Home

Coach2K's Rookie Challenge

This is a discussion on Coach2K's Rookie Challenge within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #17
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: Coach2K's Rookie Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
Notice the Knicks at the bottom. But they freestyle all game
You notice when they do actually pass the ball around they look great don't they?

They start the season off that way then go away from it and end up with all kinds of drama.

Just from watching them Ive noticed that, and also that they tend to shoot alot of 3s even when they stop making them.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #18
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You notice when they do actually pass the ball around they look great don't they?

They start the season off that way then go away from it and end up with all kinds of drama.

Just from watching them Ive noticed that, and also that they tend to shoot alot of 3s even when they stop making them.
But if we're staying true to their playstyle it would be too freestyle. Honestly over dribbling and too much 1 on 1 is the reason Knicks are at the bottom. Spurs run plays but their offense is towards the top.

This is if you're suggesting running plays =slow offense. Free styling =fast pace. Either way I agree stay true to the teams identity.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

Last edited by Rockie_Fresh88; 01-12-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #19
Rookie

HarrySTruman's Arena

OVR: 0

This is a very nice idea. What mode are you playing in -- Quick Games? I'm tempted to apply your methodology to my ongoing season in MyGM mode, in which I've been playing the Celtics at Pro level, and I'm now starting to think about moving up in difficulty.

I really wish I could apply your method to MyTEAM, which I find very challenging. The best I've done is 68 points in the 6-minute quarters in that mode, which seems to be on All-Star or harder. But there's no offline practice mode, no way to practice plays, no way to scrimmage, no way to vary difficulty levels.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more about how you use each player at each position.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #20
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

So in this game I spent it working mainly on the PG spot. I tried to score or assist with either Hill or Watson on every possession. My goal was to get 40 and 15 with Hill and I came close to that. Hill shot 2-7 from three and Watson turned it over 4 times which was a bit much.

In order to work the point guard spot, I did one of two things. I first cycled through and called nearly every play for the point guard and second if there wasn't time, I worked on pick and rolls with a big.

The end result was fewer turnovers at 7, less points, a lower field goal percentage by the CPU at 37 percent. Time of possession was 5 minutes in my favor which I always like to see.

I could spend more time working on the point guard spot. But at this point, I'm going to move to shooting guard. I'll do the same thing. I'll call all the plays for the SG and then work on pick and rolls and of course freelance where appropriate.

What this does it get you familiar with your playbook. I just start at the top and call the first one. Next trip down the second and so on.

I start with the default playbook.

In the process, you get familiar with what a specific player can and cannot do. I'll need to dig deeper into ratings and tendencies (because that's important) but I'll do that a bit later. And eventually work on defense remember. Offense is first.

One of the reasons I had fewer turnovers is because I called plays 2/3 of the of the game and it spaces the floor better.

You can probably guess that after I work on shooting guard, I'll work on the small forward, power forward and center.

Here's the box. I'm going to live stream one more game tonight.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I watched Coach2k stream a couple of games last night.

One thing I tried to remind him because of the team he's using is to run a bunch of plays instead of running up the court and freestyling an offense just because he has good players on the roster.

I tried this strategy using Memphis vs OKC because the paces are starkly different. The Pacers have the 8th slowest pace in the NBA meaning less possessions and so their offense is a bit more patient, which is why I told him to walk it up a bit and call plays.

When I used Memphis they are #30 in pace, I called a play almost everytime up court being in OKC and ended up winning because I stayed to the teams style of play.

You can check ESPN here to see who likes to run or push the ball up and who doesn't.

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...ort/paceFactor
PACE: Pace Factor - the number of possessions a team uses per game.
[/b]
Another good resource is the stats of course and http://82games.com

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #22
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
But if we're staying true to their playstyle it would be too freestyle. Honestly over dribbling and too much 1 on 1 is the reason Knicks are at the bottom. Spurs run plays but their offense is towards the top.

This is if you're suggesting running plays =slow offense. Free styling =fast pace. Either way I agree stay true to the teams identity.

Freestyle is not the knicks offense man and it's not about fast or slow. It's about where they are with the number of possessions per game and how they got there. Some teams rebound well and therefore they get more possessions.

Just study the page for awhile

Galaxy Note 2
Old 01-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #23
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrySTruman
This is a very nice idea. What mode are you playing in -- Quick Games? I'm tempted to apply your methodology to my ongoing season in MyGM mode, in which I've been playing the Celtics at Pro level, and I'm now starting to think about moving up in difficulty.

I really wish I could apply your method to MyTEAM, which I find very challenging. The best I've done is 68 points in the 6-minute quarters in that mode, which seems to be on All-Star or harder. But there's no offline practice mode, no way to practice plays, no way to scrimmage, no way to vary difficulty levels.

Anyway, I look forward to reading more about how you use each player at each position.
Just quick game.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #24
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Freestyle is not the knicks offense man and it's not about fast or slow. It's about where they are with the number of possessions per game and how they got there. Some teams rebound well and therefore they get more possessions.

Just study the page for awhile

Galaxy Note 2
Ok you're right
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »