Home

Help Defense

This is a discussion on Help Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Help Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluteme757
Knowing your team and picking up on the offenses tendencies to take the play away is more important than just being on or offball. The fact that you know your teammates are helping fast should either make you adjust how much space you give the ballhandler or make you decide to play the help instead of the ball. You are essentially trying to make the game play the way you want it to instead of playing along with the game. Know your players capabilities on defense and adjust to your opponent. Its a team sport not a one on one game and when you stay either all onball or offball thats what you are making it. Defend the play more then you defend the ball is my solution.
No offense to you bro, but I'm just sick of tired of hearing people give 10000 reasons why they can't play on ball 100%. When I do it every game. Effectively too. I've won 73% of my games online against the worse players in the world using the Bobcats, Wizards and Cavs. And it's very unlikely I could have done that without good defense. Or some cheap cheesy tatic.

And its not about one on one ball. It's ball respect and skill. Period. Everything else is an excuse. If I'm playing you, I want to play you, and not the computer. There is no reason to play off ball.

When teams run a screen, the screens are not always successful. And when they are, I live with it. Sometimes I switch in time to stop it, times I don't. Sometimes the CPU gets a steal without even asking for help. ( And I dare someone say the CPU has never got a steal or a block for you!) But one thing I don't do, is go and cry, whine and switch players because the team ran a play. When the sole purpose of a play is to screen the defender to free his teammate up for an open shot. Am I right or wrong? The play work sometimes, and times they don't. Rather you see it coming or not. But on a video game, from your birds eye view people see it, and automatically want to cheat, and jump the play.

So if they're jumping plays, what is the purpose of running a play? Especially if people are going to jump it. In real life, plays are ran, players stick with their man. And professional civilized game of basketball is played.

I could go on and on. But I play on ball 100, win 100 and lose 100. It's all me baby. But to each's own. If you need help, then so be it. I don't. Oh and I've played you before, back on 360 a while back.

Last edited by smuhead; 02-08-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 AM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuhead
No offense to you bro, but I'm just sick of tired of hearing people give 10000 reasons why they can't play on ball 100%. When I do it every game. Effectively too. I've won 73% of my games online against the worse players in the world using the Bobcats, Wizards and Cavs. And it's very unlikely I could have done that without good defense. Or some cheap cheesy tatic.

And its not about one on one ball. It's ball respect and skill. Period. Everything else is an excuse. If I'm playing you, I want to play you, and not the computer. There is no reason to play off ball.

When teams run a screen, the screens are not always successful. And when they are, I live with it. Sometimes I switch in time to stop it, times I don't. Sometimes the CPU gets a steal without even asking for help. ( And I dare someone say the CPU has never got a steal or a block for you!) But one thing I don't do, is go and cry, whine and switch players because the team ran a play. When the sole purpose of a play is to screen the defender to free his teammate up for an open shot. Am I right or wrong? The play work sometimes, and times they don't. Rather you see it coming or not. But on a video game, from your birds eye view people see it, and automatically want to cheat, and jump the play.

So if they're jumping plays, what is the purpose of running a play? Especially if people are going to jump it. In real life, plays are ran, players stick with their man. And professional civilized game of basketball is played.

I could go on and on. But I play on ball 100, win 100 and lose 100. It's all me baby. But to each's own. If you need help, then so be it. I don't. Oh and I've played you before, back on 360 a while back.
Stop worryin bout what everybody else play and worry bout u. On next gen u cant tell when someone is playing off ball or not because there is no indicator. I switch between on ball and off ball but im sick of bums like u who think that playing on ball all game is the ONLY way you SHOULD play 2k. Its like me playing madden and i get mad at people who blitz every down when i dont. At the end of the day its a VIDEOGAME and its up to each person how they choose to play it. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Anyone know how to turn down or turn off help defense. The defense in the game is horrible. You have no control over help defense. Half the time my guys seem lost. More then half the points I give up are blown assignments, with my guys coming to help when I don't want it.

Please help, if you know something I don't.
In your op you stated you have no control over help defense when the reality of it is you do. You play the help. I stated I play onball and I also play it effectively. If I'm getting to much help that I dont want I have to adjust. To say there is no excuse to go offball and post that the cpu helps when you don't want it sounds like reason enough to me. The fact that you look for who your opponent is guarding instead of the best scoring opportunity is just another excuse to me to complain when things dont go your way. I was the exact same way just last year until I realized I have the advantage on offense period. This year the game is more offensively driven than ever with less defensive settings to help you. Not to mention that on the virtual hardwood there is no communication which is the key to good team defense. If 100% onball with no one behind you talking sounds sim to you to each his own.

When I say "defend a play" I dont mean try and jump the play. What I mean is put your teammates in a better position to make a play. Obviously when you think of offball the only thing you think of is the cheesy tactics you see in quick matches. No matter where I am on the floor you are playing me and offball is a lot easier to get caught out of position than playing onball which is why I do stay in front of the ball the majority of the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 100% on or offball defense if thats what you want to play but dont say you dont have control over a player doing something when all it takes is for you to click on that player.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:54 AM   #28
Rookie

Quote:

If you need help, then so be it. I don't. Oh and I've played you before, back on 360 a while back.
If you're on X1 we can play so I can show you what I mean if your ego isn't in the way and maybe you can get up to 80% without cheesy tactics. The one player you control on the floor dictates your entire defense and you really wouldn't understand unless I show you.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #29
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggyme1
Stop worryin bout what everybody else play and worry bout u. On next gen u cant tell when someone is playing off ball or not because there is no indicator. I switch between on ball and off ball but im sick of bums like u who think that playing on ball all game is the ONLY way you SHOULD play 2k. Its like me playing madden and i get mad at people who blitz every down when i dont. At the end of the day its a VIDEOGAME and its up to each person how they choose to play it. Thanks.
What the hell are you talking about? I don't worry about anyone and how they play. I clearly said to "each's its own" in my reply. And my entire reply was in reponse to Salute757 post. So the name calling was clearly inappropriate. I never said anyone who choose to play off ball was bad players. They're just not goodl (lol). Play the game however you want.

But you took offense because it's likely you suck, and need all the help you can get (lol). That's why YOU play on and off.

At the end of the day, YES it is a video game. It's a video game in the morning, a video game at noon, a video game in the evening, even at dinner time. What's your point? Is that what you tell yourself to feel better after losing? Or do you tell yourself that to justify the way you play?

If the developers wanted to treat this just as a video game, do you think they would create the game in so much detail. Do you think they spent countless hours gathering statistics in tendacies, hot zones etc? Players look so real, all the way down to their tattoos and accessories. Do you think the developers had in my mind just to create a basic video game? I think not.

2K is so successful because it emulates real basketball. Through detail and any other aspect of realism that comes with playing basketball. So while it is just a video game, through my experience, the best players are the ones who don't just play a video game. The best players are those who play real basketball through a video game. The way the developers intended.

Last edited by smuhead; 02-09-2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
In your op you stated you have no control over help defense when the reality of it is you do. You play the help. I stated I play onball and I also play it effectively. If I'm getting to much help that I dont want I have to adjust. To say there is no excuse to go offball and post that the cpu helps when you don't want it sounds like reason enough to me. The fact that you look for who your opponent is guarding instead of the best scoring opportunity is just another excuse to me to complain when things dont go your way.
Ok, let me say this one more time. If I say I play on ball 100%, I don't call a double team, I turn off everything on Point Of Emphasis. And they're still coming over to help, please tell me how do I control help defense? Please. You don't seem to be listening.

They took away the defensive options to tell my players to stay on their man. So please tell me how you're telling your guys to stop coming to help without you switching. And if your answer IS to play off ball, then shut up, you don't have an answer for me.

AND.....when I play rank matches, I play strictly to practice my on ball defense for real ballers. I don't look or expect these cheesy, casual players to play on ball. Especially when I know they don't care too and I see when they are playing off. So no one is throwing any temper tatrums "when thing don't go your way." The only thing I complained about, (if you read my initial post) was HOW TO STOP OR TURN DOWN HELP DEFENSE. Instead I get attacked because I said I play on ball defense. lol

Quote:
If you're on X1 we can play so I can show you what I mean if your ego isn't in the way and maybe you can get up to 80% without cheesy tactics. The one player you control on the floor dictates your entire defense and you really wouldn't understand unless I show you.
Dude, You can't show me anything. I quit more then half the games I lost online because some people are unbearable to play. So 73% is really inaccurate. But if you're winning 80% of your games playing off ball. Then you're actually winning 40%, the computer get the other 40 lol. And like I said, I played you before, you weren't good then, and I don't think you are now. And yes I'm on Xbox One.

Last edited by smuhead; 02-09-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 AM   #31
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Ok, let me say this one more time. If I say I play on ball 100%, I don't call a double team, I turn off everything on Point Of Emphasis. And they're still coming over to help, please tell me how do I control help defense? Please. You don't seem to be listening.

They took away the defensive options to tell my players to stay on their man. So please tell me how you're telling your guys to stop coming to help without you switching. And if your answer IS to play off ball, then shut up, you don't have an answer for me.

AND.....when I play rank matches, I play strictly to practice my on ball defense for real ballers. I don't look or expect these cheesy, casual players to play on ball. Especially I know when they are playing off. So no one is throwing any temper tatrums "when thing don't go your way."
What team you using? And when you say they are helping are they doubling or just sagging off the perimeter on penetration?

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 02-09-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
What team you using? And when you say they are helping are they doubling or just sagging off the perimeter on penetration?
I've been using the Bobcats lately. But it's been an issue I've had with every team I used. The Wizards, Cavs, Blazers, all of them.

No they're not sagging off or doubling on their own. They're coming over to help the moment your man get one step away from you. Completely leaving their man in times that's totally unnecessary.

Last edited by smuhead; 02-09-2014 at 01:30 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »