Home

You Want To Help Fix The 2K Series? Let's Do It Here!

This is a discussion on You Want To Help Fix The 2K Series? Let's Do It Here! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #17
Rookie

Khaos_Kiwi's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: You Want To Help Fix The 2K Series? Let's Do It Here!

Just a couple of things off the top of my head:

Firstly, to add to wait primegamer said, please fix the queued button presses.

If I press pass it should do it then and there. Not 3 seconds later until the defence has gotten into position.

Secondly, no more "stuck in the mud" weird and artificial animation influence.

If I'm playing good D against the CPU, don't slow down my player just to allow the CPU with an open shot. Improve the AI to compensate against player skill, not cheap tricks like this.

Finally, let us have more control. It is very irritating to initiate help defence only to have your man score due to your player being stuck in a "body up" animation.

Might add some more ideas another time. Great thread by the way! Hopefully something constructive results from this too.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
MVP

Now this, this is an excellent thread and idea. The circle of people making a thread everytime something in the game pisses them off and then diehard 2k fans coming to defend the flaws was getting old. THIS, might get somewhere. We'll see. I'm pretty busy lately, but i'll do a quick summary of big issues for me. I'll get more in depth later.

Gameplay problems/legacy issues:

Rebounding- It's just very very bad. Too delayed, players have no awareness, the ball can be right in front of them and it will bounce off their arm or head or something weird. Size and positioning don't seem to matter very much while vertical determines waay too much. Kevin love is not a big leaper, but he's a great rebounder because of strength, positioning and timing. In this game, if you don't have hops, it's waay too hard to rebound. Less clunky slow animations and more explosiveness would be nice, too many times players react waay to slow to whats going on or seem to jump lethargically and without any intention of grabbing the ball. Or they go into some awkward stiff animation where the ball just bounces off their forearm or something when they could of just grabbed it if they actually reacted to the ball.

Passing - Needs to be redone, or drastically improved. Players pass with no awareness(how often do you see chris paul lose a ball because he passes the ball straight into a defender standing right in front of him). Plus, it seems to be programed into the game to make it so teammates cut AWAY from the ball, this is basketball 101 here. You learn this in grade school not to do that. But teammates in this game constantly cut away, or literally cut behind a defender as soon as a pass is made. We also need more control of what type of pass we throw, an option to throw a bullet pass, or a slower pass(possibly by tapping or holding the pass button) would be nice, and we need more control of when we want to lob, bounce, or chest pass. Yeah you can control when you bounce pass, but sometimes the game just makes you throw the worst type of pass possible for the scenario.

Loose ball Awareness- This is huge. Simply put, players act idiotic in a lot of loose ball scenarios. Players will tip a ball loose, and run clumsily into the ball unable to pick it up constantly. I've seen this happen waaay too much and have tons of replays of this. Not to mention, often times when the ball is tipped from a player, they do this stupid thing where instead of reacting, they like turn and look away or look around first before they can move, and i think that's just some animation(if it is, take it out ASAP). But the awareness is just ridiculously bad at times. I've had plays where a loose ball is tipped directly at one of my teammates, he doesn't catch it and it just bounces off his forearm, directly into the face of another teammate, not only did he not react, the ball literally bounced off his face and into the hands of the opposing team. Do i really need to explain why things like this shouldn't be happening all the time? It was painfully bad.

These are some of the main gameplay/legacy issues that have been in the game since 2k9. I'll address more later. I'll be interested to see if any 2k devs actually read this.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 7

My biggest complaints:

1- Physics

it's basically 2015, we just jumped another generation of consoles. Time to stop being lazy and go back to work again and leave the ps2 era canned animations, there is NO excuse. I'm tired of seeing the same animations over and over, year after year. I try to make a layup with lebron james and jose calderon gets in the way, the result ? the same canned animation of the famous 2 handed over the head contact layup which 99% of the times is missed (you know exactly which one I'm talking about) It doesn't matter if it's shaq vs mugsy bogues, same animation will trigger.

Fifa has a real time collision engine, madden has it, 2k still lives in the past. I guess it's easier for them to keep using the same engine over and over. But people is getting tired of it.

Same with ball physics . I shouldn't be able to take Roy Hibbert and being able to walk the court doing crossovers and behind the backs while the ball is glued on my hands. I shouldn't be able to smash turbo and run into defenders like a headless chicken and not dropping the ball even 1 time out of 50

2- Rosters

They SUCK (with capital letters), plain and simple, and they are a big part of some of the game's flaws. Whoever is in charge of rosters should have been fired years ago. I don't think many disagree with this. Why do the rosters suck so bad? Judging by the vast majority of the ratings , tendencies, skills it looks like this people not only doesn't even watch basketball, they can't even check a simple stats website like nba.com page and tune the ratings based on that.

3- Online - Dedicated servers , fix your damn online, fix the delay, fix the game modes. I've been 5 days without being able to play teamup... Also who the hell is the brilliant mind who took the decisions of removing all the customization options from the online association? What about the fantasy draft shortlists in these leagues? Have you guys seen it? All the players are mixed without following any kind of pattern . You can't sort them by name, or by position, or by overall, NOTHING. It's like if they put 2 monkeys with a keyboard to create the system. Surprisingly this has been like this for years.

4- Cheese and dumbed down gameplay

I don't think I need to expand on this but I will. Game gets easier every year, my player is the living proof of it. I quit it after 7 games averaging 15 10 with my 58 overall center on HOF and being named starter. I still remember when this mode came years ago , I had to fight in the training camp for a roster spot. I had to play the summer league. I had to earn my minutes. I could and was actually sent to the d-league when I sucked. Now I'm the star the very 1st game. It's ridiculous

Stop rewarding the cheesers in online gameplay and reward good and smart basketball instead. I shouldn't be penalized for trying to take good shots, while the guy who takes the ball to the rim 10 times out of 10 gets rewarded with momentum. The guy who does that should be the one penalized

5- AI- Just play one my player game and you will understand, my teammates are basically useless zombies.

I'm sorry and really sad to say it but 2k has become one of the laziest developers I've seen in years. They are lucky about not having any competition because if they would the same thing that happened to pro evolution soccer (the once king of soccer games) would happen to them

Sorry if I sound rude but as you can see I'm just another angry 2k customer

Last edited by Norris_Cole; 07-09-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #20
Cheeseproof.com

quehouston's Arena

OVR: 14

Gameplay:

Just get rid of the Sig skills. Once upon a time 2k played extremely realistically. Poster dunks and flashy passes happened at realistic rates, and great players could be stopped with great defensive strategies and execution via Defensive Settings and stick skills. Now posters happen every 3 times down the court, there are controls for flashy passes (Which is 100% unnecessary, imo), and players are constantly getting their ankles shredded because people spam the dribbling stick with Ankle Breakers. Sig Skills completely nullify any stick skills and leave you at the mercy of RPG-like characteristics. Thats not basketball man, and its extremely frustrating to play when I KNOW 2k was so much better than this. Lebron's finishing is already like 120, why give him a skill that boosts it even more to a 150? Its just redundant, and they need to be removed for realism's sake. I can't call this game a basketball SIM if these are present.

I've been saying this for a while in other threads, but I'm going to say it again:

Bring back the Isomotion controls. Those controls WERE 2k. It had the perfect balance between learning curve and intuitiveness. It took skill to master. I had to lab in practice mode for HOURS before I was comfortable taking my skills online. I feel like this could easily be done simply by taking Flashy Passing off of LT/L2, because that doesn't need its own control. I feel like the animations ran so much smoother with this control scheme. Animations now are so choppy because there's that gap between a dribble move while tapping the stick, and a shot while holding the stick. So if I wanted to do a spin jumper, my player does a spin dribble move first, then he's like "Oh wait, you held the stick.", then he starts a WHOLE NEW animation for the spin jumper...its just not smooth. You guys have stuffed way too much on the right stick. Bring back Isomotion, or at least have it as an option.

MyCareer:

It just needs to be realistic. Plain and simple. Draft combine, Summer League, Training Camp, D-League...why move backwards by taking those things out? If i'm a rookie drafted mid/late first round, then let me be a rookie. Let me come off the bench. Why is my coach telling me to score 10 straight points? Why do my teammates act like they can't function without me? Why is Kobe my teammate, but he's deferring to me? The selfishness that is promoted in this mode is a huge turn off for me. It pains me going on twitter and seeing people bragging about how they are averaging 67-15-10 per game as a rookie, then Ronnie or LD2k retweet them, like thats the way things are supposed to be....

And VC shouldn't replace salary. Eww.

MyGM/Association:

Separate the two.

I don't care what is gonna be done with MyGM if there is a separate Association mode.

But as far as Association goes, everything we had before. We just need the new CBA, D-League, Summer League, Sign and Trades, players willing to take pay cuts to bring in talent, differences in market sizes, and realistic team building, and a weekly highlight/news show wouldnt hurt.

Star players should NEVER sign with small market teams, EVER. I don't know why this always happens. Just because a team has money doesn't automatically mean they should attract big FAs.

A players market value should depend on his statistically production, not his OVR rating. I'd actually be okay if we had an option to completely hide player ratings and let us just go off statistics and advance statistics to decide how good a player is. That's how its done in real life right? I'd be completely cool with an option for something like that in Association. "Player Ratings: Overall/Statistics"

Online:

We just need a COMPLETE OVERHAUL of the servers. That probably the biggest issue in this whole series right now. If we are gonna have to be connected to the servers at all times for VC purposes, can we at least have good servers? Its like inviting your friends over to your house for drinks, but you don't have a house.

Crew mode would be nice, I never really got deep into that, but I know it has a huge following.

Lobbies need to return.

And I'd like to have a Group/Community feature in the game also. Let people create Communities based on interests or location, like "Lakers fans" or "East Carolina University Students" (My school lol). That would allow us to pinpoint the type of people we want to play with...you guys know where I'm going with this. We could then create a "Operation Sports" community and get the Sim games we are looking for instead of gambling in Quick Ranked and getting cheesers 98% of the time. Just a idea.

I really want 2k to get back to the basketball pinnacle. But they are gonna have to really sit down and analyze exactly what has gone wrong the past couple years.
@_quehouston and @cheeseproof

Last edited by quehouston; 07-09-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #21
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

I partially agree with the post above mine regarding controls. But I like dribbling being on the right stick, rather than the left. It's more intuitive to have the hands and feet separated.

That being said, they need to remove the flashy pass modifier completely. First, it only goes in the direction you actually aim about 50% of the time. Second, it seems to choose a random animation for what pass to perform, rather than what would fit the situation. I try to use it when I want to throw a behind the back pass usually, and I end up throwing some weird pass over my shoulder. The same goes for normal passing: make the pass type fit the situation. Too many turnovers because I try to throw a chest pass through a defender instead of an easy lob pass over his head, or swing the ball around him to the open man.

Personally, I would prefer the modifier to be used for quick, in-motion directional passing rather than flashy passes, similar to what NBA Live 10 had. This is especially useful in My Career when I'm not positive what position someone is playing at the moment, but I need to make a quick pass before the window closes (ie icon passing would take too long).

I would prefer they went back to 2k13's shot modifier, as I think that would alleviate the issue mentioned above of something like a spin move, then new animation for a shot. I think that would also make it a lot easier to chain together dribble moves realistically into a smooth shot, rather than accidentally shooting or pump-faking when mean to do a crossover.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6
You Want To Help Fix The 2K Series? Let's Do It Here!

@QueHouston I agree with everything you listed. Good list. I would love for the "flashy" passes to be like they used to be where it happened based on the players tendencies or situation.

It would be cool if you could do it when you'd like, but I also feel players should do it by just passing regularly sometimes.

I rarely ever use the command to do a "flashy" pass because I have no idea who the ball is going too.
At least in past 2Ks, I could bring up my icons and pass to I want and he would do a flashy pass based on his tendency and the situation.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #23
MVP

friscob's Arena

OVR: 8

Vc should be limited to mycareer and myteam. Keep it out of mygm. If it finds its way in there you should get it for simming games too. If the devs are worried about ppl farming it then just keep it out of there. Simple things like adjusting rotations, firing/hiring staff, etc should never cost a thing

Ability to adjust season and playoff series length

Sign and trades

Create a player

Old individual defensive settings

Crisper, faster passing

Sliders in offline mycareer

Less cheezy storylines in mycareer, should be more of a blank canvass

2014 Cleveland Browns 13-3
2015 Cleveland Browns 6-1
GT: MouthyRat
Old 07-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #24
MVP

jayman504's Arena

OVR: 5

Control Control Control....Im sure EVERYONE on this board perhaps played some type of organized sports at some point in their lives. Now when the game first starts all players are playing "jacked" up moving with crisp percision and with speed and purpose....now at some point during the game we all get tired ...movement maybe be sluggish and in need of a sub. The same should be applied to NBA 2k14. Movement should be fatigue based and the more you play a player the sluggish his movements should be "forcing" you to sub him for a fresh player that can move with adreneline.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »