Home

The VC slider: a methapor

This is a discussion on The VC slider: a methapor within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8
The VC slider: a methapor

Let me clarify this: this post is not about 2k to introduce a slider controlling the amount of VC used in the game

Yet VC could be an issue for many people, especially when you are somewhat forced to spend real money in order to enjoy some features/game modes

I'm using the "slider", a very familiar concept to us and clearly 2k, as an example to discuss how VC were/are/could/should be implemented in the game.

So imagine this VC slider, ranging from 0 to 100, where the main marks are:
- 0, meaning no VC at all
- 25: VC used in about half of the game modes, but no actual need to spend real money
- 50: VC used in all the game modes, but no actual need to spend real money
- 75: VC used in all the game modes and actual need to spend real money in half of the game modes
- 100: VC used in all the game modes and actual need to spend real money all of them

According to this scale, I would put 2k titles as follows:
- all 2k titles until 2k12: 0. No explanation needed
- 2k13: somewhere between the 25 and 50 mark. You hade some major modes that were VC free (Association, Season, Playoff) and you didn't really need to spend real money. MyTeam packs were not so expensive and you could buy players on the market. MyPlayer was self-sustainable and you had some basic clothes (includinhg Jordan kicks) free for Blacktop mode. Last but not least, VC glitch
- CG 2k14: somewhere around the 60 mark. Still game modes VC free, but you could hardly play MyTeam without spending real money given the increase of packs cost and the removal of the market
- NG 2k14: somewhere around the 70 mark. No VC free game modes. You can hardly play MyTeam without spending real money and no free accessories/kicks for your MyPlayer in the Park
- NG 2k15: I hope that it will be around the 50 mark. For those who want to progress faster in MyGM, MyPlayer, MyTeam or want to buy a lot of accessories/kicks for MyPlayer, you will have the option to spend real money for extra VC. At the same time, I want the possibility to enjoy all the modes without being frustrated if I don't spend real money

What's your opinion about that?

Last edited by franzis; 11-21-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-21-2013, 06:11 AM   #2
Rookie

silverskier's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: The VC slider: a methapor

The direction of this game, right now, seems to be oriented to put VC's everywhere. I wish VC's were only for things that 2ksports have purchased as an extra, like some licenses. But the fact that they are increasing the use of VC's in the game, and that all the modes that requires VC are the only ones that they are giving attention, is just sad
Old 11-21-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
Rookie

justcallmedaddy's Arena

OVR: 1

I haven't spent a dime other than the 65$ I spent on the actual game and I'm having a great time. Obviously it's probably different for me, since I don't really enjoy the My Team game mode (even though I do enjoy the Ultimate Teams in EA titles).

I do wish they'd allow us to have a regular association mode that doesn't involve spending VC on anything, it's kind of stupid that I have to spend 500 VC just to unlock the ability to freaking adjust my lineup. I haven't made another MyGM save so I don't know if this is true, but if you have to spend 500 VC to unlock lineup changes every new My GM that would really suck. I like to do quite a bit of fantasy draft franchises, I don't know why, but I enjoy making multiple ones, and I really don't want to have to spend 500 VC to do anything with the team I draft.

I really don't mind VC in MyCareer, I do wish they would let us choose our damn accessories instead of having to buy EVERYTHING that you want to wear, if the accessory gives you an upgrade, then yeah you should spend VC on it, but why should I spend VC on freaking glasses and rubberbands? If I were 2K I'd make all accessories have an "upgraded" version where it gives you +5 this or +5 that and you have to spend VC on that, but it's free without upgrades. Or maybe whatever accessory is free, but you can put whatever upgrade you'd like on it, but the cost varies by what you want to put on it. For example, 500 VC for +5 quickness but 1000 VC for +10 speed. Or maybe they could make challenges for each accessory upgrade, like "score 10 in a game for +1 mid shooting, score 20 in a game for +5 mid shooting, score 30 in a game for +10 mid shooting, score 40 in a game for +20 mid shooting" etc. I just don't like having to spend VC on something that every NBA player has the luxury of wearing without spending a dime.
NCAA FB:Notre Dame
NCAA BB:Notre Dame

Last edited by justcallmedaddy; 11-21-2013 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 8

C'mon
Give some love to my slider example!
Do you agree with it?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »