. Silva 2 / Rousey v. Tate 2 - Dec. 28 - Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
I seriously think Rousey has some mental or emotional issues that she needs to go to a therapist to deal with. She wasn't acting, she really takes everything as an attack on her. She for some reason has an inferiority complex and she can't handle anyone not liking her.
I think she just hates Tate. Looking back at her SF fights and the Carmouche fight she never had an issue with Kaufmann or Carmouche or any of the other fighters she fought. Tate just gets under her skin. She did the same thing when they fought the first time in SF.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #74
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

I think the fact that Tate comes off as a cool female though makes Rousey look bad. I like Rousey too but she is being a bit excessive when it comes to the rivalry.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #75
MVP

Hiro1's Arena

OVR: 7

I liked Tate more and Rousey considerably less after watching the show. After watching the countdown I like Tate even less as she comes off as jealous and bitter. She acknowledges it, but it doesnt make it any better.

I hope they put on a show, maybe Tate beats Rousey's face in for 4 1/2 minutes then gets caught in an arm bar. My other hope is either Holly Holm or Cat Zigano then TKOs Rousey.

Uriah Hall VS Leben is interesting as well a nice winner packs their bags match.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-27-2013, 12:41 AM   #76
Pro

GiantYankee's Arena

OVR: 8

I'm really looking forward to this event. Love Ronda when she is not around Tate. Her worst usually comes out. I would love to see what happens when Rousey doesn't get an arm bar. Weidman vs Silva is tough to call. Weidman must take Silva down several times and be active from the top. If Silva can defend some takedowns and works his kickboxing without being a clown I can see him winning the fight pretty easy. During Rd 2 of first fight I remember Silva working the low kicks pretty nicely. I felt that Chris was in some trouble until the clowning came out. Hope this is the best card of 2013.
Michigan Wolverines (11 National Championships)
New York Rangers (4 Stanley Cups)
Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 AM   #77
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Just because I'm so anxious for this fight, I'll respond to this but when did Anderson ever have Weidman in trouble? Even a little trouble?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #78
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Just because I'm so anxious for this fight, I'll respond to this but when did Anderson ever have Weidman in trouble? Even a little trouble?
I remember repeatedly saying during the end of the first and the second first that Weidman was in trouble if he kept it standing. Ive watched the fight multiple times and every time I watch it I see a bunch of opportunities to counter that Silva wasted and I note how slow Weidman's combos looked. I really didnt see much of a striking speed difference between Weidman and Griffin/Bonner's strikes.

The difference was that Weidman has more power and was throwing strikes from different angles. Why did Weidman knock Silva out? Because he threw a funky backhand that missed right before landing the left hook. That threw off Silva's timing and put that followup hook right on the button. Silva is used to lesser strikers throwing basic 1-2 combos and he has that timing down to a science. Weidman doesnt just throw 1-2s and thats what will help him in the fight.

But what the hell do I know? I have no idea who's going to win this fight. The only reason I'm picking Silva is based on his previous 7 years and the fact that I think he had a few chances to counter in the 2nd round of the last fight.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #79
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
he wasn't in trouble as he wasn't getting rocked or put in bad positions, but the fight was turning ... more rounds like that and he wasn't going to win

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantYankee
I'm really looking forward to this event. Love Ronda when she is not around Tate. Her worst usually comes out. I would love to see what happens when Rousey doesn't get an arm bar.
I don't know if she could handle it. With it being Tate she may go crazy. If she lost a decision then look for some Diaz type stuff. If she got knocked out or subbed, I wouldn't want to be near her after that. Roid rage may look tame if that happens compared to her.

Last edited by p_rushing; 12-27-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #80
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I remember repeatedly saying during the end of the first and the second first that Weidman was in trouble if he kept it standing. Ive watched the fight multiple times and every time I watch it I see a bunch of opportunities to counter that Silva wasted and I note how slow Weidman's combos looked. I really didnt see much of a striking speed difference between Weidman and Griffin/Bonner's strikes.

The difference was that Weidman has more power and was throwing strikes from different angles. Why did Weidman knock Silva out? Because he threw a funky backhand that missed right before landing the left hook. That threw off Silva's timing and put that followup hook right on the button. Silva is used to lesser strikers throwing basic 1-2 combos and he has that timing down to a science. Weidman doesnt just throw 1-2s and thats what will help him in the fight.

But what the hell do I know? I have no idea who's going to win this fight. The only reason I'm picking Silva is based on his previous 7 years and the fact that I think he had a few chances to counter in the 2nd round of the last fight.
Yeah I guess you could speculate that Weidman would have been in trouble if he kept it standing, which is the general feeling people felt and still feel going into the next fight. I'm just trying to figure out when Weidman was ever in any even minimal trouble in their first fight. I never saw that or even believed that at any single moment.

Weidman actually used some precise striking in the exchanges and was impressive in my opinion offensively and defensively. As you said, Weidman chained some nice combo punches. He doubled up on rights and didn't go for bombs. He kept a very tight game plan and kept his composure. Anderson was still Matrix-like, as I have mentioned before, and Weidman had to work to time Anderson right. It could have been a lucky knockout punch but all the work and striking leading up to that moment was pretty technical. It wasn't like Weidman just got one lucky shot and was just throwing wildly, he was timing him all down with his punches.

Defensively, Weidman displayed good head movement himself. He didn't stay open too long against Anderson's flurries, Anderson opened up at times in their first fight where he was going for the kill. Weidman never panicked, which to me either was extreme confidence or sort of a deer in the headlight moment. I still can't really tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
he wasn't in trouble as he wasn't getting rocked or put in bad positions, but the fight was turning ... more rounds like that and he wasn't going to win.
I don't even know if I could say the fight was turning at all. I didn't see that, I saw Anderson getting more confident that Weidman wasn't going to hurt him but I never thought "oh here we go, Anderson is starting to turn it on". Anderson never hurt Weidman in the least or even gave me a reason to think that was going to happen. The longer that fight went we might have seen Weidman take him down more but we won't know until this Saturday.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »