Home

Player Speed Ratings and actual Sport VU Data

This is a discussion on Player Speed Ratings and actual Sport VU Data within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Player Speed Ratings and actual Sport VU Data

Rob Jones made an interesting statement about statistics related to Caron Butler and his field goal percentages, whether he was in a catch and shoot situation, or if he were to shoot off the dribble. NBA 2K15 now features distinct ratings for both events, if a player decides to take a jump-shot.

How much of a role did advanced statistics play in determining player attributes? Player speed ratings appears to be one of the grayest of areas in all professional sports simulations. However, the NBA's recent usage of SportVU data would seemingly provide us with overwhelming amounts of precise measurements for ratings, right?

For example, all centers and power forwards aren't slow footed in reality, in contrast to their plodding 2K counterparts. Tristan Thompson, Andre Drummond, and Spencer Hawes have been tracked to run a pace above 4 miles per hour last season (which is faster than most players we generally perceive being faster). The same is true for guards and forwards who more than likely use a decent amount of off-ball screens to free themselves up for an open shot.

There's actually a sizable amount of "slow" players that are clocking speeds that are roughly the same or higher than names such as LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade, etc. Physics suggests that taller players do own longer strides while walking or running, yet smaller players are definitely better endurance runners. However, I digress.

Will we see a more accurate representation of today's athletes on the floor with the advent of such data?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Player Speed Ratings and actual Sport VU Data

I sure hope we get fast Dre Drummond and slow Nash. Not the other way aroung.

slight OT - what are DEFCON and OFFCON ratings? Awareness or sth?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 14

Very, very true. This has always been a pet peeve of mine because its not realistic. Some athletic bigs can clear the court as fast as some guards. The ratings there have been way too imbalanced. Speed is something they need to generate via data, because their eye test has not been on point the last few years(ie Kyrie Irving 95 speed, Chris Bosh 54). And then when you have guy like Blake Griffin at 74 and Bosh at 54 and Dwight at like 56, these are things that cause players to feel cheesy.

Edit: Looking at this link, a combination of this data plus draft combine sprint and agility ratings could be tools by which a speed and quickness rating can be generated. These stats alone don't do much to specify top sprint speed.

Last edited by eko718; 09-13-2014 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KB24
slight OT - what are DEFCON and OFFCON ratings? Awareness or sth?
Looks like they broke up Consistency into Offensive and Defensive categories now.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 12

You bring up some interesting points.
I think there are a few more factors that have to be taken into account:

*Taller players (or "plodding" ones) may have a high top speed, but it may take them longer to accelerate and get to top speed.

*Though capable of fast movement, the energetic price (i.e. fatigue) deters such players from running at top speed.

*there has to be a clear divide between potential and behavior. When joining the offence many centers take their time, sometimes also as a part of establishing the possession (Marc Gasol, for example, will join slowly and get the ball around the elbow to set up the play) or recovering from the defensive and rebounding effort exerted. What I am trying to say is that the pace or characteristic speed has to be correct, and in my mind is more important than top, open court, speed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Its not just athletic 4s and 5s getting short changes. You got guys like Quincy Acy with a 60 speed.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #7
Just started!

This has always been a pet peeve of mine because its not realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »