Home

Beta Impressions

This is a discussion on Beta Impressions within the MVP MLB Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #9
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: Beta Impressions

Quote:

Comp625 said:
How "realistic" do you think the game is?

Do you have fun playing the game?

What are some flaws/bugs that you've found so far?

Can you work the batter (if you are pitching) or can the pitcher work you (if you are batting)?

Have you walked any batters or have you been walked yet?

Is hitting very easy to the point where you'll master the offensive game after about 10 games (a la WSB2k3)?

Thanks Steve!

Well, through 5 games, I feel it's pretty damn realistic. I mean you can't really judge a game from 5 games, but it really "Feels" like baseball. I've had a 5-4, 5-1, 6-2, 7-2 and 2-1 game.

Fun?? OMFG yes!!

Well, the player fatigue would be nice and will be implemented next year, so I wouldn't call that a "Bug". I have seen the CPU AI take a single instead of a double on balls hit off the wall. It's not all the time, but it is the slower runners that are being held to singles and the balls hit off the wall have been some line drive shots that bounced right back to the outfielder, so I don't see it being an issue "Yet". Also in 720p mode, there is some FPS issues. During gameplay it's not really seen, but when batters walk up and on certain cut scenes you can definitely tell the game slows down.

Yeah, the game captures this aspect pretty well if you ask me. I'm averaging maybe 1 or 2 walks a game, if I play the "Patient" game. I usually swing at anything that looks close, cuz I'm inpatient. There are walks in the game tho and on movie clips I was taking the CPU vs. CPU games had a few themselves.

I don't think the batting is easy, but it's going to be different for everyone. Pulling an inside pitch works beautifully, if you try and pull an outside pitch, you'll see a dribbler, etc. I absolutely LOVE IT!!
Old 02-23-2004, 12:46 PM   #10
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

Quote:

tabarnes19 said:
Is there anywhere in the game where stats are recorded from year to year like the back of a baseball card? If not can you at least see the performance the previous year. Can you go into more detail about trades and free agent signings?

Thanks

Hmmmm...Haven't really had the time to mess w/ the franchise modes, but I have done a little snooping. Trades seem detailed enough and the AI is smart enough to make the right decisions. I didn't see anything wrong w/ the trade engine, "YET".
Old 02-23-2004, 12:48 PM   #11
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

Quote:

TheTruth said:
Steve,
How many walks/strikeouts are you seeing in your games?

Thanks

For myself, I don't walk many times in a game. I'm just impatient. I have walked the AI a few times, but try to stay away from giving away a free base, unless it is needed to get to the pitcher, etc.

I haven't seen any intentional walks to get to my pitcher, etc...."Yet". I'm guessing it's there, just haven't seen it yet.

I'm striking out about 6 w/ my average guys and 10 w/Schmidt (Giants)

Again, while making movies w/ the CPU vs. CPU games, I saw some walks and deep pitch counts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2004, 12:49 PM   #12
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

Quote:

toychri said:
Other than the walks questions that people have already asked. Do the announcers make any mention of specific stat records as the season progress's? Example : If I was about the hit for the cycle would the announcers mention that I only need a triple, etc.?

Haven't seen it yet, but if I get into that situation, I'll be sure to mention it.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #13
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

Quote:

WatchdogXC said:
Are the minor leaguers that haven't made it to the majors yet based on the real players like NCAA football and just have fake names or are they completely fictitious? I really hope all I have to do is edit their names.

Shawn answered this in his EA Sports Thread. It is just like NCAA Football, but some of the players that have made transitions into the pros and sent back down are actually in the game.

Shawn explains it better in the other thread tho. Someone hook it up.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Without Fatigue being an issue, if you sim a season do all the AI starting players play 162 games?

How many hits do you average per game( I saw the low scores so I'm optimistic about realism).

How is stealing bases, realistic percentages.

Does the AI adjust lineups for Lefty vs. Righty matchups.

How long does it take to sim/ manage a game. Are all the options there like hit and run, squeeze, etc.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 2

2 quick questions:

1) I haven't seen this in any of the clips yet, but last year there was a significant problem with baserunners retreating to the bag before advancing to the next on balls hit to the outfield. This made for some rather improbably force-outs at second base. Have you noticed this in '04?

2) Last year's box scores left a lot to be desired. High Heat had in-depth box scores with everything from sac-bunts to pinch runners recorded. It even had a play-by-play log. How do MVP '04s box scores measure up?

Thanks so much!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2004, 12:59 PM   #16
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

Quote:

fistofrage said:
Without Fatigue being an issue, if you sim a season do all the AI starting players play 162 games?

How many hits do you average per game( I saw the low scores so I'm optimistic about realism).

How is stealing bases, realistic percentages.

Does the AI adjust lineups for Lefty vs. Righty matchups.

How long does it take to sim/ manage a game. Are all the options there like hit and run, squeeze, etc.

Thanks.

I haven't simmed a season yet, hope to do it very soon.

The fewest I've seen so far, (Me - 5, AI - 3) Most I've seen (Me - 15, AI - 12)

I have been caught a few times and swiped a few, so far I'd say 50%.

Good question, I'll look for it.

I'm going to get a quick movie clip of sim/manage very soon. I only tinkered w/ it really quick just to check it out.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball »