Home

UFC on Fox 10: Henderson v Thomson, January 25

This is a discussion on UFC on Fox 10: Henderson v Thomson, January 25 within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: UFC on Fox 10: Henderson v Thomson, January 25

Gilbert/Khabib is a good title eliminator imo. If Gilbert wins he is on a winning streak after losing a close decision to Benson Henderson for the belt. If Khabib wins, he is undefeated and has hype behind him.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:13 AM   #10
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

OVR: 31

Agreed, I think that fights makes a lot of sense for clarity in the division. If Thomson beats Henderson, does he get a shot at Pettis? I think it'd be tough to deny Thomson a shot.

I'm excited to see Gonzaga and Stipe, boys are looking real good lately.

Always excited to watch any Cowboy fight. I hope he wins and responds to Cole Miller.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Yes if Thomson wins he deserves a title shot imo. The KO of Diaz and then an upset of the former champ? Definitely deserving.

Right now imo the rankings for the LW title shot is something like this:
1. Melendez
2. TJ Grant
3. Thomson (Moves to top if he beats Henderson)
4. Benson
5. Khabib
6. Nate Diaz
7. Jim Miller/Cowboy if he wins/RDA/Khabilov/Michael Johnson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2014, 01:18 AM   #12
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

I don't think I could put Diaz above RDA right now. If anything, they're even.

Other than that hard to argue that list. Again though, at this point, if you get a win against a top 10 guy, you have accomplished a lot.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:24 AM   #13
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
I don't think I could put Diaz above RDA right now. If anything, they're even.

Other than that hard to argue that list. Again though, at this point, if you get a win against a top 10 guy, you have accomplished a lot.
Fair enough. I think Diaz KO'ing Maynard is more impressive then RDA's winning streak. Especially when I thought Dunham beat him. Depending on when Grant comes back, I think Khabib/Grant would be a decent fight as well, although it'd be BS if Grant don't get a title shot because he got "injured". RDA moves into the top 5 if he beats Khabilov in his next fight though. That'd be 6 wins in a row.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:28 AM   #14
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Good point on RDA. I just look at how Diaz got absolutely dominated by Bendo and then thumped by Thomson. Maynard is on his way down unfortunately

You could really make the argument that RDA would deserve a title shot with a win against Rustam and then another good win. Diaz could get a shot with one good win, based off the wow factor. Same with Gilbert. Same with Khabib. Benson needs to beat Thomson and get another win to get another shot. Grant will most likely get a top 10 opponent and if he were to win decisively, I think he'd deserve another title shot. So obviously, a lot of guys that I think could get a title shot simply with one good win.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:50 AM   #15
All Star

redsrule's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan
Good point on RDA. I just look at how Diaz got absolutely dominated by Bendo and then thumped by Thomson. Maynard is on his way down unfortunately

You could really make the argument that RDA would deserve a title shot with a win against Rustam and then another good win. Diaz could get a shot with one good win, based off the wow factor. Same with Gilbert. Same with Khabib. Benson needs to beat Thomson and get another win to get another shot. Grant will most likely get a top 10 opponent and if he were to win decisively, I think he'd deserve another title shot. So obviously, a lot of guys that I think could get a title shot simply with one good win.
Yeah those are definitely going against him. I have no issue with him being down or moving RDA up with him though. That was just the list off the top of my head.
If RDA beats Rustam, then say he beats someone that was above him in that list he definitely deserves a title shot.
I'd say outside of TJ Grant (already deserves one) and Benson (will have an issue getting one while Pettis is still champ) you could make a case that Melendez, Khabib and Thomson all deserve a shot with one more win. Then you have guys that could rise quickly, like Adriano Martins if he beats Cerrone on Saturday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
I'll thank him for you

ex carrabba fan's Arena

Apparently Cowboy is broke and thought about retiring had he not defeated Evan Dunham.

He said he wants to fight 6 times in 2014. Wow

Quote:
“What really happened is I spent all my money and now I’m broke,” Cerrone told Majority Draw Radio. “Now I only got one choice, and that’s to fight.

“It’s hard to have money in the bank and want something and then not get it. I just (expletive) buy it. I have no idea what saving money is. It has nothing to do with wanting to go broke. I wish I had millions in the bank; I’d never go broke. Let’s get that belt and get millions in the bank.”

The downslope, as Cerrone referred to it, began around the time he lost his UFC 141 fight against Nate Diaz. Since then, the Jackson’s MMA standout said he began to taper off in his training, being present physically, but lacking the mental focus that he had in years prior.

The problem, Cerrone revealed, was that he reached a comfort zone and remained there for an extended period of time.

“What happened was I got real comfortable financially, and just kind of let off everything — my training, I lost my fire,” he said. “I was training, going through the motions.”

Even as he collected a notable win over K.J. Noons at UFC 160 last May, Cerrone said he was missing something.

“I was fighting, but didn’t have that inner kill in me,” he said.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »