Home

should you run plays when playing against someone online?

This is a discussion on should you run plays when playing against someone online? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
Pro

chris11sg's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: should you run plays when playing against someone online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto
No. It's too easy to steal from the ball handler to run any sort of offense online against randoms. Plays break instantly and the game lags too much. Used to run plays all the time in previous games but here it's useless. It's easier to get open by a simple sidestep than with a play, and just rushing to the rim without any strategy will net you insane FG%

This is true. What's your PSN? I like playing folks who like running a set offense.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

Follow me!- www.twitter.com/chris11sg
Old 03-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11sg
This is true. What's your PSN? I like playing folks who like running a set offense.
PSN is jaateloauto but I likely won't play the game much. Maybe I'll go back to PS3. The lag on next gen is too much for me. Any kind of resemblance of intelligent play is dead on next gen. Everyone shoots 70%.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

On second thought. Plays aren't always reliable smh . Sometimes you do gotta play a little cheesier to win because good basketball isn't always rewarded as much.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
Banned

RogerBlack's Arena

OVR: 0

Should you run plays when playing against someone online?

Uummmm. No. Never. Not at all.
Not if you actually want to WIN.

Because 2K Online is chock full of 'cheesers', who 'reach' constantly.
But will NEVER foul out. Or get tired.
Or get penalized in any way for spamming the steal button..

After they steal the ball from you... they dash to the 3pt line to jack up any ol' outrageous shot.. that will most likely go in. Regardless if you 'contest' it, or not.

Until 2K Developers decide to SPEND JUST 4 HOURS IN A ROW...'ANONYMOUSLY' PLAYING ONLINE... (i.e. Not playing against other Devs in the company game room, nor playing against anyone on their 'buddy list', nor playing against any popular 'YouTube Vloggers', nor playing against the 2K game testers... i.e. Playing against the 'real customers' who bought the game and did not get it for free) BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 4PM - MIDNIGHT.... TO EXPERIENCE THE 'REAL CHEESE' FOR THEMSELVES...AND FINALLY SOLVE ALL THE RAMPANT 'REACHING' & 'CHEESING', ONCE & FOREVER....

You will only be wasting your time.

See, games 'without cheese'.... are few and far between, when playing online.
They sneak up & catch you off-guard.

The only way to protect yourself from a 'decent game' is to combat it with the 'cheesy gameplay' that the 2K Developers meant for you to ABUSE.

So 'running plays', or 'playing defense'... are the VERY LAST things you ever should do online, imo.

Instead there's really only 3 things you need to do... IF PLAYING ONLINE:

1. Learn how to 'shake dribble'... just long enough to make a defender stumble.
(This is KEY. This will ensure you can swing the ball around the perimeter to actually accomplish #3, see below)

2. Memorize all your 'hot spots' beyond the arc.
(Because reckless jumpers taken from any ol' spot on the floor will not go in consistently. Remember that.)

3. Practice launching 3-pointers using the Shot Stick. Never use Buttons.
(This will ensure your 'cheese' ages to perfection. It is the most important aspect of delivering blowouts, or keeping your online games close in the 4th quarter... when the responsiveness of your joystick will diminish drastically, by design)

Welp, That's it.
There's really nothing else left. (besides spamming that 'steal' button)

Because attempting to 'play good defense', or 'boxing out', or 'setting up real plays' in NBA 2K14 is completely irrelevant... if you play online. (i.e. Save any of that 'real basketball' stuff for OFFLINE games only)

Do yourself a favor.... LEARN HOW TO 'CHEESE' PROPERLY... AND 'MASTER' IT... if you plan to play online AND stay competitive. At the same time.

Otherwise play offline. Exclusively.

(Or wait until 2K15 drops.)

Thank me later.

Last edited by RogerBlack; 03-14-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:54 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

All you have to do is run to the paint with a good team and you're gonna score almost everytime smh
Old 03-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #14
Rookie

Smile Re: should you run plays when playing against someone online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwabalicious
My offensive strategy depends entirely how I'm being played.

If the other team is constantly reaching and trying to take charges in the back court, the best thing to do is blow by and kick out to the open shooters after the help comes.

If they play a zone, draw the defense in and kick out to open shooters (zone defenses lose shooters that are 2+ passes away very easily). Even the 3-2 has a ton of holes on the perimeter.

The only time you really need plays to get shots off is if your opponent plays you straight up (which, sadly, is rare in 2k). Pick and roll offense works perfectly against players who don't play on the ball (Computer can't go around the screen without the animation). If they play on ball defense without reaching or taking charges in the back court, that is when you can feel free to open up your entire playbook.

Low post up plays are very useful because it is easy to score down low and nobody online sends the double team (it is actually very effective doubling a post player with the other big because the guards rotate over nicely). Aside from that, use pick and rolls and off ball screens.
Enjoyed reading and agree with most of this. However, I have found double teaming the post with the other big man has always ended up hurting me. I usually bring the guard over or (gasp), play on ball D.

Pick and roll is a B*tch to defend in this game! The computer always messes up on one of the assignments I am not controlling. Leaving one man open. A lot of people abuse this and they need to unix this NOW not in 2015.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
Just started!

This game on ps4 is a complete joke, I played a friend yesterday and it was his second time using the wizards, and all he did pretty much was shoot three's with trevor Ariza I find that shooting 3's the whole game takes no skill, and im sick of going against people who rely on bs to win. I mostly play man to man defense, using the right stick effectively to put hands up in people face, I also run plays 90% of the time, but guys im tired of all the bs. Btw I play with the Detroit Pistons, and I just started with the spurs recently.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #16
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Play on hof sim

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Youtube

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »