Home

Tips on Scoring Inside?

This is a discussion on Tips on Scoring Inside? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Tips on Scoring Inside?

Hey all, been loving this game. I'm getting better (especially with the shot meter), but I'm having a really hard time scoring inside. Even wide open gimme layups fail 2 out of 3 times. There are no shot meters on these, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here? Holding the shot button too long maybe? I'm at the point now where if I get a wide open shot 5 feet from the basket, I'll just pass it outside because contested jumpers for me go in at a higher rate than layups. I'm playing on default Pro. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Tips on Scoring Inside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
Even wide open gimme layups fail 2 out of 3 times.
If this is actually true then that sounds like a bug. I think I've missed maybe one wide open layup in like 50 games played, and I get maybe 20 pts a game from layups. Playing on superstar sim. I have 8 points in Inside Scoring so like 71 driving layup.

Last edited by aimlessgun; 10-27-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:25 AM   #3
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
Hey all, been loving this game. I'm getting better (especially with the shot meter), but I'm having a really hard time scoring inside. Even wide open gimme layups fail 2 out of 3 times. There are no shot meters on these, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here? Holding the shot button too long maybe? I'm at the point now where if I get a wide open shot 5 feet from the basket, I'll just pass it outside because contested jumpers for me go in at a higher rate than layups. I'm playing on default Pro. Thanks!
Here buddy, check out my post moves videos for scoring inside:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1i...BUiq_t3oS01_jq
Old 10-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #4
Rookie

You need to try and get as many uncontested shots as possible. Contested shots will often miss right under the basket, even if it looks like a relatively straight forward bucket.

Learn the post moves, and pay attention to players strengths (i.e. some players prefer fadeaways, hooks, back to the basket, faceup etc). But probably the easiest tip to pickup and improve straight away is to throw a lot of fakes. Sometimes the CPU will bite. Sometimes they will just stand there with their hands in the air, in which case you can try and drive past them.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Spend time in practice learning the post moves.

Unlike last year you cannot use the same moves over and over again.

And as Pacers said some guys are better at different things.

One of my problems early on was trying to get to creative and making things harder. An example is upon receiving the entry pass in good position with Gortat I would try a up and under or string a bunch of moves together. I had little success. But now if I have good position I back down one or two steps and then do a normal hook move with better results.
You cannot do that every time though so I make sure to mix it up.

Also pump fakes at the rim are your friend. After a drive or a post move it may look like you have a easy layup but if you have a bad angle or your body is positioned awkwardly you will probably miss. Pump fake and you will square up with the basket (and possibly get the defender in the air).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Banned

WISports's Arena

There's definitely way too many missed layups and bunnies in this game. NBA players don't miss layups like they do in this game. Sometimes, yeah. But not at this alarming rate.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Make sure your finishing with your off hand while driving if there's a defender in your way....a lot of the misses come from driving directly into the defender and pushing the stick (or hitting the X button in general) in their direction

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »