Home

Your favorite and least favorite things about 2k14

This is a discussion on Your favorite and least favorite things about 2k14 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Your favorite and least favorite things about 2k14

I'll get the negatives out of the way for me:

1. Rebounding still needs a lot of work. It feels kind of different, but players also feel extremely slow and often go into the wrong kind of animation for a rebound. For example, i had bosh get out rebounded by a point guard even though he was in better position, because he went into some dumb looking animation and liked barely reached for the ball, and reached the wrong way too. It's like there's a delay in the reaction between when you hit the jump button and when they actually jump, plus they react very slowly for no reason at times.

2. Teammate AI is still wonky. Players will sag off their man for no reason despite him being a 3 point threat, no matter what defensive settings i use. Players don't react as well to loose balls at times.

3. Loose balls, still have a lot of issues. Whether it's players going into some canned animation when the ball is tipped loose and looking the other way despite me moving them towards the ball, or just not being able to pick the damn ball up at times(i've literally had times where i tip a ball and i just walk right over it without grabbing it and the computer just picks it up).

4. Association is gone, enough said. Terrible decision, won't be surprised if they try to bring it back as DLC like they did with the dunk contest.

5. My player mode movie wannabe. It's still largely the same mode, but because they decided to tack on a cliche cheesy story(like fight night champion did), there are some scripted events that are annoying and realistic. Like despite being a first round draft pick i don't see any minutes until a player gets injured on the depleted Jazz? Really? Or my rival who plays the same position going ahead of me in the draft despite me being undeniably better(18 points 10 assist 50% FG, 2 Turnorvers vs his like 4 points and no assist in the rookie showcase) because they have to make it so you don't like him because he always one ups you or something? I get it he's my rival, but calm down. Seriously, don't sacrifice realism for cutscenes and a generic story please.

The positives:

1. Obviously, the graphics look amazing. There's no denying this, it's fact. The game is gorgeous and it really can immerse you.

2. Smoother animations(Especially on layups) and gameplay feel. The animations are a lot smoother, there's still some annoying canned ones. But things flow a lot better, I especially love how they actually do layups and go up like real basketball players do, none of that choppy change into some unnecessary double clutch layup for no reason nonsense that used to happen all the time. Also the way player move, really really feels good. I can really feel a difference between slower/faster and bigger/smaller players. You can kind of feel their weight, as weird as that sounds. Previous 2k's kind of tried to do this, but i feel like i can really tell a difference here.

3. Not a dunkfest anymore! Many times in the past, 2k has exaggerated on the dunks and that made them kinda cheesy to me, especially dunks in the paint. But now players only dunk in certain scenarios and don't try to dunk all the time. Don't get me wrong you can still posterize people on occasion. But now i see more variety, compared to last year where pretty much everyone was doing standing dunks in the paint all the time and i could easily dunk around people or in traffic with chalmers. Now i'm seeing more bigs do simple layups off the glass in the paint, and sometimes do standing dunks, and chalmers is mostly doing layups, like he should be.

4. Attention to detail(player voices, faces etc.) 2k killed this hands down. I love that they have the actual voices in the game and that was a nice touch. And the way players react to things is great too, i love seeing them get hyped up after they hit a big shot(as i get hyped up too lol). Granted, sometimes they get too hyped over some small things(don't know why lebron is screaming after hitting a 3 when we're up by like 15 lol). But overall, this is amazing, they did a great job on this.

5. Ball physics are better. In 2k14 and 2k12 on last gen, the ball is constantly knocked out of people's hands in stupid ways that rarely happen in the NBA or basketball in general, like i could just run into the ball while someone's dribbling and knock it loose with my leg or torso or head even. It was just dumb, that doesn't happen as much. The ball does react, but you rarely see those kind of things happening. I usually only see that happen when someone is trying to do dribble moves in a lot of traffic. Occasionally on blocks you'll see the ball get knocked out too easily. But for the most part they've improved this. Which is awesome.

Last edited by SPRINGS03; 11-17-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Your favorite and least favorite things about 2k14

Favorite:
1. The graphics - The game looks great on the court.

Least Favorite
1. You can't save a custom roster to your hard-drive. You're have to upload rosters on the 2K server and have to download it every time you want to use it. If the servers are down or u don't have internet, you're plum out of luck.

2. You can't play MyGM offline

3. MyGM trade logic is still poor, only now you can't fix bad CPU trades with a trade over-ride

4. You can't disallow CPU trades in MyGM

5. You can't start Season from Today in MyGM or Season

6. VC forced into MyGM mode and is needed to accomplish basic Association tasks you've always been able to do for free. This is clearly to entice you to spend more $$ buying VC after you just paid $60 for the game.

7. No control over Auto-Save - You can't quit and reload from a desired point in MyGM. It saves your simulation automatically on the first try.

Last edited by game385; 11-17-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Rookie

Momentum. I'm sick and tired of it. Every online game I've played I have been a victim to it. Up all game, running plays, making open shots. Fourth quarter hits and I'm colder than a polar bear's toe nails. And I don't want to hear **** about calling time-outs and making smart choices cause that's irrelevant. That is exactly what I did the entire game to get the lead in the first place. The game is great, but I'm tired of the game playing me instead of the reverse.
My fav is pretty much everything else.

Last edited by bumpyface; 11-17-2013 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #4
MVP

^I always thought momentum was only used for rubberband AI. Not actual players.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 11

1. I love the park mode
2. Its extremely glitchy and near impossible to play.
WARRIORS - STEPH CURRY #30

GIANTS - BUSTER POSEY #28

49ERS - PATRICK WILLIS #52

THUNDER - KEVIN DURANT #35

BRONCOS - PEYTON MANNING #18

Bay Area Sports Fan FOR LIFE!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #6
MVP

^I haven't managed to get one game in park, figure the servers would be pretty overloaded now.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
Rookie

RevivedZack's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpyface
Momentum. I'm sick and tired of it. Every online game I've played I have been a victim to it. Up all game, running plays, making open shots. Fourth quarter hits and I'm colder than a polar bear's toe nails. And I don't want to hear **** about calling time-outs and making smart choices cause that's irrelevant. That is exactly what I did the entire game to get the lead in the first place. The game is great, but I'm tired of the game playing me instead of the reverse.
My fav is pretty much everything else.
Still the biggest issue with 2k. Almost makes you not want to try for the majority of the game.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23

My only negative Gameplay wise is that they changed the controls again. Last year on current gen it was hold the left trigger down for shots. Now thats gone and I don't like that dribbing & shooting are all done together. Other than that the gameplay is fun, its great, looks amazing.

My gripe with this game is the menus and the lack of customization and control. I can only play as my team in Season Mode, can't even play the computer games so I won't get to try playing as all the teams since I can only use 1. Can't even change the uniforms of my opponent so secondary uniforms are a waste. Shoe editing is a cluster you know what.

They seriously need to patch things in with the editing & at least allowing us to play the computer's games in a Season.

I know next year all this stuff will be back because there have been far too many complaints for them to ignore it but it sucks that this is the best playing game with the worst non gameplay stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »