Home

NBA 2K14 Next-Gen Review (IGN)

This is a discussion on NBA 2K14 Next-Gen Review (IGN) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #73
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: NBA 2K14 Next-Gen Review (IGN)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I actually thought it was a fair and honest review....at the very least the guys a fan of basketball/ basketball video games...

At least it's not Gamespot, where the guy is saying "I admittedly don't know much about hoops" during the review...
Agreed . I don't see the problem with the review.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #74
MVP

KyotoCarl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: So An Improved, Deeper Game Goes From 9.3 to 8.9?

Well, modes were taken out and it's the first 2K title on NG, they can't really give it much higher. 8.9 is still "great", according to IGN.

Also, this is IGN, I'd look out for Metacritic's score instead after release. Or better yet, form your own opinion.

To be fair, CG's 9.3 rating was a bit high to begin with.

I'd give the games, based on IGN and my own opinions;
CG: 8.9
NG: 9.1

My thoughts on how replays should be handled:
http://www.operationsports.com/Kyoto...plays-replays/
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #75
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I was just going to make a post about this. What, in the world, has been going on with their dunking sound effects? I've always wondered where those sounds were initially captured and how members of the audio team felt about them. Did they feel they nailed it? Or were they just settling? It's most definitely a small thing that can add up to a big thing for me.

It's becoming more and more likely with each passing day that I'll be passing on the next gen title release, but I think I'm more interested in what 2K15 will look like next gen than 2K14. I'm wondering if the further shift in focus (from current to next gen) will lead to a lot of those long-standing small, annoying missed details being fixed up a little (like the aforementioned rim sounds, less glitchy spasms, etc.). Right now, it still seems to look a little too similar to the next gen experience to get me really, really excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yungflo
It sounds like the garbage truck when its compressing garbage. I've always hated it and surprised its never been fixed. I also hated the artificial crowd noise, especially the one whistling fan in the crowd all the time. NBA crowds don't have that whistling. its not a concert or a hot chick performing, its a game
VD I think it might be enough there to get you excited, and lets also see what they can fix via patch as well but anyway.

Like I said, its time to start a huge thread on the sound because its not matching up with the visuals and gameplay in crucial areas like that. I know LeBron is strong but my lord, the entire backboard rim and everything shakes together and the sound just what makes it seem like a weird experience.

Anyway, where are the gifs, there were some masterful moves in there

Kobe
Paul George
LeBron
and more
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #76
MVP

OVR: 15

If 2k Shows another hoop screenshot, you know what to do next year. Call them out on it. This gen of sports game has TERRIBLE marketing. We should demand more. If they hide like they have been hiding this year, next year then there is no reason to invest in it. Playing like CG is fine for a first year iteration, but as we move forward, it must evolve...DRAMATICALLY. People that suffer from 2k fatigue will skip this game and maybe give the competition a chance. No worries there, but that game has to step it up as well.

The months and weeks leading up to this game, have been unmatched. The potential for this game was high! but it undelivered in terms of translating it into gameplay. But that's a good thing about potential, it puts the idea in your head and there is a strong possibility of executing the idea.

I'm glad it came back down to earth. I was tired of the fanboys religiously defending this game, their marketing, and saying otherwise ridiculous comments to justify their purchase or ridicule the logic of a person that questions the gameplay.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:49 AM   #77
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I actually thought it was a fair and honest review....at the very least the guys a fan of basketball/ basketball video games...

At least it's not Gamespot, where the guy is saying "I admittedly don't know much about hoops" during the review...
Sure, it was a decent review. I'm not complaining about an 8.9 score. I'm just saying that I don't believe people should base their purchase off of review sites such as IGN/Gamespot.

But yeah, that was pathetic.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #78
Pro

CaCHooKa Man's Arena

OVR: 6

And the next gen version of FIFA 14 got 9.1 lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #79
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyotoCarl
Well, modes were taken out and it's the first 2K title on NG, they can't really give it much higher. 8.9 is still "great", according to IGN.

Also, this is IGN, I'd look out for Metacritic's score instead after release. Or better yet, form your own opinion.

To be fair, CG's 9.3 rating was a bit high to begin with.

I'd give the games, based on IGN and my own opinions;
CG: 8.9
NG: 9.1
That is extremely fair and I would tend to agree with almost everything you said.

However about modes being taken out,

Modes were also added.
  • The Park replaces Crew
  • MyGM replaces Association
  • MyCareer is overhauled
  • The only mode missing is LBJ Mode
Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 AM   #80
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGetta408
Y'know, I'm not knocking IGN on giving next gen an 8.9, because that's still a great score, but I wouldn't base my purchase over an IGN/Gamespot/GameTrailers, etc review. I just don't think the majority of those reviewers are very accurate when it comes to reviewing sports games. That's just my opinion.

I'm pretty sure that same guy that did this review also did the IGN rewind for the trailer 2K put out a month ago, and I forgot exactly what he said, but he made a blatant mistake that proved he didn't know much about basketball.

With that said, Friday can't come soon enough.
Trust me, OS score is not going to be any higher. The 8.9 was gracious. I expect it to mirror what it got for current gen

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »