Home

Using 1 on 1 Blacktop To Discover Defensive Flaws Or Improvements (Findings)

This is a discussion on Using 1 on 1 Blacktop To Discover Defensive Flaws Or Improvements (Findings) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Using 1 on 1 Blacktop To Discover Defensive Flaws Or Improvements (Findings)

As we all should know playing 1 on 1 in blacktop is the best way to learn how to play the game by testing most of what training camp teaches you and it is the best mode in my opinion to test out defensive strategy and offensive strategy as far as the one on one match ups in a game.

This has nothing to do with team play but the one on one game within the game.

I played quite a few games back to back good defensive players against bad defensive ones, tall vs short LOL, strong vs weak, etc. I tried to find every mix I could think of.

Before I state what I found Im telling you right now I found more negative than positive so if you think constructive criticism is complaining and you dont like complaing skip this one.Now im still testing on the online settings which are superstar sim mind you.

Anyway this is what my findings are:

- You cannot switch between stances as quickly enough for it to even be useful in game situations and sometimes it doesnt even respond.

- Manual D 0 defensive assist is more effective in my op test it for yourself.

- sometimes when trying to play tight d an animation will trigger where its like you bounce off the ball handler for no reason giving them space, mostly when a player pump fakes so its more effective to jump contest off pump fake shots to effect a shot b/c the contact animation on regular contests will have them make more than miss on just contesting without jumping smh(one on one situations anyway).

- having a good defender has nothing to do with being able to stay in front of a guy b/c thats more quickness based. However I found that they are more effective contesting shots and causing misses, and forcing ball handlers to pick up their dribble. Bad defensive players can play good defense but will have shots made in their face contesting and it will be equivalent to a good defender just standing in their face without contesting.

- Everybody knows the rebounding and loose ball logic is terrible where guys are sometimes oblivious to where the ball is and jumping to rebound just air.

- Its safer to reach or swipe at the ball when you are backing up on d so dont lunge forward into it.

- (Offensive tip) dont try to go around big men all time just b/c you feel like you have the way faster player b/c thats not going to work as much as you think, instead take advantage of their slow quickness b/c creating space for a shot is way easier.

You may have found things different or not the same but thats where we can help each other the best we can b/c d is screwed and every little strategy helps. Plus it will help us better point out flaws 2k should fix.

For the record tho playing good perimeter d in this game is not going to be rewarded as much as it should. there's to many instances in game situations where the offense gets rewarded and bailed out with a shooting foul call or some other bs like those stupid kick balls or a crowded part of the court due to poor spacing that throws you into these crazy bumping animations with other players when your trying to play d.

All in all you want to stay up in that moderate to sag off area until you feel like they are going to shoot then TAP the jump button or you can contest but for me jumping or slightly leaving the ground is more effective on shots especially good shooters. actually sometimes you can do both contest into a manual jump.

I try to completely shut mufs down

Im still testing different varieties like bad off hand dribblers vs good steal rating players.

peace

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 01-18-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #2
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Using 1 on 1 Blacktop To Discover Defensive Flaws Or Improvements (Findings)

it is interesting about the manual D 0 assist help. but i am just wondering if it would still be better to have contest help set to always as a center for example. because you are always defending below the basket so always just having the character hold his hands up would be better off than trying to always jump and block or just swiping as the guy working toward the hoop.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Using 1 on 1 Blacktop To Discover Defensive Flaws Or Improvements (Findings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycecg
it is interesting about the manual D 0 assist help. but i am just wondering if it would still be better to have contest help set to always as a center for example. because you are always defending below the basket so always just having the character hold his hands up would be better off than trying to always jump and block or just swiping as the guy working toward the hoop.
The manual d 0 help assist was actually a secret of mine but its like this.
When you set contest to always and d assist to 100 your still not going to get the contest animation even if its set to always contest, test it for your self. Even then its like the auto contest throws you out of position sometimes and you end up contesting to where its not even effecting the shot as much.

You have to set def assist to a certain level to even get them to auto contest a little more.

What I've experienced in playing the game is that they will STILL contest automatically with it set to manual def assist 0 more than often or ALMOST just as much when its set to auto contest always with 100 def assist b/c even with the considered high setting their still not going to auto contest always. Plus I like having that freedom of movement on contests and footwork.

Why do I jump? Well jump contests are better than just holding a hand up and like I say I try to shut mufs down but by tapping the jump button I've found that its more of like a quick jump contest which means they dont jump as high and you can recover a little better.

Contesting in the paint gives you the contact animation and what im saying is it doesnt matter what contest or def assist settings you have in the paint if your in position its going to give you the contact animation but that doesnt always mean that its good D necessarily.

I say that b/c alot of times even if you get contact it doesnt mean they are going to miss especially in one on one situations UNLESS you jump contest in which will make them miss more often then regular contesting. I really wish we could go up with two hands b/c when you watch roy hibbert he's seven foot so he doesnt have to jump as much which gives him more time to recover.

Just do this right, if you have two controllers test it out by playing one on one to see what kind of jumpshot feedback you get and it will show you what I mean. Its just all about timing and position, but im sure you will see that jump contesting is more effective in forcing a miss then just contesting. Dont take my word for it you have to test it out yourself dude.

Last edited by DatGD12guage; 01-19-2014 at 03:02 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »