Home

How can you play effective on-ball Defense?

This is a discussion on How can you play effective on-ball Defense? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How can you play effective on-ball Defense?

I have played 2k since 2k6 always been great on D. Even the 2k14 on ps3 I locked people down, then I upgrade to PS4 and its like you cant play defense on anyone uptight, you have to just play back and shade them basically giving them shots. The intense D doesnt seem to work at all. Dont get it. Always a step slower than the player.

Anyone get a hang of it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Re: How can you play effective on-ball Defense?

i think the intense d is meant to use when you are in position and want to crowd them. its not meant to let you magnetize to the ball handler. when you use it you should already be in front of them. if they start to move let off the intense d and get back in position or close then use it again.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

could be input lag i had that problem when i had the ps4 hooked to the xb1 now i got it hooked to the tv and can play onball d alot better now
Old 02-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
MVP

I haven't really figured it out either really. In past 2ks you would react to the offense but on ps4 you basically have to predict what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Solis
I haven't really figured it out either really. In past 2ks you would react to the offense but on ps4 you basically have to predict what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this online or off?

Try checking your controller setting for offline... Change shot contest to always. Don't hold the L trigger as much, as I did this with previous games, and now it doesn't work to well with this game...

Cut off the angle. By this I mean, don't follow, anticipate the angle he is going, tapping the left stick, not holding it...

Make sure your defensive awareness, on-ball defense is up, if you're talking about my player... Quickness is especially needed for side to side movements... Speed is a must also. The CPU seems to be faster than you in every aspect, so to combat it, you have to put those things up... again if you're talking about My Career.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2
Thumbs up Re: How can you play effective on-ball Defense?

Offense wins over defense in this game. You must respect the ball handler. You cant just
lock up everyone you attempt to gaurd. It doesnt work like that.

Input lag
realistic simulation of movement
calling the right defense
knowing when to crowd the ball handler
knowing when to give the ball handler some apace.
knowing when to switch off.
Knowing what players are weak ball handlers and passers
knowing which players have what ratings on offense.

^^^are all factors involved in playing great defense on ps4.

As you can tell by my signature at the bottom, I've always been an Xbox Guy
so I said to myself, let me give the ps nation a try because it seemed like everyone
In The OS community played there. So now I play here. The learning curve on defense was
pretty harsh for me. I even grew frustrated at times because I couldnt figure the defense out
on ps4. Then all of a sudden it clicked in my head. There was a video that Da Czar posted
on about 2k13 about defense. After watching it a few times, everything made sense.

2k is getting away from the arcadish basketball where u can just do what you want on the court. Its all about strategy, timing, anticipation, and knowing your players out on the court, what they are capable of and what the opponents team is capable of as well.
So I say go out there and play and practice with every team and see their strengths and weaknesses. See whos got fast releases, slow releases, whos a lockdown defender, see whos tenacious rebounder..etc

Then find the teams you're comfortable playing with and lab with them online.

Hope this helps you.

Your neighborhood game wizard,

Mr. Leaderboards

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »