Home

NBA2K15 different types of Freelance offense

This is a discussion on NBA2K15 different types of Freelance offense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
NBA2K15 different types of Freelance offense

So considering there are around 6 different types (swing, pace, triangle, etc) it would be great to get a short explanation of how each of the 6 work. So more of us can understand how these work whether we're executing it or defending against it. Can anyone here do that so more of the community can learn their types of freelance options better?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA2K15 different types of Freelance offense

There are three videos up so far of Da_Czar going through different sets, in detail. I think he covered the Swing Motion, Triangle, and 4-1, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

OVR: 1

There are 7 offensive sets and each one has the same 3 options:

Space the floor: players space the floor as is usual for that offense, giving you room to isolate, post up, basically do what you want while the offense tries to space itself around you

Motion cuts: players make cuts to get the offense off-position and run action that's triggered by certain passes

Freelance offense: players make cuts plus run sets for you that can directly lead to scoring opportunities

And the 7 types of sets you can run:

3-2: 3 players outside and 2 inside

4-1: 4 outside 1 inside

Swing: offense is always moving to try to create offense ala the Spurs offense. Screening for, post ups, baseline screens, flare screens, handoffs, some triangle elements, all kinds of stuff basically swing the ball from side to side and keep moving

Triangle: just uploaded a video on it a few minutes ago

Eighty: 1980's action with when the 3pt shot wasn't prevalent. Most of the time all 4 players inside the 3pt arc trying to create mid range shots, post ups and isolations

Pace: what the Heat have been running the past couple of seasons. Four guys outside, simple action to create shots relying more on the individual skill than complex plays.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Rookie

Quick question I run with the knicks and i put it on Triangle and Motion/freelance.... they seem to come down in the same set up everytime unless i call a play or i put playcalling on auto, thats the only time i see different action. im looking for more movement and different action without always calling a play. Iam i missing something here

Question: So what's better Triangle/motion? or Triangle/Freelance

Last edited by Mr.Zip; 10-13-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #5
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

Triangle pretty much always starts with the same setup, but who you choose to pass to engages different sets. With motion offense they mostly run always the same thing depending on where you pass but freelance action the game might run a few different sets for you.

Motion vs. freelance is really how much you want to be in charge. If you're open for the plays to automatically develop for you you can choose freelance. Although in fact even with freelance calling plays you can still choose to make a different pass and the game will adapt to it.

When putting the playcalling on auto the game will run sets from the playbook rather than the freelance action. With the Knicks their playbook happens to contain pretty much only triangle plays so just having playcalling on automatic works for that team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Rookie

To add

Pace and Space works as an aggressive PnR 4-1 out offense. If you don't do anything with the ball for a second, someone's either going to come set a screen on the ball (or 2 guys will come to the ball) or the guy closest to you is going to clear out. This offense only works with a shooter at 4. Preferably a guy who can handle the ball as well but it's not really necessary. Ideal offense if you have multiple guys that can iso + PnR.

Can also work well with a faceup 5 (like Bosh). PnPs. The spacing is really nice for him to attack from 12-18 feet. This is almost like an extra though. You'd be fine with a guy who can only set screens well and roll to the rim.

3 out 2 in: As far as I can tell - maybe I haven't been able to trigger the actions correctly - but this offense is geared for post up bigs. Passing it from middle to wing triggers the middle guy to cut and be replaced by the opposite wing guy. While this happens, the big closest to the ball tries to seal his man for a post up. You can swing the ball around and the same action seems to take place.

Good offense if you have a strong low post PF or/and C.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #7
Pro

jaateloauto's Arena

I forgot to mention the 7th set which is 2-3 zone. It's basically the 2-3 killer play that 2K13. It's designed to get easy looks against that zone.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #8
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Zip
Quick question I run with the knicks and i put it on Triangle and Motion/freelance.... they seem to come down in the same set up everytime unless i call a play or i put playcalling on auto, thats the only time i see different action. im looking for more movement and different action without always calling a play. Iam i missing something here

Question: So what's better Triangle/motion? or Triangle/Freelance
They will usually start the freelance actions about 4-5 seconds after you get across half court. So even if you don't call a play, they don't immediately start the movement.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »