Home

Should 2k dump the pay to play model, or limit to online play only?

This is a discussion on Should 2k dump the pay to play model, or limit to online play only? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
Rookie

CoachDavid's Arena

OVR: 2
Should 2k dump the pay to play model, or limit to online play only?

It's been a few years since 2K introduced the Pay 2 Play model, and each year it has become progressively worse. I posted a reply about the DRM which is not DRM in 2K14.

The Xbox, ps3, ps4, and xbox one all have DRM built into the consoles. In order for 2K to add to this DRM they would have to add a one time use code, which was rejected by gamers and have since slowly disappearing.

Games are trying to take advantage of the micro transaction model to squeeze more money out of games. I don't believe the used game market has the same effect on annual titles such as Madden, 2K Basketball, COD, etch..., as games like GTV and others which have an ending and are release on a longer time cycle.

So why does 2K think they need more of our money? Because they can.

If 2K actively developed and added/updated features in the game to justify the micro transaction system, it might not be so bad, but... We've had four patches. Two of the patches were to make the game playable. A day one patch, and the February patch. The December patch was release to fix the trading and online issues. So what is my micro transaction money getting me. These patches would have been needed without the transactions.

Why should I purchase tattoos or basketball shoes to play offline? I paid 63 dollars for a game which had the potential of being the best sports title in history, and got head aches. I called support and wasn't even given a timeline on a possible fix. Support say send us an email an we will get to you.

How many of you would like the Pay to Play model to be taken out of 2K? If so, would you mind some form of this model for online gaming?

If 2K updated the game on a weekly or bi-weekly bases, adding new features, voice acting, story lines for the offline modes, would the pay 2 play model be ok?

I am a 2K fan, and 2k5 football was one of my all time favorite games, but I may be going back to EA next year. By the way I stopped buying Madden three years ago, when it was clear the lack of competition was making the game, bad. Ok not bad, just not good.

Last edited by CoachDavid; 02-22-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Fixing an over reach
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Should 2k dump the pay to play model, or limit to online play only?

First of all, you can't say the whole VC system has gotten worse. 2k13 was the first year hey used it and that game was basically begging you to buy VC. I have not found that to be the case with 2k14 at all. The game isn't forcing me to buy anything and I'm doing fine getting plenty of VC. Yes, I would like to see tattoos and accessories be free again but I've gotten so much VC just from mycareer games it doesn't really matter to me. I'm not sure why you call it pay to play if the game isn't forcing you to buy anything.
And you really think EA won't have micro transactions? Lol. At this point it wouldn't make sense for 2k to stop selling VC from a business stand point. They're making tons of money off of the MyTeam mode from people that just want to collect everyone. MyTeam is the only mode based off of a pay to win model. The rest of the game has been just fine for me.
Of course I can only speak for myself, and I'm sure there are people that agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #3
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

The micro transactions aren't there to get extra stuff in the game. They're there to get you the stuff that's already in the game a little faster. If you want stuff quicker, you can spend some additional money to purchase VC without having to "earn" it.

They aren't going to actively add modes, voice acting, etc to a game because they are busy developing for next year's title. I do agree that they've extended VC a little far (having to spend VC to adjust your rotation for example), but your argument is kind of all over the place. You're asking why 2K feels like they need more of our money!? Because they're a company operating in a capitalist society ... that's sort of the whole point. Make as much money as you can. If people are spending extra money on micro transactions, and 2K is bringing in extra dollars on their biggest sports title, why in the world wouldn't they do it?

They obviously need to be careful to not push customers too far with it's implementation as to create a backlash (which started to occur this year), but you'd better believe VC and micro transactions are here to stay in the gaming industry.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #4
Rookie

CoachDavid's Arena

VCs make online play favor the people who buy a 99 overall player. Most successful online games don't allow leveling without grinding. 2K is take the essence of a game which has seduced me into playing career mode to the tune of 8 seasons at 12 minutes.

They knew this yet they abused us. Couldn't play for a month, oh well.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #5
MVP

So you're upset with all the 99 overall players on the park? I'm really not sure what you're upset about anymore when you're talking about getting seduced and abused lol

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
MVP

WaddupCouzin's Arena

OVR: 11

Lol @DjSolis!

As you so eloquently stated in this thread and others, you don't have to buy VC, that's on the gamer. With that said, I would like to see some things taken out of my GM, but for MyPlayer, if you want to buy 35K in VC, have at it, it's your money, do as you wish.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Rookie

CoachDavid's Arena

I sometimes forget that when posting, it is often hard to stay on point. This is my fault.

My point is the way VCs are peddled. 2K has created RPG like modes not are not staying true to what has made them successful.

-VCs should not be shared between modes and characters.
-VCs which are purchased should not level up characters.

Play a successful game like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fable, or Fallout. Leveling is part of the draw.

I stopped going to the park when I saw no way of competition without purchasing points. When using my VCs, I try to keep earned points separate. Its hard because there is often points left so some points are shared.

I did find that if I disconnect from the internet and create a character that is offline, but when you do don't expect allot of the options like shoes and tattoos. I use the performance enhancement mod, but may forgo using them.

2K can reduce the cry for DRM removal, by simply listening to gamers.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
MVP

I know 2k has some light RPG elements but it's no where near as deep as those games you mentioned so I'm not sure that's a great comparison.
A big part of 2ks target is the casual audience. Most casual gamers don't play RPGs like Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls, they would rather skip the grind and dominate from the beginning. So 2k sells VC to keep those casual gamers around. That's fine with me. I couldn't care less about how someone plays my player.
As for the park, the whole game mode is a joke to me. Nothing to be taken as serious competition. You don't have to pay to compete on the park because theres no defense on the park anyway. You could easily go out there and play well with a 70 overall player.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »