Home

Players should only a limited number of moves.

This is a discussion on Players should only a limited number of moves. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Players should only a limited number of moves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
No players shouldn't be limited in the number of moves they can do,

but there should be multiple 'fail' animations for every move, so those who are being used beyond their skill-set can fail appropriately.
yeah, this is how it should be done, and it already is like that to a degree. basically, if you try to do killer crossovers and behind-the-backs with a center, he should just lose the ball or do an EXTREMELY slow, ineffective version of the move to the point that it's basically useless. this would basically be the same as not being able to do the move as the OP is suggesting.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
yeah, this is how it should be done, and it already is like that to a degree. basically, if you try to do killer crossovers and behind-the-backs with a center, he should just lose the ball or do an EXTREMELY slow, ineffective version of the move to the point that it's basically useless. this would basically be the same as not being able to do the move as the OP is suggesting.
Lol since last year I have a friend who takes his center straight down the lane in park/rec spamming behind the backs and it just makes me scratch my head. Why is he so much faster and can get through so many more people by doing a harder dribble than his basic?
Old 11-29-2014, 01:24 PM   #11
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
2 trains of thought to this... that's not necessarily true.

Guys have abilities whether they perform them or not.

Of course thats a small sample but the point of it wasn't to show they can cross over or whatever, just that guys have abilities even if they aren't in game trying to show them off, they are definitely capable.

Secondly people complained about so much control, they have it there because of complaints. Not the moves but putting control in the users hands.

However they gave us the ability to edit if you don't like it still. IMO its always a win. I've noticed that alot of guys have complained over the years and 2k catered to those complaints and it ends up in the game, then people complain they don't want that not remembering what the complaints were in the past.

Not that im arguing here, I just think that there are other points to be made to this particular train of thought. OF course there should always be defensive counters, but then again alot of people don't like defense as much as they pretend on these forums.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #12
MVP

Eman5805's Arena

OVR: 15

The up and under stuff from guys who never do the moves IRL is written into the code simply as a means the CPU uses to score on human players. Press the block button in the post? Triggers the up and under. Press steal on an idle ball handler? Triggers them to drive the lane. Try to lead pass? Triggers the CPU to get a hand up at the exact same time causing unrealistic ball deflections and steals.

Just how the game is made. Puts the artificial in artificial intelligence.

Still a great game though.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
No players shouldn't be limited in the number of moves they can do,

but there should be multiple 'fail' animations for every move, so those who are being used beyond their skill-set can fail appropriately.

I remember 2k8 had players fall when they were dribbling. It didn't look right. Sometimes they would lose the ball though, that looked okay.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Banned

How 'bout limit badges, boosts, etc. When attribute caps were introduced, its whole purpose was to bring some realism to the my players ratings. Boosts undo all that realism which = arcade. But 2K will keep boosts because of the VC cash smh. I suspect at some point, and I'm sure that point has already been crossed, there's going to have to be a decision on what's the priority: REALISTIC SIMULATION OR CASH FROM VC? But just a suggestion, the commitment to realism is what popularized NBA 2K to begin with, not selling out to VC cash cow antics.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #15
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls
One of the many things I hate about this game, that I feel the other game does better as well, is certain players playing like they shouldn't as you mentioned.

When you got guys like Joel Freeland coming into the lane putting up floaters (this is online by the way) and hitting them, not only is it an eyesore but it also makes the game that much more arcadey and difficult to stop your opponent.

Not only do you now have to defend a Lillard and Aldridge along with there 3 point threats but now you gotta deal with this madness as well.

The game is just way too easy to score, and too easy to score with role players especially doing moves they shouldn't be doing and the ball going in. Along with dealing with contested shots falling. I just feel it's way better to defend in the other game and it moves at a much more realistic pace. Nothing everything is gonna fall in that game but this game is beginning to be too predictable.
I'm telling you man, I've been there. Not online, but playing against friends on the couch. It's maddening. I have done it myself, too. But it happens more because I still cant figure out 2K's control scheme. Sometimes I back down and do a hook shot like I'm trying to, and sometimes Noah spins out and does a fadeway jumper. I'm cool with that stuff on casual or default because, hey, it's a videogame. But give me the option to emulate reality as close as possible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #16
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelPhenom
You'll never EVER get the perfect video game simulation. But what you can do is dig into the ratings yourself and make changes towards what you want to accomplish. A great start is the removal of badges.
It's less about getting a perfect videogame (there's no such thing) and more about getting more realism within the confines of said game. Again, I'm not advocating a dramatic change. Just an optional more authentic simulation experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »