Home

Graphics comparison: 2K23 vs 2K25

This is a discussion on Graphics comparison: 2K23 vs 2K25 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports FC 25 Review: We Need to Go Back to Formula
The Pain and Misery of Simulated Stats
EA Sports College Football 25 Guides, Explainers, and Tutorials

Old 09-06-2024, 07:50 AM   #105
MVP

PhlliesPhan6's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Graphics comparison: 2K23 vs 2K25

2k23 might look better on a screen shot. But to me 2K25 plays so much smoother and overall looks more realistic during gameplay. The courts are also plenty reflective when you see the actual game. More than it appears in the screenshots and videos we've seen posted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2024, 08:08 AM   #106
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlliesPhan6
2k23 might look better on a screen shot. But to me 2K25 plays so much smoother and overall looks more realistic during gameplay. The courts are also plenty reflective when you see the actual game. More than it appears in the screenshots and videos we've seen posted.
That’s very fair and I don’t doubt it.

I just think 2K got off lucky by lowering the bar with 24 so much that 25 gets to be compared to it. That’s not discounting how good 25 looks, it’s just highlighting how easy its bar is.

My hunch is that if 23 was put up against 25 in a variety of ways (we already see courts in screenshots but that’s all we got) via detailed video breakdown graphics comparisons, 23 would prove a tough opponent to beat. I could be wrong, but that’s my hunch.

Here is a comparison of 23 and 24. The graphics superiority of 23 here imo looks about as great as the graphics superiority of 25 vs 24. 23 absolutely demolishes 24 across the board and the comments of course agree. Just like 25 demolishes 24 across the board.

Meaning, 24 is beaten by the game that preceded and succeeded in in these comparisons. So let’s get the heavyweights together and see who really comes out on top.

I don’t think 2K cares about how people view its graphics compared to previous games. But if I’m 2K and I do care, I wouldn’t want people making 23 vs 25 comparisons either. I’m happy to have 24 used as an easy benchmark to beat.

Last edited by AIRJ23; 09-06-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:20 AM   #107
MVP

Let me add one more here,

It’s not just the COURTS that look better in 23 than 24. It’s the PLAYERS! 24 lowered the bar across the board. It objectively looks worse in every single respect than the game it replaced.

Now, 25 ALSO looks better than 24 across the board. But I wouldn’t downplay the beauty of 2K23. Not only does it hold up, but if I’m 2K25, I’d be hesitant to enter in a graphics comparison against it (and if someone is so inclined, please prove me wrong by making one, as I don’t have 25 yet )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9486.jpg (179.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9490.jpg (92.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9491.jpg (96.4 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by AIRJ23; 09-06-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:27 AM   #108
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Graphics comparison: 2K23 vs 2K25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRJ23
Well, 2K24 is pretty widely considered the worst looking of the current gen, and that’s the game people are acclimated to and comparing to 2K25. So of course 25 will have a walk in the park there.

I’d wager if you showed the pics in this thread of 23 vs 25 courts to regular people with no labels on said pics, the vast majority would pick 23 based on those pics.

That aside, as I don’t have a huge beef with 25’s court reflections (textures look lo fi, crowd too dark, lakers wood too pale and non defined textures, those are my beefs), I just know that comparing it to 2K24 is like choosing to play Bronny James 1v1 instead of LeBron.

I think 25 looks good actually. But I want to see how good. And whether 21, 22, or 23 is the best looking of the current gen before 25 came out (I think 23 looks better than 21 and 22 easily), they all look better than 24, which is the point.

I know everyone hates me for not just jumping on the “it looks so good” bandwagon without visual comparisons to 2K23 or anything pre-24. But I was dogging 24’s graphics a year ago as horrifying, and all of a sudden, whaddaya know, now that 25 came out, all those who didn’t want to admit just how bad 24 looked, are now all over message boards and social media saying how bad 24 looks, “looks like a mobile game,” “I had no idea it looked this bad” clearly it’s seen as the worst looking of the bunch.

Which is the reason I want to see 2K really showcase how good the new graphics are with a real comparison. Not by getting bonus points cause it looks so much better than a game they put out that looked worse than the game it itself replaced.
I don’t think anyone hates you or cares if you join any bandwagons man, it’s just gotten to the point where you’re dragging the topic out. It’s like when you were going on for weeks about how the Bulls red wasn’t accurate in 23 vs. 22 and even going so far to suggest that 2K was adjusting it per video they dropped, lol. These rabbit holes are cool, buts it’s not quite for everyone.

As far as others opinions. If the consensus here was that ‘25 looked horrible, would you still be asking for comparisons? It’s a confirmation bias thing. This forum hasn’t ever held back on speaking about graphics, a case study isn’t required because they aren’t saying what you expected. People have eyes, memory, and perception just like you do. I promise you people here have the capacity to to conclude that 2K25 does something better than 24, but it’s not quite how they liked it in in ‘20. It happens every day here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 09-06-2024 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:30 AM   #109
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

2k24 most likely took a step back graphically due to proplay addition honestly. We now have the PS5 Pro coming so that should help out a lot

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 09-06-2024, 08:35 AM   #110
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I don’t think anyone hates you or cares if you join any bandwagons man, it’s just gotten to the point where you’re dragging the topic out. It’s like when you were going on for weeks about how the Bulls red wasn’t accurate in 23 vs. 22 and even going so far to suggest that 2K was adjusting it per video they dropped, lol. These rabbit holes are cool, buts it’s not quite for leveryone.

As far as others opinions. If the consensus here was that ‘25 looked horrible, would you still be asking for comparisons? It’s a confirmation bias thing. This forum hasn’t ever held back on speaking about graphics, a case study isn’t required because they aren’t saying what you expected. People have eyes, memory, and perception just like you do. I promise you people here have the capacity to to conclude that 2K25 does something better than 24, but it’s not quite how they liked it in in ‘20. It happens every day here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m pretty sure it was 21 who’s Bulls red I thought wasn’t accurate lol. But 22 did have good coloring.

All I’m saying is, I know 25 looks good. But 24 is an artificially low bar to make anything look good next to it (look at the screenshots above vs 23).

Do I think 25 can look better than 23? Absolutely. Do I think it DOES look better than 23? I don’t know about that yet, which is why I wish there were detailed comparisons of various in game footage (which I can’t do yet).

Call it a conspiracy, call it assuming people who played 24 for a year and haven’t booted up 23 side by side with 25 maybe forget how 23 just may still be the best overall looking of the current gen. But I just have a feeling if we saw multiple comparisons of 25 vs 23, it would be a close call.
Old 09-06-2024, 08:45 AM   #111
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

Honestly 2k23 doesn't compare to 2k25 PC visually or from a gameplay perspective.

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2024, 09:18 AM   #112
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49UNCFan
Honestly 2k23 doesn't compare to 2k25 PC visually or from a gameplay perspective.
I agree with this. The lighting in 2k23 was good. But, 2k25 is a visual upgrade from any other 2k game that's been made in my opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »