Home

Hitting Tips? (Xbox version)

This is a discussion on Hitting Tips? (Xbox version) within the MVP MLB Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Hitting Tips? (Xbox version)

I haven't played a baseball sports game since the last generation of hardware (PS/N64) and I just picked up MVP2004 for the Xbox. Have used a action replay to get the latest lineups.

That said on All-Pro I am pretty decent with pitching, when I have a strong pitcher like K. Wood / Maddux / or Prior I can work the corners and really hold my own against the computer. HOWEVER...

I am USELESS in hitting. At Rookie level I can knock balls all around the park. If I go Pro or higher I am lucky if I get one guy on base each inning. 50% of the time I strike out and the other 50% it is a weak infield grounder or pop fly to the outfield. I can't for the life tell where the ball is going to go in the strike zone although I am a little better at telling if it is going to be an obvious Ball.

Can anyone provide me any tips? Is it just "keep practing" or is there something I should look for to determine when and how to swing?

Thanks for any help, right now I don't stand a chance at winning a game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 14
Re: Hitting Tips? (Xbox version)

search this forum, there are plenty of tips already posted.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:05 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 7

Patience. Especially on the higher levels like All-Star and MVP, you have to make the CPU throw you a pitch you can hit. If he can get you to swing at something you dont want, then he's doing his job.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10

I'll tell you what I do. Pro or All-Star, doesn't matter. Same principles apply.

1) For nine hitters, the first time through the lineup, I always take the first strike before I swing at anything else. This helps to ensure that the pitcher throws a decent amount of pitches early on so that he's softened up later in the game. Go through the lineup twice taking the first strike if it suits you. *Sometimes* I will break my own rule and swing at the first strike early on if the pitch is a nice red meatball down the center of the pipe.

2) Play your batter's hot zones, if you use them. Before the pitch think "I am not going to swing unless the ball is headed to this spot". And stick to it. Once you have two strikes against you, then swing at whatever's in the strike zone. Usually, I go though this type of process: 0 strikes, I'm only swinging if it's coming right here. 1 strike, I'll swing if it comes here, or here. 2 strikes, swing at anything in the strike zone.

3) Pay attention to the types of pitches thrown, and watch them come off the pitcher's hand. This will help you to gauge what it is, and where it's going.

4) A no-brainer, but, swing where the ball is going, not where it is.

5) Just play, baby. The more you play, the easier it gets.

Hope it helps ya.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:42 PM   #5
D*st*ny

HiJumpr111's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:

ChiTownKid said:
I'll tell you what I do. Pro or All-Star, doesn't matter. Same principles apply.

1) For nine hitters, the first time through the lineup, I always take the first strike before I swing at anything else. This helps to ensure that the pitcher throws a decent amount of pitches early on so that he's softened up later in the game. Go through the lineup twice taking the first strike if it suits you. *Sometimes* I will break my own rule and swing at the first strike early on if the pitch is a nice red meatball down the center of the pipe.

2) Play your batter's hot zones, if you use them. Before the pitch think "I am not going to swing unless the ball is headed to this spot". And stick to it. Once you have two strikes against you, then swing at whatever's in the strike zone. Usually, I go though this type of process: 0 strikes, I'm only swinging if it's coming right here. 1 strike, I'll swing if it comes here, or here. 2 strikes, swing at anything in the strike zone.

3) Pay attention to the types of pitches thrown, and watch them come off the pitcher's hand. This will help you to gauge what it is, and where it's going.

4) A no-brainer, but, swing where the ball is going, not where it is.

5) Just play, baby. The more you play, the easier it gets.

Hope it helps ya.

ChiTown could not have spelled it out any clearer!!!
Great advice!

Follow these rules and in just a few games you WILL see a difference and it will be very rewarding.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MVP MLB Baseball »