Home

All-Star weekend for next gen??

This is a discussion on All-Star weekend for next gen?? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
All Star

Mintsa's Arena

OVR: 17
All-Star weekend for next gen??

Is allstar weekend in next gen 2k?? I just saw the prompt for the new jerseys and court but what about the events themselves???

Is it going to be some kind of downloadable content?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
Rookie

JDring's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: All-Star weekend for next gen??

It's a part of the MyGM and MyCareer game modes. If you just sim to the date in MyGM you can play the events fairly easily.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #3
Rookie

Rondorampage9's Arena

OVR: 2

I got the prompt, but the jerseys and court weren't there when I went to play?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
MVP

RangersCruz's Arena

OVR: 10

and it's still in houston smh
Old 02-06-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

If I can say, I still think an All-Star Weekend mode has a ton of potential. People still fondly recall NBA Live's version, which featured fun, intuitive, and customizable gameplay. Here's some suggestions I whipped up and threw into the Wishlist thread. I felt they might fit in here as well:

Reinvigorate NBA All-Star Weekend and Allow It to Be Played Outside of Assocations or MyCareers

I steadfastly maintain that NBA 2K13's Dunk Contest and 3-Point Shootout were largely ignored not because gamers are not interested in these events, but because these events were executed so poorly by 2K. Here are some improvements I feel would help breathe life into All-Star Weekend:

1. Re-institute a dunk contest control scheme that returns control the gamer: NBA 2K13 introduced an "intuitive, pick-up-and-play" control scheme. This consisted of pre-selecting a dunk name, watching a cut scene play out, and clicking random buttons a la Guitar Hero. At no point did gamers feel as though they were actually controlling what was happening on-screen. As such, there was very little sense of creativity, execution, and reward. It didn't feel like gamers were making players dunk. It felt like they were entering code to unlock a dunking cut scene.

I propose returning to a scheme similar to what was seen in earlier 2K's on the 360. Or perhaps, look back to NBA Live's successful dunk contest and implement some of their control aspects (which all felt very intuitive in contrast to 2K13's).

2. Implement an authentic rule structure. Allow rules to be customized by users: As fun as 2K's dunk contest may have been in 2K7 (and in subsequent years), one issue I was continually running into was a lack of customization. I liked participating, but I didn't always want to commit to a four-person, three round competition. I felt I was always speeding through other contestants or controlling them myself and still plodding along much more slowly than I would have preferred.

I'd recommend implementing true-to-life contest rules:
a. Two Rounds
b. Six Competitors
c. Two dunks per round
d. Two Finalists
e. 30-50 scoring range per dunk (five judges)

In turn, I'd also allow the number of contestants and rounds to be fully editable, so gamers could just play a one round, two person contest if they just want to have some quick fun.

3. Allow any dunker to enter the contest (including classic players and create-a-players)

4. Allow any jersey to be worn during the contest (home, away, alts, retros)

5. Dunk Contest Practice Mode

6. Include classic real-life dunk contest dunks into the list of possible dunk contest dunks (Harold Miner's signature reverse, Larry Nance's cuffs, Vince Carter's 360, Dwight Howard's sticker dunk, etc.)

7. Bonus: Include historic dunk contestants as possible participants: Imagine a system that allowed gamers to unlock 1987 Spud Webb for competition after winning a dunk contest with a player standing under 6'0''. Or how about unlocking 1994 J.R. Rider for winning a competition whilst implementing a between-the-legs dunk? A lot of awesome and rewarding potential there.

8: Offer classic All-Star Game jerseys as wearable options
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »