Home

Overhauling team OVRs and the return of capped leagues

This is a discussion on Overhauling team OVRs and the return of capped leagues within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

OVR: 0
Overhauling team OVRs and the return of capped leagues

One of the persistent issues I see in these threads all surround the same issue about match ups in MTO.

The main problem is how overalls are formulated. I have a 99 OVR team with two diamonds. My highest rated card is Ben Wallace and I have Willis Reed coming off the bench. I had Diamond Parker but even when I took him out and replaced him with 85 Steph Curry I remain at a 99 OVR. How? What are they averaging out.

Now I don't know much about algebra... But I know you can't get an average of 99 with no 99 players and this wouldn't be a problem if it didn't put me in categories with teams who have 13 Diamonds or even PD cards. Why do I, a person who fields 5 Rubies, have to be lumped in with a group of players whose worst player is better than my best.

I think it'd at the very least, it'd get rid of complaints of "equalizer" because 99 OVR should be much harder to achieve. Like this lineup is possible with challenges, luck from BT, and about 50k MT. Why should I be in the same bracket with somebody who had to beat BT, Prestige in MTO 3 times, and spend hundreds in VC chasing players like Diamond Kristaps & T-Mac. Or hours hunting for shoe cards and jerseys to get those PD reward cards.

Secondly, we need to bring back tier restrictions. I mean that in regards to what cards you can use in certain tiers. It increases the value of lower tiered cards. It'd make the game more challenging and it'd prevent those cross league matchups that make people get on here and complain about how Emerald Porzingis, out-rebounded their PD Wilt.

I know 2K has a myriad of problems, especially ones more pressing than these with the impeding E-Sports thing, but MT is still a huge mode. My favorite by far, and nagging issues with it's core mode (MTO) are what keeps me from buying packs and at one point, made me stop playing all together.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Overhauling team OVRs and the return of capped leagues

The overall rating definitely is wrong, but I don't believe it has to do with the match-up

I wasn running emerald squads facing diamonds early on and I had like 90-92 overall (even that was wrong too)

I think matchups have only to do with players pool and +/-2 division or something like that

Overall I don't think you will ever be able to run an emerald team in Diamond league and expect to face similar rated opponents. This is due to the fact that 2k WANTS you to have motivation to constantly improve your team by buying VC

That said, I would very much appreciate a totally restricted ladder, where you can not have more than 3 superstars and the rest role players. There, line-up building strategy would make a lot of sense

But as I said, I don't believe it will happen
Old 03-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 1

Yeah I mentioned this on another thread and I think its a huge deal.

Early in the game, when no one had uber-teams, you could make it up the ladder organically.

But now, where so many players have diamond studded rosters, once you reach Ruby, if you don't spend a bunch of real money on VC or hours playing the AH, you are going to be at a huge disadvantage.

I've twice been matched up against multiple PD players in Ruby and just been crushed. My team is a lot like the OP.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Pro

GrimaceZ7's Arena

Isn't Overall the average of Team Offense and Team Defense?

I've noticed that if you put a couple of very good offensive players and a couple of very good defensive players in a lineup, regardless of color or overall, that lineup has a very high Overall.

I agree though, it's messed up. As is the idea of punishing people in-game for having the players they spent so much money or MT to buy. A team of Emeralds should get absolutely demolished by a team of Diamonds unless the stars align and the guy with the Emeralds is amazing on the sticks compared to the guy with the Diamonds.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Pro

Fakename22's Arena

OVR: 4

I have a team full of rubys and like 3 amys and my team is almost a 99 ovr. But I dont think it should matter how much you spent on the game you still have to play the game.

I agree on one thing though bring back line up restrictions. Its pretty lame to have an all diamond team in the bronze league.

I dissagree on saying an all emrald team should lose automatically to the all diamond team. Like I said with my team, its all rubys and like 3 amys but I just found an emerald card that Im playing over Ruby Fat Lever, Ruby Hornacek, Ruby Reggie Lewis and Ruby Jimmy Butler and thats an 83 ovr Emrald Dell Curry whos release, stats and hotspots are insane. So I have him over several rubys he "made" my team so to speak when I didnt think there was even a saphire that could make my team.

Last edited by Fakename22; 03-10-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
Pro

GrimaceZ7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakename22
I dissagree on saying an all emrald team should lose automatically to the all diamond team.
I didn't say "lose automatically." But there should not be an in-game mechanism in place to artificially boost players who use Emeralds against Diamonds. Especially when people are spending real money and/or hours of grinding to obtain those high end cards.

The idea of spending hundreds of dollars to complete a collection and get a Diamond Carter or whatever, only to have him bricking wide open midrange shots while your opponent is draining contested threes with Emerald DeAndre Jordan is asinine.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
Pro

Fakename22's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimaceZ7
I didn't say "lose automatically." But there should not be an in-game mechanism in place to artificially boost players who use Emeralds against Diamonds. Especially when people are spending real money and/or hours of grinding to obtain those high end cards.

The idea of spending hundreds of dollars to complete a collection and get a Diamond Carter or whatever, only to have him bricking wide open midrange shots while your opponent is draining contested threes with Emerald DeAndre Jordan is asinine.
I agree spending hundreds of dollars to complete a collection for a video game that will have a new version in 6 months is asinine.

You have video of you missing green light open threes with Vince and your opponent "draining" contested threes with an emrald Jordan?

Id like to see it and if it exists it should be tweeted to the devs asap.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
Pro

GrimaceZ7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakename22
I agree spending hundreds of dollars to complete a collection for a video game that will have a new version in 6 months is asinine.
Alright, that's enough of you. I'm sure there's an ignore or block feature here. It's a shame, this is such a great forum, but you add nothing to it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »