Home

Alley oops, Dunking, and defending them

This is a discussion on Alley oops, Dunking, and defending them within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #1
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

OVR: 0
Alley oops, Dunking, and defending them

Is anybody having problems finishing dunks and alley-oops in traffic. 2K has this weird idea that just being in the way can stop an alley oop or dunk regardless of size, attributes, or badging.

I pulled Diamond Deandre Jordan and decided I'd test him out on one of those BS challenges from the beginning of the year and not once but twice did DJ miss dunks because of defense from guys he would destroy in real life. Part of DJs appeal is that his dunking is nearly unstoppable without a foul and that's against other bigs. Against Eric Bledsoe, it's an automatic murder or foul, maybe both if you ask his teammate Brandon Knight. Yet two times after a P&R switch, I missed dunks over Bledsoe. No fouls, just two bricked dunks. The worst part is EB didn't even jump, he just stood there, under the hoop, but that was apparently enough.

This has been a problem for me all year in MT and I know they worked on how easy it is to dominate in the post against small guys, but that has to translate to other areas to make certain players play like themselves.

On a P&R if DJ gets a full head of steam, 95% of guys are just gonna move outta the way and of the 5% that don't, about 95% of them end up on ESPN top ten either with a miraculous block or more likely added to the list of posters DJ has collected. I don't know if they need to add more animations to the game to replicate this but it's absurd to see LeBron or Deandre flounder through the air with that one missed dunk animation we all hate or just miss because a guy was in the area, but 2K has to do more to account for guys like this in these scenarios IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Alley oops, Dunking, and defending them

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
Is anybody having problems finishing dunks and alley-oops in traffic. 2K has this weird idea that just being in the way can stop an alley oop or dunk regardless of size, attributes, or badging.

I pulled Diamond Deandre Jordan and decided I'd test him out on one of those BS challenges from the beginning of the year and not once but twice did DJ miss dunks because of defense from guys he would destroy in real life. Part of DJs appeal is that his dunking is nearly unstoppable without a foul and that's against other bigs. Against Eric Bledsoe, it's an automatic murder or foul, maybe both if you ask his teammate Brandon Knight. Yet two times after a P&R switch, I missed dunks over Bledsoe. No fouls, just two bricked dunks. The worst part is EB didn't even jump, he just stood there, under the hoop, but that was apparently enough.

This has been a problem for me all year in MT and I know they worked on how easy it is to dominate in the post against small guys, but that has to translate to other areas to make certain players play like themselves.

On a P&R if DJ gets a full head of steam, 95% of guys are just gonna move outta the way and of the 5% that don't, about 95% of them end up on ESPN top ten either with a miraculous block or more likely added to the list of posters DJ has collected. I don't know if they need to add more animations to the game to replicate this but it's absurd to see LeBron or Deandre flounder through the air with that one missed dunk animation we all hate or just miss because a guy was in the area, but 2K has to do more to account for guys like this in these scenarios IMO.
I'm totally with you. I basically never throw alley oops anymore because of this. It's not worth it when there's a decent probability the dunk will miss and end up in my opponent's hands. It doesn't even have to be a guy with Rim Protector in the area. Anybody within 5 feet of the hoop scares your dunker and he totally blows it. I get that we don't want these to be totally OP, but I think they went too far the other way with it.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickstank
I'm totally with you. I basically never throw alley oops anymore because of this. It's not worth it when there's a decent probability the dunk will miss and end up in my opponent's hands. It doesn't even have to be a guy with Rim Protector in the area. Anybody within 5 feet of the hoop scares your dunker and he totally blows it. I get that we don't want these to be totally OP, but I think they went too far the other way with it.
Exactly. Like I was playing the Suns default roster on Pro difficulty and this happened. So imagine how useless DJ is on offense against guys running Hakeem or Kareem. I'm gonna sell him before his value goes down anymore.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Pro

I do 2 or 3 successful oops with kemp every game. It's all about the pass angles and positioning. I'm not sure how to describe it.. But with practice the alley oop game is fairly successful and rewarding.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Pro

Bi00's Arena

I've probably thrown more lobs in the last month than my entire time reaching prestige 3. They are just tons of fun and everyone on my team has a decent shot at completing them. These new super bigs that have 80+ speed and 80+ dunking are great at finishing.

It's all about the angles and knowing which animations and player collisions can stop the attempt. Transition lobs are probably my favorite play now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba13laze
I do 2 or 3 successful oops with kemp every game. It's all about the pass angles and positioning. I'm not sure how to describe it.. But with practice the alley oop game is fairly successful and rewarding.
If it's working for you and Bi00, maybe I need to try some more. I kind of gave up on the idea long ago, but I've got KG, Hakeem, LeBron and Giannis now, so that will probably help.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #7
MVP

I'm not having this problem and not seeing it on the other side, whether human or CPU opponent.

And have recently also been throwing a lot of lobs, because I have Kemp.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

I wanna make sure it's understood that I'm specifically talking about lobs with players in the way that shouldn't be able to stop them. P&R lobs/dunks where the lane is empty is always money for me however plays where a guard is just standing under the hoop I brick them almost all of the time. When those situations in real life are always a foul or poster. Not saying they should be unguardable but I don't think asking for the greatest lob catcher in recent history to be able to slam one down over a 6'2 guy who didn't even bother to jump is a stretch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »