Home

When to go for steals?

This is a discussion on When to go for steals? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
When to go for steals?

Once upon a time I remember to stop dunks and layups you did steals to trigger it off the dunkers leg. Steal animations were almost automatic in certain situations. Are steal animations still like that and when is the best time to trigger a steal?

When is the best time to go for steals this year does it still work with layups? Ive seen one video where it looks like its still easy to get steals when chasing the pg from behind but it was from 14 is this still true for 15?

What about when say they sorta bump into you while driving should you try a steal then? I know I always lose it when doing a iso move into the cpu but they usually dont go as far as doing an iso move more just driving into me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Pro

itchyroll_51's Arena

Re: When to go for steals?

Don't go for steals, play solid good defense and steals will come to you naturally. Only time i suggest it is if you have a great stealer like Paul, Peverly, Collison and someone mediocre is driving into the lane. If is like a Rnady Foye layup and Collison is on the help side then yah run across and go for a steal. Otherwise just play defense and make solid rotations; bump the ball with you body ? Don't "reach".
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
Rookie

I'm a PG. I usually read the situation and try to anticipate the ball coming back to the PG I'm guarding, and play the passing lane.

You could try "stealing" as your opponent starts the dunk/layup animation. You might strip it, but it may not always end up a steal.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 6

When you have fouls to give and your backup is in.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

crowding the ball handler tends to work for me... theyll eventually got for some sort of sizeup/spin/crossovers and the ball will make some type of contact animation and poke free
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-27-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyroll_51
Don't go for steals, play solid good defense and steals will come to you naturally. Only time i suggest it is if you have a great stealer like Paul, Peverly, Collison and someone mediocre is driving into the lane. If is like a Rnady Foye layup and Collison is on the help side then yah run across and go for a steal. Otherwise just play defense and make solid rotations; bump the ball with you body ? Don't "reach".
Thanks. This is what I've been doing but I've also been wondering if there was a way to user force more turnovers with steals. I use a slider set I like a lot and the game plays great, but one area that's not quite right yet is user team steals.

But with your input here you've saved me from experimenting and fouling guys out.

Keep up the great work on the videos. Just last night I was frustrated because I continually had trouble with hand off passes. Watched your video and then had a game where I was able to use it well for some really sweet plays. It was awesome.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

At the moment I'm trying to learn to tip lead passes on Fastbreaks . Seem like my guy always bounces back , slides back , or just doesn't respond
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 01-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
MVP

Yeah, the timing is different this year and i'm trying to get the hang of it. Forcing the computer into a bad pass and anticipating the pass helps of course. On ball stealing is something that i don't try as much as i did last year, i kinda wait for moments when i see someone dribbling recklessly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »