Home

A look at 2k14's P&R offense and defense

This is a discussion on A look at 2k14's P&R offense and defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: A look at 2k14's P&R offense and defense

are you saying that 2k should automatically implement they way teams defend P & R?

for example if pick the Heat, they will automatically blitz P & R ?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Would be a lot better than how it is now
Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Chip
are you saying that 2k should automatically implement they way teams defend P & R?

for example if pick the Heat, they will automatically blitz P & R ?
I would love for that to be the case, with the option to change it of course. 2k needs bring back the sig style for individuals and introduce it for teams.

I want to see an avalanche of p&r plays from the spurs with the corner three being the objective. Pass after pass going from good to great.

I want to see the blazers running angle pick and pops forcing a difficult baseline rotation.

I want to see that "play physical" poe burned to the ground because its so damn unrealistic from top to bottom.

Lol, I just want authentic basketball. Too much to ask?

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 07-01-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 33

Agree with the above, all editable, of course !

I would also love to see players OAw and DAw have a greater say on how oncourt actions developes ... affected by a coach presence.

This would surely aid the requested signature on two fronts, the individual and the team one. This way we should see good defenders doing their task within the schemes perfectly and bad defenders putting teams on a disadvantage, we would see teams whose coach favors one side of the court behave better than teams that dont. We could see the appreciable difference between IND starting lineup and its bench, both doing the same schemes. Bad teams doubling from the wrong side or not doing so at all, overcommiting to the screen, etc, etc.

The same on the other side, with players not cutting or doing so into a crowded space, not making contact when doing screens or setting the pick the wrong way, etc, etc ... we would get the consistency/inconsistency of good and bad teams on both sides of the court, as well as their real life schemes.

Anyways, here is to hope for a much needed focus on team signatures, on capturing more of the sport sim basics and on providing the user with improved and expanded editability, customization and options.

P.S:
Here are a couple of post/threads were something related was discussed, so hopefully 2K has taken notes and is/has implement some of them.
- Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pick-roll.html
- Post: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...1&postcount=29 - Thread: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-da_czar.html

Last edited by ffaacc03; 07-01-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #13
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

While I'm not a big fan of the way defense is represented in NBA2K, I also wouldn't want to see a situation where the CPU makes all of the off ball decisions for you either.

When it comes to pick and roll situations, the option exist to hedge the screen manually how you want now simply by selecting the screener's man and hedging and letting the on ball defender recover and retaking that defender over manually.

It also appears that when I play people they often double the ball handler in pnr situations already meaning the ability to the hard hedge is there.

To me the worst part of pick and roll on offense is how guys that set screens don't set the screen properly sometimes setting them flat and too far away from the ball handler.

On defense, the worst part of the pick and roll is that if you are controlling the on ball defender and he gets picked slightly and you continue to control him, the off ball corner defender completely leaves his man for a wide open three and the defender under the paint stays glued to his man when I think the opposite should occur.

Part of this programming is in place I think because the community at large complained about points in the paint and this was the short term fix for that when most points in the paint are obtained by more unrealistic interior passing and not off of pick and rolls.

The other thing about defensive settings is that while they might work well in man to man sets, I think those same settings overpower the zone.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #14
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com
While I'm not a big fan of the way defense is represented in NBA2K, I also wouldn't want to see a situation where the CPU makes all of the off ball decisions for you either.

When it comes to pick and roll situations, the option exist to hedge the screen manually how you want now simply by selecting the screener's man and hedging and letting the on ball defender recover and retaking that defender over manually...
And have CPU defenders do what if you don't select them?

I want my CPU defenders doing what I ask via defensive settings, based on their ratings. But I'm an on-ball defender.

And I like the idea of teams defending P & R like they do IRL by default.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.Coach2K.com

When it comes to pick and roll situations, the option exist to hedge the screen manually how you want now simply by selecting the screener's man and hedging and letting the on ball defender recover and retaking that defender over manually.

It also appears that when I play people they often double the ball handler in pnr situations already meaning the ability to the hard hedge is there.

To me the worst part of pick and roll on offense is how guys that set screens don't set the screen properly sometimes setting them flat and too far away from the ball handler.

On defense, the worst part of the pick and roll is that if you are controlling the on ball defender and he gets picked slightly and you continue to control him, the off ball corner defender completely leaves his man for a wide open three and the defender under the paint stays glued to his man when I think the opposite should occur.

Part of this programming is in place I think because the community at large complained about points in the paint and this was the short term fix for that when most points in the paint are obtained by more unrealistic interior passing and not off of pick and rolls.

The other thing about defensive settings is that while they might work well in man to man sets, I think those same settings overpower the zone.
a person could manually hedge or double, but what of the teammates? Its a team scheme, and they're supposed to be synchronized.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #16
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
And have CPU defenders do what if you don't select them?

I want my CPU defenders doing what I ask via defensive settings, based on their ratings. But I'm an on-ball defender.

And I like the idea of teams defending P & R like they do IRL by default.
I'm an on ball defender as well 90 plus percent of the time. Once you add a user to the equation, what I'm saying is that I'd like to see the user making as many of the decisions on defense manually as opposed to programming the defense.

I'd like the user on the spot to have to decide am I going to hedge this time? Am I going to go under the screen? And if so do it manually.

I expect the other CPU defenders to stay on the line between man and basket just like I will. Remember too that on a hedge I'm still guarding the ball manually just with the guy on the other side of the screener until my screened player recovers - not controlling a guy who isn't involved in the play at all on the opposite side of the court.

Some of this is going to be determined alot by who you are playing. If you are playing a human opponent, they are thinking on the other side. Once you establish your settings on the other side, most users I play are basically figuring out what the defense is taking away and then not doing that anymore and then you become a victim of your settings if you use a set it and forget it approach. A CPU opponent does that to some degree but isn't as quick a thinker.

I also like the idea of the teams defending like they do in real life. I'd prefer for example that Roy Hibbert stand on the take charge circle protecting the rim instead of locked behind his defender in a post animation not offering any help.

When it comes to the CPU, what you are saying is great, you'd like 30 different cpu playing styles when in reality there's just one CPU and it's basically programmed to play all the teams the same way.

Basically, in past 2K's before POE, you could make any team play defense above there ability in my opinion using settings and sliders alone and I don't really agree with that either.

In the end, I'm not really disagreeing that the CPU players need to be programmed to do something while we are on ball, it's just that I prefer as many decisions on defense be decided by the user on the spot as possible.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 07-01-2014 at 10:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »