Home

Finding the balance. Cheese : Greatness

This is a discussion on Finding the balance. Cheese : Greatness within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Finding the balance. Cheese : Greatness

So in my last two games I had a couple of crazy moments. And it got me thinking, how should 2k balance cheese and real life style momentum or rather cheese and greatness?

Mo Williams had a 50 point game this year. If someone dropped 30 with him on MyTeam people would be infuriated. Look at KD. If someone just strolls up the court and pulls up from 27ft, splashing the three with a hand in his face. I yell B.S... but in reality KD is more than capable of doing that. Guys posterizing elite defenders? It happens.

So the zig zag and the baseline cheese are major issues. Granted. But should we just accept the other stuff if it's happening with great players? What about when it happens with Mo? T-Ross? Or any other guy?

Can 2k find the balance between competitive, fun, non cheesy game and having "special" players being able to do things that most players couldn't?

If so, how do you think they should do it? And if not, what else can they do to make the game "fairer"?

You don't need to read the rest of this post. It's just examples.

I'm using my last two games as examples. So in the first game I was struggling. The guy I was playing had a starting line up of; LBJ - KD - Melo - Dirk - Rodman. Now my starting 5 was; Lillard - Klay - Iguodala - Olajuwon - Russell

The opponents strategy consisted of three things, 1. Post Lillard up using Lebrons size to his advantage. 2. Try and spam baseline dunks. And 3. Run pick and pop for Melo.

I managed to prevent the baseline dunking and I switched Iguodala onto LeBron, Klay went onto KD and Lillard went onto Melo. But this made the pick and pop with Melo even more deadly.

By half time I was down by 17.

Then Klay Thompson happened. I ran back to back floppy plays for him and netted two easy baskets (long 2s) while somehow managing to prevent the opponent from scoring on their first 4 possessions. I run another play for Klay, cut to the basket, get fouled, hits the free throws. I'm now down by 11 and this is where it got crazy. Klay was heating up, next trip down I run a pick and fade and Klay hits the 3. Down by 10 (they made their last bucket). I then went on to make 4 more treys.

For the rest of the quarter I ran a grand total of two plays, one for Klay and one for Iguodala. Klay missed. Iguodala made his shot.

Klay scored 23 points in the third quarter missing only one shot. We started the 3rd quarter down by one point. And we ended up winning by 7.

Now at first this had me jumping out of my chair, it was a rush seeing him go off like that. At one point I decided just to try and heat check by throwing up a VERY deep three (about 32ft from the basket). He made it. All I could do was grin and shake my head. But after the game I started thinking how cheesy it was, I mean there was a few minutes where I didn't even run plays for klay. Just pulled up or got him open using a screen.

But then I thought, cheese usually means exploiting. Which usually means non-sim as in "this doesn't happen in the nba irl"... but Klay holds the record for the most points scored in a quarter. So... This does happen in real life.

The second game was my first ever double overtime game in MyTeam.

Lillard was nursing an injury so I started my 6th man Stephen Curry (for those wondering about the bench, my back up SG is Onyx Richardson, my back up SF is Silver Gallinari, my back up PF is Silver Draymond and my back up C is Cousins, I also have Korver and Vucevic in there).

The game was close all the way through regulation. I had been dominating in the post running plays for Olajuwon. My wings had been playing okay and Steph had dropped 30 points by the end of the game. Now that's a lot of points for a 20 minute game... but wait. Down by 2 I decide to go small for the last possession. Steph at point, Korver at the 2, Klay at the 3, J-Rich at the 4 and Cousins at the 5. My plan is to get a shooter open and go for the win. I manage to break Korver free but he's inside the 3 point line, I hit the two and tie the game. Overtime.

First period of overtime has started and the opponent is pulling away... then Steph goes and pulls a Klay. I. Could. Not. Miss.

After back to back clutch 3s to tie the game and force a second overtime, we end up winning by about 10.

Curry finished with 52 points.

This is some cheese. I ran plays all throughout the regulation time but when overtime hit and Curry was cooking I just started running PnRs and pull ups in transition.

Now again. Imo, this is quite cheesy.... but thinking about it. Steph does do this in real life. He is THAT good.

So how do you balance what players could actually do IRL vs what's "fair" in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 17
Re: Finding the balance. Cheese : Greatness

It all about how someone gets their points. If they're using basketball strategy to put up 50 with a Ty Lawson, it's fair game. Superstars should also play like their irl counterparts.

The thing is defense has to matter, in MyTeam most of the time it doesn't. The problem with MyTeam is the casual difficulty settings. Play With Friends is on Pro and RTTP increases from Rookie to SS as you move up in seeds. In RTTP your going to encounter some head scratching moments. For the simple fact that ppl are running with a super teams plus the difficult setting allow erratic gameplay to be successful.

2k haven't officially confirm what difficulty setting each seed is played on. I don't think they ever will. From my experience playing the game I can tell what going on. It's doesn't feel like SS until you reach the 2nd seed. Imo, on SS settings gameplay still feels a bit easy. Ideally online competitive modes should be played on HOF/SIM. They want their game to be assessable so I get why RTTP is mostly played in lower settings. Come on tho, there's no reason Play with Friends should be set on Pro. At least give us to option to choose settings just like online quick matches vs friends.

2k15 isn't that far off in finding that balance. It's all about playing on the right difficulty setting. Besides baseline drive and zig zig there isn't anything else that I consider cheese. And both of those are far less effective HOF/SIM settings.

XB1
Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Rookie

Pretty sure they tried to limit it with shot fatigue but everyone hated it?
Old 03-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #4
Pro

Readysetdiego's Arena

Never found shot fatigue to be a real thing even online before the patch.

Anyways, riding the hot hand is something we all do, and if the shot comes through swinging the ball, PnR's etc, then I see no problem with that.

When players get hot, they start making some tough shots until they miss and start cooling down. Don't see why that shouldn't be the case in 2k. I've had moments with Curry and Lillard where they just got on a tear and knock down 3 after 3.

Some come off pick and rolls, other times the guy doubles and the ball just ends up in their hands and they are open so I take the shot. And ofcourse some heat checks in transition but those fail more often than not.

IMO you don't have to run and score off a play in order for it not to be cheesy, because teams don't always run plays after every possession.

The momentum change is real though. I've been up big at half, and then I end up missing point blank layups and open shots and end up with a 1-10 type of quarter. The other guy can't seem to miss and then he either blows the game open in his favor or I swing momentum back onto my side.

How exactly to prevent momentum swings is something I still dont know 100%. Time-outs and timely buckets help, but sometimes those point blank misses just kill you.

I had a triple OT game yesterday, Olajuwon had 39, Curry had 20 and 15. The guy just played C with Griffin and tried off ball double teaming and then tried to recover. I just ran non stop pick and rolls or simply posted Hakeem up and just went to work. His offense was left right 3's or turboing in circles with sapphire Wall. It works pretty well until I decided to clamp down on D and end the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »